Different Headlights?

pcb

The Diagram Dude
:
2002 MP5
... Its like mazda just used same plug for both cars but wired them different? ...

That's what I think.
My parts car, which is a P5 with P5 headlight housings, had the sedan, dual filament bulb, plugged into the low beam part of the headlight housing.

It's the wrong bulb, which didn't secure into the headlight housing properly, but the electrical connector plugged directly on to the bulb without an adapter.

Mazda was just taking shortcuts and used the same damn plug for both the sedan and the P5.

What a PITA.

I still haven't got my damn headlight installed.

My car is dripping with oil spray/undercoating and I can't seem to get the damn bulb into the housing without getting oil on it.

Your not even supposed to touch the bulb because the oil on your skin will contaminate the bulb and shorten its life.

This is a good example of where Mazda should have introduced an SST to help us install the damn bulb.
I can't reach in there while holding the fricken bulb.

Has anyone ever played this game ??

I keep setting off the buzzer and glowing up his nose....

Screenshot_20210404-052832_Gallery.jpg
20210404_053430.jpg

Last edited:
:
Dallas, TX
:
2003 Protege5
That adapter is used because the prongs on an h7 bulb are more narrow than the 9003/h4. Which is the spacing on the wiring plug for the p5. Its like mazda just used same plug for both cars but wired them different? I guess it could also act as a heat sink too. Or be the reason p5 s use so many bulbs. The hi beam is a 9005 i believe and the plug goes right onto the bulb no adapter needed.
I would agree that a retrofit to hids - if time and money permit - are far superior to regular bulbs in terms of output and life expectancy. Assuming you use quality parts. Mine lasted 10 years with alot of night driving.
As mentioned previously, dielectric grease on the prongs of both the bulb and adapter is the answer to their burning out. My factory bulbs lasted six or so years before dying and after replacing them with name brand bulbs, they'd burn out every year - eventually scorching the white plug of the wiring harness. After years of dealing with that, I read here about dielectric grease and voila, problem solved.

I looked at installing HIDs but was afraid I'd blind other motorists as our reflectors (or whatever they're called behind the bulb) aren't designed for HIDs. I imagine yours were awesome while you had them. My neighbor loved her Civic coupe's aftermarket HID setup, but one ballast had become damaged in a fender bender and that was all the reason I needed to yank them out and put her back to stock.

If one's headlights are foggy and polishing them will allow more light to pass through, that might help. Consumer Reports back in '02 said the Protege5 had the best headlights of any car made that model year, so they're not all bad. :)

Reactions: pcb
:
2003 protege 5
Retrofitting projectors into the housings are night and day difference. I agree that hids should not be put into halogen housings tho as it throws light everywhere and turning them down defeats the purpose. I retrofitted mine because of the bulbs burning out quite often even when I used dielectric grease. Sometime after that I learned the silverstars while brighter have a shortened lifespan.

On another note I found a kit on amazon called cerakote for polishing and sealing headlights. It's fairly inexpensive and supposedly protects for as long as you own the car. All I know is 1 year in and no foggy look or need to re-clean. I do wax them when i do the car and they still look brand new. For $25 I took the gamble and am happy so far.

Latest posts