2013~2016 Different audio unit connector type in CX-5 first generation?

Hi

I would like to replace the radio unit that I have in my CX-5. It is Mazda 2.0 2015, and my audio unit is a simple one, without color LCD and w/o navi. It is panasonic KA1F. But it seems that there is something different/wrong with connectors that the radio is connected to my car. It is a shape of the connectors. Anywhere where I was looking for radio replacement, I found out that the shape of the connector is like on attached pic#1 (I took the photo somewhere from the internet)

pic1.jpeg

But I have totally different plugs. Take a look at this two white connectors (3 photos below, from my car):
- one is 24-pin connector (2 rows, 12 pins in each row) and
- the second is 20-pin (2 rows, 9 pins plus 1 additional on each side).
I guess that one is for power cord and the second is AUX. My car cables do not fit to the connectors above (I bought Android radio and they sent me cables that have similar shapes to above)

myTAU2.jpeg

Even at www.mcx5.org/audio_unit_without_color_lcd_-233.html there is description only for terminal that I dont have.

Does it mean that my Mazda dealer spoiled something in my car and replaced the original connectors with something else? Or this other connectors still have valid shape but different version? If it is valid where can I find an adapter to connect radio unit with this popular plugs to my car? Or maybe there is other way to connect radio to my connectors?

Thanks for any help
Jack

@Jacek
All that looks to be factory (no funny dealer business). What region of the world are you in?
I suggest taking a look at Metra

I used a Mazda 2015 CX-5 Sport model and found:

Maybe look at the other trim levels and see if something matches.

also

this is also gonna be helpful (spoiler alert this person made their own):

and because it might helpful someone down the road:

also if you have read this far and STILL havent found what you are looking for... time to DIY

you can find gems like this (may or may not be for your Mazda, this was a random attempt at matching your photos):

Last edited:
thanks @CX5_Driver for your answer. I will take a look.

My Mazda is for Europe, Poland (not sure if it matters which country, AFAIK all made in Japan).

Meanwhile I have found an interesting information, where @guy989 says something about CX5 "2017+ TAU with the new small 20 pin connection".

Looks like connector I have. guy989 points out that he used NN04RB connector which is for...Nissan. This hint led me to the Qashqai site, https://www.qashqaiforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=8074. Over there is a photo of Nissan radio with quite similar connectors. Not 100% sure if it the same size but the rest looks the same.

Now I am totally lost? Nissan? Any partnership between nissan and mazda?

@guy989 - do you have any other information regarding new TAU connectors?

The tricky part for "My Mazda is for Europe, Poland " is yes there are regional differences that may be required for local regulations. Even if the vehicle was made in (assembled) Japan. I suggest a CALL (yes on the phone) to any of the companies I listed above and talk to a person. They often have cross reference materials not available on their websites. Also a visit to a local car audio installer might yield good results because.. well that is what they do for a living. Even if you have to pay for 30 minutes of their time to give you a solution (unlikely) it would be worth the time and money.

@Jacek I wouldn't put too much thought into the TAU connectors being the same for Nissan / Mazda -- there are only so many connectors to use without re-inventing the wheel.. and just like airbags .. no one makes their own audio solutions.. the car manufacture sends the specification to another vendor and that vendor sends back a solution.

Hi

I would like to replace the radio unit that I have in my CX-5. It is Mazda 2.0 2015, and my audio unit is a simple one, without color LCD and w/o navi. It is panasonic KA1F. But it seems that there is something different/wrong with connectors that the radio is connected to my car. It is a shape of the connectors. Anywhere where I was looking for radio replacement, I found out that the shape of the connector is like on attached pic#1 (I took the photo somewhere from the internet)

View attachment 233781

But I have totally different plugs. Take a look at this two white connectors (3 photos below, from my car):
- one is 24-pin connector (2 rows, 12 pins in each row) and
- the second is 20-pin (2 rows, 9 pins plus 1 additional on each side).
I guess that one is for power cord and the second is AUX. My car cables do not fit to the connectors above (I bought Android radio and they sent me cables that have similar shapes to above)

View attachment 233779
Even at www.mcx5.org/audio_unit_without_color_lcd_-233.html there is description only for terminal that I dont have.

Does it mean that my Mazda dealer spoiled something in my car and replaced the original connectors with something else? Or this other connectors still have valid shape but different version? If it is valid where can I find an adapter to connect radio unit with this popular plugs to my car? Or maybe there is other way to connect radio to my connectors?

Thanks for any help
Jack
Hi @Jacek, did you find an harness finally. I have the same car radio as you in my Mazda cx5 2015 and wanted to change it for an android unit. But I have the same problem as you had. Thanks to let me know if you found a solution. Redge

From what I understand, the CX-5 used the following connectors on their Basic Headhunt from 2012 to 2015 :

638-72088-NOA-5-03302023_720x@2x.jpg

Then they change for 2016 to this :

myTAU.jpeg

And I read that for the 2016 version I need this harness (Metra 70-7552) that is also working with Nissan and Subaru :

61ZXWBro2DL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Can someone confirm that to me?
Somebody has the pinout for the 2016 version? All I find is the 2012-2015 pinout.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back