Poll Did you choose the CX-5 over a German SUV?

Did you choose the CX-5 over a German SUV?

• Yes

Votes: 51 64.6%
  • No

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I have both

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • In the market and leaning towards the CX-5

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • In the market and leaning towards a German SUV

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Antoine

Administrator
Inspired by a thread @Avoidin Deer posted in the Lounge regarding Mazda sales in the Middle East...I’m very curious as to how many CX-5 Owners were seriously considering a German SUV (Benz, BMW, Audi etc) but were ultimately sold on the CX-5.

Cast your vote and post your reasons and thoughts, thanks!

When I purchased in 2012 my first cx5 i was trying to get a tiguan but couldn't get financing. Was able to get it at Mazda.

When I purchased in 2012 my first cx5 i was trying to get a tiguan but couldn't get financing. Was able to get it at Mazda.
...and the rest is history! 😁

Glad you did man otherwise we would be without you and it just wouldn't be the same...That said, still thinking about VW or are you firmly a CX-5 / Mazda kinda guy?

After a few months of looking I was close to buying a GLC or a Q5 when I decided to check out the CX5 turbo. I was sold right away.

I've had great success with chosing Mazda's in recent years. Owned a 2013 Miata PRHT for 6 years, a 2016 Mazda 6 for 2 years, wife has a 2018 CX5 and I just replaced a Jeep Renegade with my own 2019 CX5.
Personally I love Mazda for the way they drive and RELIABILITY (0 issues with all Mazdas Ive owned).

Going to take alot for me to abandon the make

Had a BMW 328 xi turbodiesel sportwagon that I loved dearly. But, its lease was up, and while purchasing it was one option, I did not relish maintaining and repairing a German car after three years and 45000 miles. The model is no longer imported to the US, so replacing it with a new one was not an option. The Beemer compact SUVs were possibilities but the CX-5 Signature with its lag-free turbocharged engine sold me. It drives better than my Beemer. You heard me. The drivability of the Mazda is unmatched in its class. Maybe a Macan Turbo might edge it out but not by much and for 30-50% more, with many more headaches down the road. Easy choice.

...and the rest is history! 😁

Glad you did man otherwise we would be without you and it just wouldn't be the same...That said, still thinking about VW or are you firmly a CX-5 / Mazda kinda guy?
Nah, I like Mazda now. At the time I was n a Ford Escape 2007, which was my first car (went from a 2006 escape.) Didn't really know anything about cars and didn't do any of my own maintenance. Next car is going to be a used Mitsubishi Mirage

Inspired by a thread @Avoidin Deer posted in the Lounge regarding Mazda sales in the Middle East...I’m very curious as to how many CX-5 Owners were seriously considering a German SUV (Benz, BMW, Audi etc) but were ultimately sold on the CX-5.

Cast your vote and post your reasons and thoughts, thanks!
I considered the GLC300 and X1 and X3. Reliability and maintenance concerns vs. performance+features pushed me to the CX5 GT-R.

Then you factor in that most tests show the CX5 GTr/SIg at 67-68dB at 70mph cruise. I believe the X3 is SLIGHTLY quieter, and the GLC SLIGHTLY louder. In short, they are all 3 in about the same arena, here.

Then comes the fact that the CX5 GT-R had all of the features I wanted, and some the BMW/GLC didn't have at least in 2019 (HUD).

To get a GLC300 or a X3 that competes with a CX5 GT-R, you would spend about $50K. Then there is the maintenance and reliability aspect...

Look at the 5-60 times. The only reason the GLC300 does well 0-60 is how they launched it. In EVERY SCENARIO other than a launch, the CX5 is faster. THe reason these handle better is the tires are wider and the tires on the Mazda are TRASH! Replace them. My LX25's handle so much better than the Toyo A36's. I am curious for Tire Rack to evaluate t he A36's so I can extrapolate how much more lateral adhesion I have, but it IS noticeable. I wouldn't be surprised if it's pulling 0.84ish now on the skidpad.

Long and short of it, I am very pleased with my CX5 GT-R compared to the Euro options, and unless you are buying ///M, S-Line, or AMG, I think the Euro SUV's are poor purchases.

compare.jpg

Had a BMW 328 xi turbodiesel sportwagon that I loved dearly. But, its lease was up, and while purchasing it was one option, I did not relish maintaining and repairing a German car after three years and 45000 miles. The model is no longer imported to the US, so replacing it with a new one was not an option. The Beemer compact SUVs were possibilities but the CX-5 Signature with its lag-free turbocharged engine sold me. It drives better than my Beemer. You heard me. The drivability of the Mazda is unmatched in its class. Maybe a Macan Turbo might edge it out but not by much and for 30-50% more, with many more headaches down the road. Easy choice.
I purchased 2020 CX-5 when my wife's '07 328xi suddenly would no longer go into reverse. BMW had a TSB indicating that the problem could be due to a broken valve in the control section of the transmission, a relatively easy thing to fix. BMW dealers would not repair the transmission, would only replace it at a cost north of $10K. We needed a reliable car and we're very happy with the CX-5. That said, the handling on the BMW surpasses the CX-5, not by a lot but it does feel more solid and planted on the roadway. (May be apples and oranges comparing a wagon to an SUV.) I will never own another BMW automobile due to the cost of maintenance.

I considered the GLC300 and X1 and X3. Reliability and maintenance concerns vs. performance+features pushed me to the CX5 GT-R.

Then you factor in that most tests show the CX5 GTr/SIg at 67-68dB at 70mph cruise. I believe the X3 is SLIGHTLY quieter, and the GLC SLIGHTLY louder. In short, they are all 3 in about the same arena, here.

Then comes the fact that the CX5 GT-R had all of the features I wanted, and some the BMW/GLC didn't have at least in 2019 (HUD).

To get a GLC300 or a X3 that competes with a CX5 GT-R, you

Look at the 5-60 times. The only reason the GLC300 does well 0-60 is how they launched it. In EVERY SCENARIO other than a launch, the CX5 is faster. THe reason these handle better is the tires are wider and the tires on the Mazda are TRASH! Replace them. My LX25's handle so much better than the Toyo A36's. I am curious for Tire Rack to evaluate t he A36's so I can extrapolate how much more lateral adhesion I have, but it IS noticeable. I wouldn't be surprised if it's pulling 0.84ish now on the skidpad.

Long and short of it, I am very pleased with my CX5 GT-R compared to the Euro options, and unless you are buying ///M, S-Line, or AMG, I think the Euro SUV's are poor purchases.

[URL unfur
View attachment 223660

To get a GLC300 or a X3 that competes with a CX5 GT-R, you would spend about $50K. Then there is the maintenance and reliability aspect...

View attachment 223660
I agree on the tires. That is probably the biggest improvement to make although I think you need to add wheels to that and increase tire width and choices.

Also the fact that you need to run premium gas in the GLC was worth thinking about.

Not a fan of expensive German vehicles. Yes, they offer great styling and handling BUT the depreciation and long term mechanical upkeep is the biggest deterrent for me.
I enjoy them from afar.

I agree on the tires. That is probably the biggest improvement to make although I think you need to add wheels to that and increase tire width and choices.
Maybe. The cx5 turbo is 400# lighter as well, and you have to consider psi on the tread in ice, rain, snow, as well as the vehicles actual primary mission (all weather transportation).

Maybe. The cx5 turbo is 400# lighter as well, and you have to consider psi on the tread in ice, rain, snow, as well as the vehicles actual primary mission (all weather transportation).
Yeah nothing crazy wide. Just moving up a size. I know bigger is not always better for traction. I think test have mentioned a little wider tire would result in better skid pad numbers for the CX5 though.

Yeah nothing crazy wide. Just moving up a size. I know bigger is not always better for traction. I think test have mentioned a little wider tire would result in better skid pad numbers for the CX5 though.
I agree, but how would it affect ice, rain, etc? I just chose to use a better compound tire. I've been very pleased with the results.

If you want wider though, you can run these:

They fit a 7" rim, and their diameter is within 0.1" of the OEM tire, which is easily within the margin of treadware experienced over a tire's life. It is also 2# LIGHTER than the OEM tire.

Last edited:
I find it really interesting to read everyone's thoughts and to see the Poll results progress...Please keep it coming! (y)

I wonder, how different are the interiors of German SUVs compared to the latest CX-5? Mazda has been improving their interiors (especially with the new 3 and CX-30), are they closing the gap or are the Germans in another league (regarding interior fit and finish, quality, design, materials etc)..?

The CX-5 will hold its value better than most German SUVs (Porsche does the best in this area). Anecdotal, but check on Autotrader for the lowest priced, high miles 2013 X3s and CX-5s and they both start at around 7-8k and up, even though the X3 had a base MSRP almost double that of the 2013 CX ($21,500 vs 40k, AWD standard on the X3). I think Porsche makes the best and most desirable overall German cars but they are expensive, the parts and service are expensive, and they are not cheap to insure. If I wasn't driving a CX-5, I'd go for a used RX 350 AWD. I feel that will hold up and hold its value well, like the CX. Mazda did a good job with things like double door seals, laminated windshield and front glass, and underbody insulation to make the CX ride and drive like a luxury vehicle.

I find it really interesting to read everyone's thoughts and to see the Poll results progress...Please keep it coming! (y)

I wonder, how different are the interiors of German SUVs compared to the latest CX-5? Mazda has been improving their interiors (especially with the new 3 and CX-30), are they closing the gap or are the Germans in another league (regarding interior fit and finish, quality, design, materials etc)..?
My neighbor has a GLC43 AMG. I am not sure what year, but newer. 2017 is the oldest I could imagine it being. My CX5's interior has less creaks and rattles, but doesn't look quite as sexy. Both feel equal quality with t he CX5 having more soft-touch surfaces, but I find the seats in the 'Benz look nicer while they both feel similar quality to sit on, I believe the leather in the AMG is better than in my GT-R, and maybe the signature, too.
20190925_010353 (1).jpg
. Overall, I would believe the vehicles cost the same, just by riding in them. The DCT and turbo 6 cylinder in the GLC43 AMG are where I'd say nearly all the money difference went, IMO, as well as the NAV screen and seats.
2017_mercedes-amg_glc_43_coupe_79.jpg

I thought the MB’s seats were more comfortable than the CX5. I also liked the ”fatter” feel of the MB’s steering wheel when I was comparing the two but now these things are not an issue. No question the CX5 was the right choice.

Back