DGM lip paint?

Kooldino

MOTM Winner Jan '09
Authorized Vendor
Contributor
:
MP3
People who have had their DGM front lip painted...how much did it run you?

I got a quote from the Mazda dealership near me (I took it in) for $250 (labor & mat. total)...

I'm having a DG grill, headlight covers, lip, and center part of a carbon fiber hood painted for $250. I think that's below your average price though.

I got a dg lip a dg grille and mintblue eyebrows done for 50. HAHA I got it from a freind so it was only a one time thing. I lucked out.

Ok, so hopefully it's under $100. I assume you guys got yours clear coated too?

Was there any prep work that needed to be done?

Did they have any problem painting it?

How does it mount?

I paid 300 for the lip, grill, and eyelids. Not a bad price, but not the best that's been had either... I would say prob around 200 would be the average for just the lip. Also (might) depend on if it's urethane or fiberglass... some painters don't like to deal with oily urethane and the fisheyes it sometimes produces. I know when I had mine done, it had a ton of fisheyes the first time and I told him to get rid of them... so he had to order some special stuff to do something... idk was a long time ago. It's the release agent that gives it it's slight oiliness I think. Anyways, idk if you have the lip already or not, but I recommend urethane over fiberglass even if it is a little tougher to paint... I know the flexibility has saved my ass plenty of times already. Hope all goes well.

Yeah, it's urethane.

I heard I have to wash it and sand it with 600 grit sandpaper before I paint it.

yeah between $150-200 is what you should end up paying. I only got the estimate from Mazda simply because I was getting frustrated with a friend... one of the most expensive (and best) places here in KC quoted me $275 so you should be able to get it done well for $100 less.

as far as people getting multiple things painted for a killer price, it only makes sense because with smaller pieces like these it takes more time to prep and clean than to do any work on it. most places wouldn't touch anything for under $100 just because of the time involved in the prep/clean... keep looking, you'll get what you need at a price you can/want to afford :D

PhreakV said:
as far as people getting multiple things painted for a killer price, it only makes sense because with smaller pieces like these it takes more time to prep and clean than to do any work on it. most places wouldn't touch anything for under $100 just because of the time involved in the prep/clean... keep looking, you'll get what you need at a price you can/want to afford :D

Yup, that's why I've been sitting on parts for a while. :)

i paid $109 for my lip and grill and thats with a lifetime warranty on the paint.

no.... bad kooldino. The lip looks heavy on a sedan. I paid 150 for lip/grill i wouldnt pay more then that forjust a lip.

Got my lip in today...so far I washed it, and I heard that I should sand it with 600 grit paper.

How the hell did you guys mount this thing? Did you drill holes somewhere?

Back