Design's Long Term Ownership/Build Thread

Quick update at 146K:

Good news and bad news.
- Tested the PCV; operates normally with one-way flow.
- Compression test good; 5% dip in cylinder #3.
- Leakdown good; Max 10% loss in all cylinders.
- Re-inspected intake and IC piping. No excessive oil accumulation.

At this point all data suggests a leak on the exhaust side of the turbo. Synonymous with most high mileage turbo failures. So it looks like I will be in the market for another low mileage OEM KKK K04 (09+) and factory downpipe to replace the ones I have now. More to come.

Update 150K:

Oil Consumption Issue:

After months of researching and collecting parts, I finally got the turbo replaced. I was fortunate to find a used 2nd Gen turbo with sub-50K. And the owner ran it with nothing more than an intake. Also, since I had been dumping oil the last 10K, I decided to swap out the DP while I was there. This was an odd issue as there was no smoke at idle and very little at WOT; just very aggressive oil consumption.

A lot of folks have asked what caused the failure. We suspect it was a bad turbo exhaust seal due to over-oiling. As most of us know, the factory PCV builds higher than normal crankcase pressure at idle, causing a partial blockage in the return line. That in turn can put excessive pressure on the seals as there is relatively little restriction in the oil feed line. It can also cause coking in the turbo as the oil literally "cooks" in one spot over time. I suspect this is also related to my oil cooler gasket failure, along with oil seepage near the alternator.

This is really only a problem with the Gen 1 PCV, as the Gen 2's have revised turbo oil inlet passages and a revised valve cover. In my case, had I caught early enough, a simple $30 restrictor bolt would have prevented this problem from occurring so early. Long term, Mazda has supplied a ventilation kit with a revised valve cover and TIP (Part ID L3Y1-13-S80B).

Remove spaces in link:
http://www.mazdaspeed forums. org/forum/f11/final-smoke-idle-fix-mazda-tsb-01-a-73738/

It's only been about 30 miles but as far as I can tell, the smoke is gone. I've also noticed better throttle response under boost, with PSI peaking @ 17.5 vs. 16 on the old turbo. Time will tell if this fix is permanent. But for only a few hundred in parts, I feel this approach was well worth it. Worst case, I now have a spare turbo I can rebuild should the issue resurface.

AC Compressor Bearing

I had noticed some unusual noise under the hood. Along with intermittent AC, I decided it was time to pull the serpentine and inspect the pulleys. Sure enough, the AC compressor pulley was shot. Fortunately, I had a properly functioning pulley from the previous AC compressor I replaced.

To my dismay, after pulling apart the clutch and pulley, I realize now that Discount AC Parts sold me a base Mazda 3 compressor. It is a genuine Panasonic part, just the wrong one. And it explains now why the kit was so inexpensive. I take partial blame for not inspecting the parts more closely. And fortunately, MSF has a thread on this very issue.

Remove spaces in link:
http://www.mazdaspeed forums .org/forum/f293/c-compressor-clutch-finally-cheap-fix-153663/

I was able to source a similar Mazda 3 bearing through Autozone for $26, manufactured by Santech. And I was able to swap it out without having to remove the compressor assembly itself. However, after inspecting the clutch, I realized some excessive wear on the clutch friction material; likely from the bearing failure and excessive lateral play. Amazon offers a relatively cheap clutch kit, complete with pulley and coil. So I will replace the clutch this weekend with very little downtime. Hopefully this will give me another 50-75K before I source a remanufactured MS3-specific compressor. Combined with the parts from my old one, I don't feel I need to purchase another brand new.

KW Coilover Update

As many know I had been running the KW V2 coilovers for nearly 90K. They have continued to be dead quiet with no noise. However, I was noticing the front struts beginning to get weak. So I decided it was time to send them in for inspection. Dealing with KW is fairly easy. You fill out an RMA sheet with your coilover specs and proof of purchase. Then send to them for an RMA number. Within a week I had brand new strut inserts, bump stops, dust shields and associated hardware. Cost me a total of $26 in shipping. I am beyond impressed with KW's support; yet another reason to go with quality suspension.

Michelin Pilot A/S-3 Update

At 35K the Michelins are now worn down to 3/32 all around. They have worn surprisingly well and have maintained acceptable traction at all stages of their wear life. And I only noticed a slight loss in wet performance as the tires wore down past 5mm. Something I cannot say with any other tire I've owned, including the factory Potenzas. I will say like all A/S tires, they do get a little noisy the last 40% of their life. But for the 1-2 trips a year I do in the snow, I feel these are a fair compromise for summer-only tires. I've already picked up a new set of A/S-3's and will get them installed by this weekend.

That's it for now. Thanks for looking!

19121299.JPG

Quick update after 400 miles. Oil consumption has slowed but not to a rate I had hoped. With strong compression and leakdown numbers, all evidence is pointing towards worn oil control rings. This is not an isolated issue with our cars, as evident in the thread below (remove spaces):
http:// www.mazdaspeed forums.org/ forum/f293/mandinca-s-oil-consumption-problem-155337/

So with a spare DP/MP on tap, I will likely ride things out for the next year or two. Then hand off to someone local wanting a cheap project car. Until then I'll keep updating this thread with any other things that come up.

Back