Decision...2018 CX-5 vs Tiguan

Oh dear. Forum member Xtrailman is either in the process or has ordered a Tiguan. I just hope for his sake the grass is greener on the other side.

Oh dear. Forum member Xtrailman is either in the process or has ordered a Tiguan. I just hope for his sake the grass is greener on the other side.
I believe he's already bought Tiguan if I remember it correctly. I used to buy only VW products until the last Passat which makes me really disappointed due to some engine issues. But my friends and family who are in UK and Taiwan seem to have no issues with many VW vehicles. Yes, the other side of grass is always greener!

I am also ready to go European. Branched out of yotas to Mazda and when it is time to replace my Camry which has been a disappointment I am looking at a specific year make from Volvo. I was set on mazda6 touring 2018 but its hard to unsee some quality issues.

Congrats on the car! We got the same exact car about two weeks ago. Been pretty happy with it.

Kinda late to the party here, but I looked at the new tiguans as well. A friend has one and has had a good experience so far. I love the VW interior and features like the virtual cockpit, but those will just add up to the price. Now if they brought the short wheelbase Tiguan R-line.. In the end, the CX-5 was definitely cheaper with about the same features and I think it looks pretty good too.

Not that I am currently seeking to replace my CX-5, but I was looking at the Tiguan R Line as a future possibility. I am thinking about sizing down a little and upping the performance so if I were buying now the Golf R is #1 on my list then do an APR Stage 2 or Cobb Access Port. Well that's because I doubt my wife will agree to anything with a Porsche badge on it. Sure would love to get a Macan GTS and could afford to do it, but perhaps not the best financial decision.

Not that I think the Golf R looks sporty, but that it looks very economy car looking (totally opposite of the over the top Transformer looking Honda Type R) and my wife wouldn't notice that I could boost that car up to and potentially over 400hp with a few mods :)

At 55 I think I am in some sort of mid life crisis with the older guy wanting a performance car.

For now it is the CX-5 and it is running decent.

Maybe maybe not.

A recent reliability chart showed Mazda above VW for faults, but then said the latest Tiguan was the most reliable medium SUV, source whatcar mag.

After being a member since around 2013 on this forum I have read of a lot of pissed of CX_5 owners, squeeks rattles, weak screens, weak paint, oil rise etc.
Even the spare set of wheels I bought off a 2013 owner who advised me not to buy a CX-5, he moved to a Kuga.

My 2013 car was the most unreliable car since the Mini metro bought in the 80's, failed to start twice, had to have the smart charging reset twice, and then on its 2nd service was kept in the garage for a week replacing a premature worn brake vacuum gauge, and was also within the Vin range of those with premature worn camshafts which also took out the twin turbo's.

So I got rid quick at two years old with 14K miles on it.

I have also had long drawn out sagas with the phone not connecting reliably with both cars, and both have oil rise....

My 2015 car has been ok but it seems to regen for fun which kills the MPG.

And after all that Mazda seem so slow bringing out updates such as AA, while every update comes with a kerbweight increase stunting performance.
The 2019 cx-5 will have 184ps with 445nm in the UK with a heavy kerbweight of 1820kg for my car, up from my 1703kg 2015 car.

So after 5 years I want a change and have ordered a 190ps Tiguan SEL with only 400nm from 1900 to 3300rpm, a 7 speed DSG auto AA and everything I want, camera all round view, panoramic sunroof, TPMS read out of pressure and temperature for each tyre, paddle shifts, Trailer Stability Programme, Swivelling towbar with 13 pin electrical kit, Along with a dynamic configurable 12" screen and a 8" satnav screen. I'm also expecting the Tiguan to be lighter and faster 7.8 secs to 60mph against 9.6 sec for the Cx-5.

So time will tell.... Car is due next year due to long waiting lists.

Last edited:
I'd rather deal with a Mazda than a VW long-term regarding cost to own/repair/likelihood of breaking, especially considering the fact that you plan on also adding the expense of 1 or more children (unless you're adopting, you could technically get 2-3 instead of 1...).

I would encourage you strongly to wait for the 2019 RAV4, and if you can, RAV4 Hybrid (drops early 2019), and also consider them in your hunt for a new vehicle, as well, if time permits.

If not, I'd go CX5 in this class, considering the issues the CRV is having with their 1.5L engine.

The more I read about that new RAV4 the more intrigued I get, really looking forward to driving one. I just picked up a 2015 Scion XB, 4th Toyota I've owned, quality is quite impressive. They got everything right except the looks...

Last edited:
Pretty much the same with any new vehicle nowadays, isn't it? Software this, electronic that...

I dont know if all brand vehicles light up all warning lights in middle of night with no cars nearby. Happened to a new Atlas. Maybe VW can detect ghosts truly next gen stuff.

I dont know if all brand vehicles light up all warning lights in middle of night with no cars nearby. Happened to a new Atlas. Maybe VW can detect ghosts truly next gen stuff.

It can happen to any vehicle, but I think the point you're trying to make is that it is more likely to happen on a VW product based on their extensive history of electrical issues. I don't have any first-hand experience, but a couple of relatives had a Golf, a Jetta GLI, and a Passat (all approx. 5-10 years old), and all vehicles had electrical issues of varying degrees. That was enough to rule them out when I was shopping vehicles.

It can happen to any vehicle, but I think the point you're trying to make is that it is more likely to happen on a VW product based on their extensive history of electrical issues. I don't have any first-hand experience, but a couple of relatives had a Golf, a Jetta GLI, and a Passat (all approx. 5-10 years old), and all vehicles had electrical issues of varying degrees. That was enough to rule them out when I was shopping vehicles.

Yep that was my takeaway and spot on..my 4ish yr old (at the time-so pretty fresh out of warranty) C230C that had idk 3 window regulators replaced- also started to spontaneously sound the alarm while driving- also bleeding edge tech esp in those days. No issues w/my bimmers(128 was very basic build tho, and X1 still a baby) but plenty of horror stories about VWs and still waiting on my 43MPG CLEAN DIESEL Alltrak..you filthy rotten animals-never see a dime from me, ever- not Audi or Porsche either which sucks really wanted a Cayman at some point, and I do salivate over a blue MacanS in the garage at work.. nope- you F w/diesel you F w/me and I've made it my part time side-gig to trash them when the opportunity presents- but I pretty much used to before anyways;)

Last edited:

Yeah, that would be pretty unsettling..

I agree, can happen to any new vehicle. I'd say VWs have a worse rep here in the US than the rest of the world.

I have owned VWs over the past 10 years. My 97 A4 ran great until I sold it at 325k miles while my friend who had a 98 ran into a lot of issues with his. My current 2015 A3 is modded and already has 110k miles. Wife enjoys the CX5 too much, I've been only driving that when we're together lol
75a9b455f8a3825fa822c746eee36c7f.jpg

I don't like white but dang that does look pretty slick have to say..A3 lost me at no manual or was it no manual w/quattro I forget- A4 and A5 will now follow suit- too big now anyway. My nearest miss with VAG ownership was a nearly new 1st gen R32- that car was an absolute blast with an awesome manual gearbox and clutch but they were such greedy scumbags- left such a bad taste I haven't been back there since and its 5 miles from my house.

Edit- Not true I did go back once to show the wife a cpo Q7 before we ended w/the Highlander which was a good call- she also just says no to VAG. So far she's taking the Ascent over the 9er(space and dealer proximity are top 2 drawbacks of Mazda)- and she still misses her old Forester XT stick and the Ascent is def not that but it did handle pretty well, wasn't slow and felt smaller than it is while actually having quite a bit of room and a vg seating position.

Last edited:
Back