Deciding on the CX-30 Against Other Cars

AuraNova

Reflection of Elegance
:
Florida
:
'20 Blue CX-30
When I was looking for a new car, I did kind of want to peer into the current crossover craze a little, although it wasn't my first choice. I felt later on I needed something higher up than the Cruze I used to have and feel that it would last me well into the next decade. I was looking more seriously at the Mercedes GLA, Kia Seltos, and Audi Q3 for a few months before I realized the CX-30 existed. From reading reviews and then some, I realized I was going to enjoy it more than the other three. I believe was I completely right.

So what other cars were you considering before you decided the CX-30 was for you?

:
2020 CX-5 Premium
We considered the Q3 because I am a long-time Audi owner and still own a '17 A4 that I love but after comparing the CX-30 interior with the Q3 the Audi was out of the running.

Antoine

Administrator
@AuraNova Great idea for a thread topic! 👍

We considered the Q3 because I am a long-time Audi owner and still own a '17 A4 that I love but after comparing the CX-30 interior with the Q3 the Audi was out of the running.
Wow, so the CX-30 interior is that good in comparison? Aren't Audi's known for their interiors?

:
2020 CX 30
Aesthetics and build quality certainly played a big part in deciding on the 30.
By any objective standard, the car is a good-looking piece of kit, and the interior is outstanding. It’s clear from that alone that Mazda is pitching the car straight at the likes of Audi and BMW. And I say that having come from several Audis and BMWs. To follow up on what @AuraNova said, I strongly suspect that Mazda benchmarked Audi (especially A3/Q3) for cabin feel and control/instrument layout - it just feels very Audi.
The other major decider was running costs, particularly service and maintenance. I’m mostly retired now (thank you, COVID), and Herself will be officially tossing in the towel this time next year. While we can pretty much afford whatever car/s we want, the idea of shelling out substantial sums of money for the privilege of frankly outrageous Audi/BMW/Mercedes service costs and parts prices (here in Oz, anyway) was a big disincentive. Particularly when we could have a car that took the fight right up to the established Euro prestige brands, but only cost half as much (actually, LESS than half) to maintain. And, yes, nerd that am, I actually ran the numbers.

:
2017 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2016 Mazda6 iGT, 2014 Mazda3 sGT hatchback
When you plan to own a luxury brand of vehicle don't just consider the initial purchase cost. You need to factor in the maintenance cost, which usually runs 2-3X higher than a 2nd-tier brand like Mazda. In addition, Mazda is likely to give you less troubles down the road.

I used to own a BMW. They don't call it break-my-wallet (BMW) for no reason. I got to know every service advisor's name. Budgeted $2k/yr for fixing, got stranded on roadside three times, 20 counts of issues (after which I lost count)...Sold it after 8 yrs.