• Welcome to Mazdas247, the 24/7 Mazda Community and Resource. Learn about the benefits of becoming a Member here.
  • We're an Amazon Associate and eBay Partner. We earn from qualifying purchases.

dealership -vs- independent shop for services

The dealership was trying their best to encourage all services at a dealer. They kept saying that with the "Skyactive" technology I need to come in once a year for an IOS type of software upgrade that costs about $150, along with their $75 oil change. I have either done my own services or gone to an independent shop. What do you think?

Thanks

:
2011 M3 Touring / 2014 CX-5 Touring
The dealership was trying their best to encourage all services at a dealer. They kept saying that with the "Skyactive" technology I need to come in once a year for an IOS type of software upgrade that costs about $150, along with their $75 oil change. I have either done my own services or gone to an independent shop. What do you think?

Thanks
I think they're trying to establish a revenue stream by pushing needless services and slick looking upgrades that have limited to no utility by using to tried-and-true marketing ploys...like Apple's 'must-have' new phone releases, and Microsoft's 'software by subscription' services, e.g., Office365, and broadband internet access.

I've never heard of an automobile company having regular releases of automotive software(s) they'd install in the absence of specific customer complaints. That's both unnecessary and potentially dangerous.

Last edited:
you are legally entitled to maintain your car using whomever you like. If there is a serious issue they will send you a recall notice. However there are service bulletin issues that often aren't announced but they'll perform on the car if you bring it in for service otherwise. I'm not sure if the service bulletins are available online but might be good to check every now and then to see if there is anything that might affect you.

When I picked up my new 3 they informed me that I did need to change the oil per the schedule to keep the warranty valid.

I don't use the dealer for non-warranty work. It's an unnecessary expense and they are far away from me.

:
2014 Mazda 3 & 1991 Miata BRG
Agreed. I do all my own maintenance work including oil changes. I keep meticulous records of the services I do so I can show that I followed factory recommended service schedules. This assures they cannot deny warranty coverage. But in more than 12k miles now, our 3 has needed nothing. No problems or recalls whatsoever. Which is exactly why we bought a Mazda in the first place.

:
2014 Mazda3 S GT auto, 2008 MX5 6-speed
I called the dealership service department a while ago to ask an infotainment question. The service person asked me if I had my car serviced there and I replied that I like to change my own oil and filters. Their response? No callback to answer my questions. In my book, that's a mistake that should not be tolerated by any customer.

:
Speed3
It really depends on what the dealership for me. I've been to some really great dealerships who've basically only charged me for parts, and to some really terrible dealerships who tried to nickel and dime me with everything.

Latest posts