Dealer service - fear tactics

Basic rule of thumb for filters is you can hold it up to bright light and see through, you're golden. That being said, engine air filters (Mazda brand) usually last me over 20k miles. Cabin air filters can be cleaned or even washed, it's tough material.

UPDATE - spoke with the service manager at the dealership. He was definitely well prepared in his defense of recommendations (towing the company line).

My question: How are recommendations made?

Him:
failed inspection; examples - torn hose; thin brake pads; leaks
preventive maintenance; examples: for the OEM tire manufacture; rotate/balance, alignment 12 - 15k miles; this to get the maximum from tire manufacture warranty
scheduled maintenance; required by warranty to be performed at a minimum; examples - oil changes; air filter changes

My question: Were the filters actually looked at? Can a person physically remove them without leafs falling off?

Him:
We do inspect every filter visually; we do tap gently the filters to remove debris; we do not clean or blow them off (could further damage the filter).

When pressed about the condition; he mention the sand/dust of Arizona and early replacements - he doubled down on the recommendation to replace.

My question: So you already proactively answered the alignment recommendation, so help me understand further that recommendation.

Him:
Tire manufactures require preventive maintenance to cover their warranties; we make alignment recommendation so basically "we told you to do regular alignments.. (me paraphrasing)".

Overall he seemed knowledgeable but definitely in CYA mode about my concerns and possibility to give a poor survey response from my last service. He did ask what could be done to remedy the concerns and I simply asked him to perhaps review the process and methods technician use during inspections. To provide customers actual / factual information and not simply shove a inspection report in front of them and say "here is whats wrong."

Oh one more thing - transmission fluid level GREEN -- no leaks; no idiot light in the dash == level is correct.

And there we go yet another saga in dealer service - Phoenix Arizona.

I HATE this crap.

You get better service buying a $35 pair of shoes than you do buying a $35,000 car.

I'm curious to see what my dealer's response will be when their corporate guy calls and tells them I want not 100% satisfied with the service I got.

Guess what? Dirty filters actually filter better than clean filters. Then, at some point there becomes an undesirable amount of restriction.

For high value engines and equipment, filter restriction monitors/indicators/gauges are used to optimize filter life and protect the equipment. For ours cars, wouldn't you think, with all of the sensors on the thing that if filter restriction was so critical there should be some "P0blahblahblah" code or a light or something to let you know to change the filter? Nope. Just basic guidance of change it every 15k,30k (whatever) miles or months and a service tech keen eyeball (gimme a break!) of how many bugs are laying on the filter surface. There are so many variables to each particular car's environment.

Change the filter at recommended interval to protect your warranty and don't sweat a lil' dirt :)

With dealer shops charging ~ $125 per hour, I don't want or expect them to pull engine or cabin filters for inspection. The MAZDA PROTOCOLS call for changing at a service interval. Now if you're driving in the desert through sand storms, then earlier replacement may be indicated. :)) Ed

Oil changes were a perk of this dealer and it always helps to have at least a minor relationship with a dealer if something odd comes up in the future. So the dealer as part of the oil change does a basic inspection of fluid levels, tire wear/pressure...

I started a conversation with the dealer this morning. I sent the same photos I posted here to them.. we shall see where the conversation goes...Conversation has started .. we shall see where it goes...and the saga continues... call scheduled with service manager tomorrow morning...UPDATE - spoke with the service manager at the dealership....
Dude, why are you wasting even ONE SECOND of your time on this?

You shouldn't be surprised AT ALL that the dealer made these suggestions.
That is what they do! It is their business model. It is how they make their money.

This is exactly what you should expect when bringing a car to the dealer for service.
Why do you think dealerships offer "free" or cheap oil changes? To get you in the door and upsell you.

These free/cheap oil changes should NEVER be considered a "perk" offered by dealerships.
It is also WRONG to use the dealer for service because you think it "helps" to have a "relationship with a dealer".

My new vehicles never see the dealer service department, unless I'm forced to go back because of a recall. Even then, they always manage to screw something up.

You shouldn't be surprised AT ALL that the dealer made these suggestions.
That is what they do! It is their business model. It is how they make their money.
This is well known among EV drivers. Imagine a dealer selling a car *they know* will never need oil changes, air filters, drive/timing belts, intake or exhaust gaskets, thermostats, starters, O2 sensors, or transmission work. All they have is warranty claims and recalls? No wonder they're not pushing harder for EV adoption.

Funny, I just got an oil change today and the guy (not my normal guy) pulled the air filter trick on me.

Here are tips people should follow...
- Avoid the dealership at all costs. Either DIY or find a cheaper reputable shop.
- Read your owner's manual be 100% aware of the service intervals & maintenance items.
- Insist on performing ONLY the maintenance services/items called for in the manual.
- Don't get upset when they recommend changing/replacing xyz. It is what they do.

It is that simple.
Don't make it more complicated than this. Don't waste your time/energy/money.

Guess what? Dirty filters actually filter better than clean filters. Then, at some point there becomes an undesirable amount of restriction.

For high value engines and equipment, filter restriction monitors/indicators/gauges are used to optimize filter life and protect the equipment. For ours cars, wouldn't you think, with all of the sensors on the thing that if filter restriction was so critical there should be some "P0blahblahblah" code or a light or something to let you know to change the filter? Nope. Just basic guidance of change it every 15k,30k (whatever) miles or months and a service tech keen eyeball (gimme a break!) of how many bugs are laying on the filter surface. There are so many variables to each particular car's environment.

Change the filter at recommended interval to protect your warranty and don't sweat a lil' dirt :)

You work in the filter industry, too?:)
I agree with everything said.
I bet many people could go double recommended interval and be fine.

I've found throughout the years that living in a dry (3/4 of the year) environment makes both filters in need of changing at 10,000 - 12,000 miles, regardless of vehicle. I recommend checking at 10,000 and every 2000 miles after that to obtain a baseline for future changes.

I used to change the engine air filter on my Buick's 3800 V6 around 12,000 miles and it made adifference.I change the CX-5's every 20,000 miles which is about 2-1/2 years.Use the OEM Mazda filter.

They then generate a report which uses GREEN, YELLOW, RED to indicate if an item is in need of attention. I am sure we have seen this type of report at one time or another.

But then the cabin and engine air filters were flagged red. Red seems unexpected. That is an immediate action item, something that should not be ignored. The quote to resolve these two items is ~$90 USD. Ouch. I kindly decline and go about my merry way.

What do the forum regulars think? Was the dealer correct in flagging both filters as RED in need of immediate attention?

Maybe red on the cabin, but not red on the engine filter. They don't look at mileage, they only look at condition of the filter. Dirty = Red, change now.

My dealer does this too and on my most recent trip there (last week) to get a new battery and change the brake fluid, they marked the cabin filter Red and my rear brake pads Yellow at 6mm.

My dealer only charges US$60 [$700/hr when you factor in changing the air filter takes less than 5 minutes]. Your dealer charges a whole lot more and is on par with a $980/hr labor rate as far as the cabin air filter is concerned.

The cabin air filter is obviously a money maker for them. If the dealer charged $30, I would have them do it, but since they don't, I buy my $20 cabin air filter (not at the dealer) and install it myself.

That is subjective. Flow rates were not tested, nor was the amount in weight of contaminant. It was a visual inspection with an emotional grading scale. I'd just "meh" and move on with life, as YOUR emotional scale does not flag it as red, nor does mileage indicate it is "red" based on service intervals detailed in your owner's manual.

Yeah, but wouldn't it be nice if you could trust the supposed expert information they are feeding you?

When they cheat on a $15 air filter, you don't trust what they say about your transmission.

Yeah, but wouldn't it be nice if you could trust the supposed expert information they are feeding you?

When they cheat on a $15 air filter, you don't trust what they say about your transmission.
And this is what shall forever astound me. They have zero self-awareness.

I don't trust them to tell me when my Pine Cone air freshener needs replacement

I have K&N sticker on the airbox. No one ever told me anything yet....
On cabin filters. Buy bulk online (from BAM), DIY in 2 mins. $10 each.

Back