Dealer added items

:
'20 CX-5 Signature
I bought a 2020 CX-5 Signature a couple weeks ago (my first Mazda, and first new car in 15 years) After I test drove the car I noticed there was almost $4000 in "Dealer Added Items" (not accessories) on the window sticker which I prepared myself to argue with them about. My negotiations with the salesman immediately started off somewhat confrontational as it took about 15 minutes of him insisting if I wanted the 0% financing I was going to have to pay MSRP. I had to physically start leaving the dealership before he agreed to negotiate price. In the end the dealer added items never even came up as I assumed he realized I wasn't going to go for all that and I forgot about it until after I eventually bought the car and realized the window sticker they gave me was not the original one on the car and was missing all those items.

Luckily I had taken a picture of the sticker immediately following my test drive:

dealer-added.jpg

I signed a document indicating there was a GPS device in the car they were going to deactivate. I'm assuming is that Karr S.W.A.T. line item on there. I asked the finance guy if they would physically remove it and he said they don't even know where in the car it's located as it's in a different place for each car. So my first concern is do I have some janky hardwired gps somewhere in my electrical system? Oddly, I did not get a copy of that particular document in all the copies of everything I got after the sale so I cannot review the actual text of what I signed.

For the other two items, Liberty Shield and Clear Shield Package, are these just ceramic coatings or something that they try to bully onto less savvy consumers? And since they were already on the sticker does that mean I got them for free or would they have physically had to apply/install them after the fact? I ask because the Clear Shield says it protects the door handles from scratches and I do indeed have some protective film behind the door handles.

I attached a photo of the film behind the handle:
IMG_20200707_114639.jpg

Do CX-5s come standard with that film (or certain trim levels) or did I indeed get some bonus protections for free?

It seems pretty sketch that these things were on the window sticker originally but not on my final one, but I'm assuming that's just a common tactic for dealerships to inflate the price.

Do CX-5s come standard with that film (or certain trim levels) or did I indeed get some bonus protections for free?
Mine certainly didn't. Pretty sure that's aftermarket. Good idea actually. It's amazing how fingernails - even men's short ones - can scratch the paint there. Still, I would never in 1000 years pay $695 for it! What asswipes.

I believe Liberty Shield is 3rd party warranty for paint, no coating but an extended warranty future. The PPF is the door cups and door edges. If I remember right they have it pre-installed so the "upgrade" can be included in the price, giving them a higher markup (just as you mentioned to inflate the price). I had them on my 19' but were removed and replaced with suntek as the edges were peeling at 12k miles. For reference I had the front bumper, fenders, hood, mirrors and headlights wrapped with PPF for $1,000 out the door locally with a 10 year warranty. You can see the markup between the $695 and what can be paid for the entire front end of the car to be done.

Last edited:
The PPF is the door cups and door edges.

I just went and looked and you're right, I can see a bit of film on the door edges. Wow, I know dealers are sketchy but attempting to get $700 for what looks to be $5 worth of film that took 10 minutes to install is quite a grift.

It's amazing how fingernails - even men's short ones - can scratch the paint there.

Yeah my last car was pretty scratched there and I keep my fingernails super short. It was a gray car so it wasn't the worst but I did notice it often.

I took my car camping last weekend with a buddy who met me there in his car and we were there one day before he banged his door into mine. I had left a ton of room between our cars at the campsite but he left to get firewood and came back and parked too close. It didn't chip the paint but there is a slight crease where the edge of his door dented it. Didn't even make it a week before the car got beat up. At least it's on the passenger side so I won't constantly be seeing it.

I would say no to any dealer add-ons.
(even if they are good stuff, they would be overpriced anyway)
If would go to another dealer if I have to to avoid add-ons.
For accessories, you can buy most (if not all) of them online and DIY.

At minimum, you should be getting 8-10% off MSRP on a turbo model.

I got it for 7% off. I definitely could have gotten it cheaper as I didn't make other dealers compete hardly at all. It was annoyingly hard to get a price over text/email and all the Mazda dealers around here are very spread out. With traffic, getting to another dealer takes an hour or more. So if I had taken a few more days and worked some other dealers I have no doubt I could have saved another $1500 or more, sans my time and the gas to drive all over the place. I wasn't positive if the 0% financing was gonna last into July so I just wanted to get a deal done. My bank would give me a loan at 2.9% so the 0% financing saved me close to $3k which was better than the $1500 customer cash offer that wasn't combinable. I only had to put $1000 down and financed the rest for 63 months at 0%. So I'm alright with the price considering how little effort I had to put in.

I did get them to throw in the all weather mats and cargo tray for free. They balked at giving me the cargo cover but in hindsight that thing probably would just get in the way more often than not. The tint on the back windows is so dark you can't see in normally and I leave a black fleece blanket in the back to cover up anything in case someone looks in with a flashlight.

Regarding the incentives, how do cash incentives work when negotiating the price of the car? Are those incentives paid by Mazda themselves of does the dealer take the hit? Do you settle on a price and then tack on the incentive on top of that? If you already know you can get the car for X price based on what other people are getting it it seems like the incentives aren't worth much other than a set amount you don't have to fight too hard for.

Depending on the crease it might be able to be fixed by a local paintless dent repair tech.

It's not too bad so probably, but my fear is it's just gonna happen again. Right now I'm working from home, but whenever things go back to normal I park in a public parking deck where almost every spot is a "compact" marked spot so it's almost impossible to keep people from opening their doors into you. I do love the auto folding mirrors. And maybe the dings and dents won't bother me so much on my commute with the vented seats going.

I would say no to any dealer add-ons.
(even if they are good stuff, they would be overpriced anyway)
If would go to another dealer if I have to to avoid add-ons.
For accessories, you can buy most (if not all) of them online and DIY.
Yes, I’d try not to buy a new car with dealer add-ons, and even be willing to order one to avoid dealer add-ons usually already installed on those in dealer’s lot.

Your original post brings up a good point. The dealership believes that most people want to buy a car more than they want to sell you one. The fact is, they need to sell you one more than you need to buy one. They know that if you came to look for a car, that you want a car, and they don't have to give in on that last $400, or in this case, a $4,000 nonsense. They like saying things such as "oh, those are already on the car we have to charge you" . Well as we have now seen, that's total BS.

Your original post brings up a good point. The dealership believes that most people want to buy a car more than they want to sell you one. The fact is, they need to sell you one more than you need to buy one. They know that if you came to look for a car, that you want a car, and they don't have to give in on that last $400, or in this case, a $4,000 nonsense. They like saying things such as "oh, those are already on the car we have to charge you" . Well as we have now seen, that's total BS.

BINGO. That’s the first thing that we covered when I bought my 2012 Focus (no longer have, bought back lol). I told them I’m not paying a dime toward all those $2k dealer add ons (tint, auto butler paint protection , etc etc). It was my first vehicle purchase and I had a 800+ credit score. The immediately took that off the sales price but They had the balls to try and say despite my credit score I didn’t have “car” credit in my history.

Probably.

So I went looking for where the GPS tracker might be. I figured they'd hide it a bit better than just having it under the dash (I was also surprised how open under the dash is) but I figured I'd look anyhow. Nothing under there looks out of place, but I also don't really know what it's supposed to look like there. Everything looks wrapped from the factory. There is a blue plug which I'm not sure what it is? I don't believe it's the OBD plug since there is a different white one closer.

Attachments

• IMG_20200707_211440.jpg
    IMG_20200707_211440.jpg
    293.9 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_20200707_211722.jpg
    IMG_20200707_211722.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_20200707_211459.jpg
    IMG_20200707_211459.jpg
    274.9 KB · Views: 202
I bought a 2020 CX-5 Signature a couple weeks ago (my first Mazda, and first new car in 15 years) After I test drove the car I noticed there was almost $4000 in "Dealer Added Items" (not accessories) on the window sticker which I prepared myself to argue with them about. My negotiations with the salesman immediately started off somewhat confrontational as it took about 15 minutes of him insisting if I wanted the 0% financing I was going to have to pay MSRP. I had to physically start leaving the dealership before he agreed to negotiate price. In the end the dealer added items never even came up as I assumed he realized I wasn't going to go for all that and I forgot about it until after I eventually bought the car and realized the window sticker they gave me was not the original one on the car and was missing all those items.

Luckily I had taken a picture of the sticker immediately following my test drive:

View attachment 225620

I signed a document indicating there was a GPS device in the car they were going to deactivate. I'm assuming is that Karr S.W.A.T. line item on there. I asked the finance guy if they would physically remove it and he said they don't even know where in the car it's located as it's in a different place for each car. So my first concern is do I have some janky hardwired gps somewhere in my electrical system? Oddly, I did not get a copy of that particular document in all the copies of everything I got after the sale so I cannot review the actual text of what I signed.

For the other two items, Liberty Shield and Clear Shield Package, are these just ceramic coatings or something that they try to bully onto less savvy consumers? And since they were already on the sticker does that mean I got them for free or would they have physically had to apply/install them after the fact? I ask because the Clear Shield says it protects the door handles from scratches and I do indeed have some protective film behind the door handles.

I attached a photo of the film behind the handle:
View attachment 225621

It seems pretty sketch that these things were on the window sticker originally but not on my final one, but I'm assuming that's just a common tactic for dealerships to inflate the price.
Here is some info. I was able to find...

Back