Daytime running lights dim/flickering

2016 CX5 GT with 55kmi, last November passenger side DRL got dim and flickering, then driver side started also, not long after one side went completely out followed by the other.

Called Mazda, got a case number, went to local dealer got an estimate $1400 for parts + $250 labor... called Mazda back with estimate, they called me back 3 days later saying they pay for parts and I pay for labor...

Just got the car back and new "J" headlights are installed. Slightly different look but good enough.
Just submitted my recall reimbursement claim to get my $250 back in my pocket.

Going to Flow? I was just there yesterday. The scheduler told me to pick my day & time...their calendar is completely open. They're desperately trying to keep their guys busy due to the virus issue. Should be able to get you in & out quickly.
I was going to but then I realize this isn't at all essential. So I'm going to wait until the governor's stay at home order has been lifted.

I was going to but then I realize this isn't at all essential. So I'm going to wait until the governor's stay at home order has been lifted.
I think they would be grateful for the work.

But I know what you're saying.

I got my recall notice today. Nice to see something's finally being done. I had one flicker replaced in 2018 and fought tooth and nail to get the other one replaced even though it did not fail yet (earlier in this thread).

Hi,

I'm in Canada.

I own a 2016 CX-5 with tech package, and just got my recall notice this week.

The thing is, we had both headlights replaced in April 2018, due to DRL being inoperative on one, and flickering on the other. It was covered under warrantee.

Contacted our dealer yesterday about the recall, and they want us to being it in for inspection.

Does anyone know if the 2018 replacements would be “healthy” - meaning inspecting
them under the recall would be redundant? The replacements were ordered from Mazda Canada at the time, so it's not like they were old stock at the dealership.

Bringing the car in for inspection seems irresponsible to me based on the Covid-19 situation, and I'm also wondering if it's just a cash grab (from Mazda Canada's coffers, not mine) by the dealership.

Just wondering what others' opinions would be – or if anyone knows for sure.

Hi,

I'm in Canada.

The thing is, we had both headlights replaced in April 2018, due to DRL being inoperative on one, and flickering on the other. It was covered under warrantee.

Contacted our dealer yesterday about the recall, and they want us to being it in for inspection.

Does anyone know if the 2018 replacements would be “healthy” - meaning inspecting
them under the recall would be redundant? The replacements were ordered from Mazda Canada at the time, so it's not like they were old stock at the dealership.

Bringing the car in for inspection seems irresponsible to me based on the Covid-19 situation, and I'm also wondering if it's just a cash grab (from Mazda Canada's coffers, not mine) by the dealership.

You can look for the part # yourself, on the back of the light(?). Instructions and the full part # are above IIRC. A part number ending in “J” or above(?) is “healthy.”

Hi,

I'm in Canada.

The recall includes the replacement of harness connector seal which releases chemicals corroding the LED circuitry. If the LED DRLs are in working condition, these seals should still be replaced to prevent future damage to the LED circuitry.

On my 2016.5 the S/N on both lights end in G. One has mfr date 06/28/16 and the other 06/30/16. Mazda Cust Exp says I'm not in the recall.

Last edited:
The recall includes the replacement of harness connector seal which releases chemicals corroding the LED circuitry. If the LED DRLs are in working condition, these seals should still be replaced to prevent future damage to the LED circuitry.
Thanks yrwei52. After checking out tags on the lights, and part numbers listed on the invoice for the replacement work, I am thoroughly confused anyway, so I plan to take it to the dealer,

Hi,

I'm in Canada.

I doubt they will replace anything else for you at the moment, maybe you can hold off until this health scare is over. A tech is just gonna stare at your DRLs for 10 minutes and if they work they won't do anything.

A symptom of a bad/reacting gasket is a milky white film located on the inside of your headlight lens. If you don't see it on your new headlights, it should be fine.

I wouldn't really want anyone driving my car with Covid-19 happening now either.

I doubt they will replace anything else for you at the moment, maybe you can hold off until this health scare is over. A tech is just gonna stare at your DRLs for 10 minutes and if they work they won't do anything.

A symptom of a bad/reacting gasket is a milky white film located on the inside of your headlight lens. If you don't see it on your new headlights, it should be fine.

I wouldn't really want anyone driving my car with Covid-19 happening now either.
The recall clearly stated the culprit of failed LED DRLs is the wiring connector gasket which would emit corrosive gas and damage the LED circuitry. The gasket is the subject of replacement, in addition to the whole headlight assembly if the LED DRL has failed.

Yes, I do agree not to go to the Mazda dealer unless it’s necessary under current situation. On the other hand, DRLs are required in Canada. He may need them in working condition to avoid getting a ticket.

IMG_20200414_161649.jpg
IMG_20200414_161641.jpg

Finally this journey is over!

An update if anyone is still interested. Mazda has almost no inventory to replace the recalled headlights. I brought my 2016 GT to have them examine them and to do a state inspection. Weird catch 22 situation. I need to have one replaced and they don't have the part. And they could not perform the inspection as a faulty headlight would fail! Fortunately, I was able to take it to a local car repair and they passed it. Otherwise it would have been a nightmare.

An update if anyone is still interested. Mazda has almost no inventory to replace the recalled headlights. I brought my 2016 GT to have them examine them and to do a state inspection. Weird catch 22 situation. I need to have one replaced and they don't have the part. And they could not perform the inspection as a faulty headlight would fail! Fortunately, I was able to take it to a local car repair and they passed it. Otherwise it would have been a nightmare.

So you would have failed inspection because--although the DRLs are not required under Virginia law--they are included equipment so must work if you have them? Or were your regular headlights out as well? I guess the only way anyone would know that the DRLs don't work in an area where they are not required is if one is on and the other is off.

My 15 year old truck failed inspection last year because the fog lights did not work. I told the guy to remove them from the truck (they are not required by state law) so I could pass inspection.

According to my dealer, the DRL flickering would have forced them to fail me if they were to have officially performed the inspection. Due to this unique situation, they decided to not officially start the inspection as they would then fail me, giving me only 10 days to rectify the failure. My headlights are working fine, just the DRL on one side is flickering. Hope this helps.

Hey fellow Virginians, yeah, I asked, and even though DRLs are not mandatory, if installed they must operate on both sides per VA law - thankfully I got my inspection right before one of them started flickering.

Latest posts

Back