Daihatsu and Toyota launch new compact SUV family: Be-Go and Rush
Daihatsu Motor Co., Ltd and Toyota Motor Corp. announced today the nationwide sales launch in Japan of a new compact SUV sold as the Daihatsu Be-go through the Daihatsu dealers and as the Toyota Rush through "Toyopet" ("Osaka Toyota" in the Osaka Area) dealers in Japan.
n pursuit of being the best in its class, the new model was designed to fulfill its theme of "a tough and casual sport-utility wagon", and was developed as a new genre that merges the enjoyment and drivability of an SUV, the ease-of-use and convenience of a compact hatchback and the fun and functionality of a small station wagon. This SUV is intended to expand the freedom of young men and women who value their individuality.
The vehicle planning capabilities of both TMC and Daihatsu were combined, drawing from Daihatsu's extensive experience in compact vehicles, with Daihatsu in charge of development and production. Daihatsu will supply the Rush to Toyota on an OEM basis.
The name "Be-go" expresses the transformation from "inactive" (be-ing) to "active" (go-ing), evoking an image of an active vehicle that can change people's lives and thinking.
The name "Rush" is intended to convey a sense of energetic vitality and cheerfulness.
Monthly sales targets in Japan:
- Daihatsu Be-go: 500 units
- Toyota Rush: 1,500 units
New SUV Styling that Combines a Refined Urban Image with Dynamic Strength
* With an innovative base in which front and rear overhangs are minimized, a refined and urban image is evoked through beautiful character lines that are rounded to create a sense of flow. The wide front bumper, which conveys a robust image, and the overhanging wheel flares at the four corners of the vehicle express dynamic strength.
* Great attention was paid to the stylish interior to create a sophisticated and sporty feel. Based on a basic structure that conveys an SUV's sense of sturdiness, the three, separate gauges trimmed with "edge lights" and attractively located metallic-toned elements, such as a metallic center console and instrument cluster, express sophistication and a sporty sensibility.
* Eight body colors, including the newly adopted color, "Titanium Gray Metallic", create a stylish and sporty image.
An Optimal Layout That Achieves Compatibility between Effortless Driving and a Roomy Interior
* A minimum turning radius of 4.9 meters makes driving easy in the city, as well as on narrow streets.
* On four-wheel drive vehicles, the driver's seat is set at 740mm at the hip to provide a seating position with a high point of view, allowing for easier driving.
* Despite compact body dimensions, the vehicle's high-efficiency layout offers a cabin space that accommodates four adults in relaxed comfort and a roomy, 380-liter cargo space.
* In addition to the expansive space of 850mm between the front and rear seats, the backs of the front seats curve inward to amply provide comfortable backseat legroom.
* The wheels are placed as close to the four corners of the vehicle as possible, providing a long wheelbase and a wide track, thereby achieving excellent cruising stability.
* The minimal difference in height between the floor and the scuff plates by the front doors, along with rear doors that open in three-stages to a maximum of 77 degrees, provide excellent overall ease of entry and exit.
Vehicle Dimensions (Four-wheel Drive)
Overall length 3,995mm
Overall width 1,695mm
Overall height 1,705mm
Interior length 1,800mm
Interior width 1,385mm
Interior height 1,240mm
Distance between the front and rear seats 850mm
The Cargo Space of a Small Station Wagon Combined with Comfort-enhancing Equipment
* The back seats can recline, fold in a 60/40 split, or be easily stowed away. By stowing both the left and right rear seats, an expansive and flat cargo space of 755 liters can be created.
* Special features, such as four luggage tie-down hooks, electrical sockets for accessories in the instrument panel and rear cargo space, and water-repellant full-fabric seats facilitate outdoor leisure activities.
* Numerous and easy-to-use storage areas achieve optimal use of space, and are located in an overhead console and under each of the two rear seats.
* A comfortable and relaxing interior is created through the use of an automatic air conditioner with a liquid crystal display and a pollen-removal mode, which filters out pollen, dust and other impurities from the air in the cabin (standard on the Be-go CX and the Rush G), an air-cleaning technology called Plasmacluster Ions, UV cutting glass (on all windows) and a security alarm.
* The new vehicle is equipped with a HDD (hard disk drive) navigation system compatible with the advanced "G-BOOK ALPHA" telematics service, which includes services such as provision of optimal travel routes based on traffic-congestion forecasts (manufacturer option on all vehicles in the series).
* The Active Winter Pack, a bundle of features for cold climates, features a window seal de-icer and electrically operated, heated door mirrors, seat heaters for the driver's and passenger's seats, and rear fog lamps that are integrated into the rear combination lamps.
Full-Time Four-Wheel Drive and Superior Drivability
* A sophisticated full-time four-wheel drive system, with a mechanical, center-locking differential, offers not only excellent off-road performance but also on-road stable cruising performance at high speeds.
* The VSC (Vehicle Stability Control) system (a manufacturer's option) adds sensors to four-wheel-drive vehicles to detect sliding tires on slippery road surfaces and to automatically control the brake-force distribution between the front and rear. In addition, four-wheel-drive, automatic transmission models with VSC are equipped with the newly developed DAC (Downhill Assist Control) function and the HAC (Hill-start Assist Control) function, which are helpful in both bad road and off-road conditions.
* The newly developed 1.5-liter engine features high torque at low and medium speeds combined with smooth acceleration performance at high speeds for ample power in all situations.
* The short overhangs and adequate, minimum ground clearance provide excellent off-road performance.
* A newly developed, "built-in ladder frame" monocoque body achieves balance between lighter weight and higher body rigidity, offering a comfortable ride.
* A newly developed suspension system provides a smooth ride, brisk maneuvering and cruising stability at high speeds, as well as ease of driving in off-road conditions.
* A quiet cabin space is realized through the use of sound-absorbent dashboard silencers, the effective placement of sound-blocking materials and doubled seals around the doors.
A High Level of Safety and Environmental Performance * The body incorporates the concept of omni-directional compatibility (collision safety) and meets the requirements of both Daihatsu's TAF (Total Advanced Function) and Toyota's GOA (Global Outstanding Assessment).
* The pedestrian-injury-lessening body structure has been evolved to further reduce pedestrian head injuries.
* By using an Intelligent Catalytic Converter with a self-regenerating function and excellent cleaning performance, all vehicles in the series have been certified as having emissions levels 50% lower than 2005 standards under the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport's Approval System for Low-emission Vehicles.
* Outstanding fuel efficiency has been achieved thanks to a new engine with precise combustion control, lower overall vehicle weight, improved aerodynamic properties, etc.
How about a Scion SUV?