CX9 transmission fluid flush?

Bluesguy

:
2010 Mazda CX-9
I have a 2010 CX9 with 44K on it. I contacted Mazda North America about replacing the transmission fluid and they said do not do it.
They say it is meant to last the life of the car. My dealer keeps telling me I need a flush for $260.

What do you think? Thanks.

The dealer is just looking for extra work. Service works on a comisison basis, just like sales. I stick to the manufacturer recommendations for the most part and have done fine. There are some exceptions I do make for 'known issues' like the transfer case oil but for the rest I stick to what the book that came with the vehicle says.

I have a 2012 with right under 35,000 miles and I am going to have the dealer flush it in the next month. Cost is right at $200. I personally think it is worth it as we are planning on keeping this vehicle for a long time. Others might disagree buti think it is worth it if you plan on keeping the car.

I'm curious as to how they flush the sealed transmission? there is no drain plug on it correct? CX9''s 2011+ are sealed if I'm not mistaken.

That being said there are a number of ways to "change" the fluid in the transfer case, you just need to be creative and actually suck some of the fluid out first.

I replaced the trans fluid in my 2010 CX9 with 43k miles yesterday. What a huge difference. It's really easy to drain and fill with mine since it still has the dipstick so refilling the trans is cake. Definitely worth the $200 savings vs going to the dealer. I called around and the quotes were all about $260.

The one thing I did differently from most is that after the first drain and refill, I repeated the procedure today to try and get all the old oil out instead of waiting another few months. The color was not as dark brown as the first drain and could see hints of red from the new fluid.

I checked the level today and noticed that the fluid was almost completely red on the dipstick, the same color as the fresh fluid. The shifts are so much smoother now, like a new again.

Just make sure you get Automatic Transmission Fluid specifically developed to meet the JWS3309 specification. As per your Mazda Owners handbook, this is the ATF fluid that your Aisin manufactured 6 speed auto box needs. Getting a generic multi-vehicle ATF fluid that meets a load of other manufacturers specifications will be a compromise and brings any associated, unmeasurable risks (durability, longevity etc). If you're still under warranty, you'll void it.
Mobil ATF 3309 is a good option. Specifically developed for these boxes. There's a good chance Mazda sources this ATF fluid from Mobil. Buy it from Mobil and its around a quarter of the price the Mazda dealer will charge you.

If you ever look at the chart that the dealer service advisor has you will notice that the application for this trans is 3309/T-IV, meaning that you can use Toyota T-IV as well. Someone on this site got the Toyota fluid for less than the mazda fluid to do their flush of the trans.

I normally do all of my maintenance but I had my 2012 transmission flushed at the dealer using their flush machine about two weeks ago. I have 35,000 miles and will most probably just have it flushed by them every 30,000 or so. It was right at $200.

Mobil manufactures Mobil ATF JWS 3309 specifically for these Aisin transmissions. There's a good chance this is the fluid Mazda sources for their workshops. In Australia, Mazda wants $25/litre for their 3309 ATF fluid. Mobil distributors charge around 1/3 of that price for their 3309. Don't risk using the Multi-Vehicle ATF fluids. Even though they say they comply with the JWS3309 standard, they may not be tested for it, and they also comply with all the Mercon standards which the Aisin transmission boxes don't like. Multi-Vehicle ATF fluids are a compromise and you may regret it with your wallet in the long run.

Thanks Lee. Like many things Amazon, its not shipping friendly outside the US.

Last edited:
I own a 2008 CX-9 with 117K miles which still has original transmission fluid, yup, never replaced. After this realization, I have spoken both with a local mechanic I trust (although admittedly not a Mazda expert), as well as the local Mazda Dealer (who I only partially trust). Although the manual does not specify when the transmission fluid was due to be changed, the Dealer tells me it should have been done (flushed and replaced) at 60K. They serviced the vehicle at 40K and 80K, but since not at ~60K, they did not pick up on the fact the transmisison fluid was never replaced. Ultimatley it's my fault (and my wife, it's her vehicle) for not paying attention to this critical fluid. The fluid is not black, nor burnt, but a little dirty. Dealer says that since over 100K, not to replace it - too risky. That gears might not line up afterwards. Mechanic says if a drain and fill, not a flush, makes sense to replace it now. Asst Service Manager at Dealer says they don't do a drain and fill, only a flush, since it holds 12 quarts, and a drain and fill only replaces ~5 quarts, so 7 quarts would still be original/dirty.

Thoughts on what I should do?

Thanks. Do you happen to know where the transmission drain plug is located (not sure if same, or different, between my 2008 and your 2013)? I searched on line (YouTube, etc...) and don't see any photos of where the plug is located.

Besides the fact my manual does not list anywhere the service interval/mileage when this fluid should be changed (it was only the Dealer who told me 60K), the manual states the capacity is a little over 7 US quarts. The Asst Service Manager at local Mazda Dealer told me it holds 12 quarts. Big difference between 7 and 12. Anyone know which it really is - for a 2008?

Thanks. Do you happen to know where the transmission drain plug is located (not sure if same, or different, between my 2008 and your 2013)? I searched on line (YouTube, etc...) and don't see any photos of where the plug is located.

Besides the fact my manual does not list anywhere the service interval/mileage when this fluid should be changed (it was only the Dealer who told me 60K), the manual states the capacity is a little over 7 US quarts. The Asst Service Manager at local Mazda Dealer told me it holds 12 quarts. Big difference between 7 and 12. Anyone know which it really is - for a 2008?

I wouldn't do a flush either. Here are some of the drain plug posts with pics. http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...ATF-Drained-and-refilled-today-Lifetime-fluid http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...D-Transmission-amp-Differential-Fluid-Changes

Last edited:
Back