CX9 Overall Reliability and Owner Satisfaction

Okie Dokie, went back to the Mazda dealer today, same dealer cause they're close to where I'm staying in Florida. My wife wanted to drive the CX5 diesel, and so we did. It was like a dog and pony show but without the pony. I mean it was very doggy in performance but in all other aspects it was a beautiful car and fully equipped. So, the CX9 is out, the CX5 diesel is out, there is only one left, the CX5 gas engine.
Why you ask? Well, as was said here, its lighter than the CX9 so maybe has better performance. So we drove it and it does in fact have better performance. I then measured the cargo area...the jury is still out, I would have to load it up to see how it swallows our luggage and stuff.
Bottom line, .. we will go back once more and take them up on their offer to take it over a weekend so I have the time to get it up on the interstate, fill up the cargo area and see how it does.

Drive either the Signature or GTR. Those two have same 250/227hp engine as CX-9.

Yup, drove the Sig trim level CX5. For an AWD, I was surprised that it exhibited torque steer when nailing it while coming out of a turn. I suppose it favors the front wheels but it broke my steering wheel grip when it did that. The leather wrapped wheel is very very smooth and I found it a bit slippery in normal driving when needing to turn the car. I neglected to ask the dealer if they had 87 or 93 octane in the tank. I guess if I'n now going to discuss the CX5, I'm in the wrong forum.

If you are interested in power look at the link titled "Anyone here get their 2.5T tuned yet?" Also I haven't noticed any torque steer that you have described. Keep in mind Mazda dials the torque WAY back at 3700rpm.

Yup, drove the Sig trim level CX5. For an AWD, I was surprised that it exhibited torque steer when nailing it while coming out of a turn. I suppose it favors the front wheels but it broke my steering wheel grip when it did that. The leather wrapped wheel is very very smooth and I found it a bit slippery in normal driving when needing to turn the car. I neglected to ask the dealer if they had 87 or 93 octane in the tank. I guess if I'n now going to discuss the CX5, I'm in the wrong forum.
Torque is same 310lb-ft (320 on 2020) regardless of gas octane.

A lot of people have experienced the torque steer. It is common on the CX-9 as well and there is an entire post dedicated to it on this forum. I think it is a combination of very high torque at very low rpm with not very grippy tires and a front wheel drive bias. I don't really notice it in my everyday driving but can force it to happen if I want. That's a lot of torque really early in the power band, max torque is at 2000 rpm. A lot of people didn't believe at first that Mazda would fit that engine in the CX-5 and mazda 6 because of the very high torque amount for these light cars.

This engine is tuned differently from the norm and you kind of have to readjust to it slightly to enjoy it. It is not a fun engine to rev high, but it gives you everything immediately. It is very satisfying in normal driving because the torque is immediately there, but doesn't give you more as the revs climbs (its already maxed out at 2000 rpm.) Anyway I could go on and on and geek out about it, but I like it. My last car could do 300HP but close to its rev limit, and you would have to stay in 2nd gear all the way to 50 miles per hour to really enjoy it. Different characters.

I still have my 2008 CX-9 Grand Touring that we bought new. It has 135,000 miles on it and for the most part has been a great vehicle. In our search for a new vehicle now, we are still looking at Mazda. Ours is a front wheel drive so never had to deal with some of the transfer case issues that were reported. The issue we did have that is a common problem is having to have wheel bearings replaced. While not a problem for use, the front end has made terrible creaking noises for years and the dealership always say nothing is wrong with it. That is another complaint that I've heard even with the new ones. Overall, I am very happy with how it has performed for the last 12 years.

I would be more apt to keep cars to the mileage point of yours if I didn't live in the northeast where salty winters just kill the undersides and rust every bolt and nut.

I would be more apt to keep cars to the mileage point of yours if I didn't live in the northeast where salty winters just kill the undersides and rust every bolt and nut.

I lived in the Philly region for over 30 years and routinely kept cars for 150K miles. Never had an issue with rust (on a modern car). Spans most manufacturers from Honda, Toyota, Subaru, Mazda, Geo (!).

Right, Philly is not so bad, I'm three hours north just above the PA/NY line, they salt the roads even when there's a chance of precip at near freezing temps. The climate is much more mile just south of the Lehigh Valley tunnel as we drive to Philly.

Visited the Mazda dealer again today, sadly to say goodbye that I'm not going to further my interest in one. We drove the CX9, CX5 and the CX5 Diesel. We wanted to really consider one but the CX9 was just too underpowered for us and so was the CX5 diesel. The CX5 gasoline was the closest but its cargo area is not bigger than in my X3 and I would still like it to have more horses so the two issues ruled it out.
I was glad to have been able to check out the Mazda's and have to say, we liked the majority of what we experienced. Oh well, back to the drawing board.
Thanks to all who helped me along this journey, I appreciate the time you put into answering my questions and getting me acquainted with Mazda!

Visited the Mazda dealer again today, sadly to say goodbye that I'm not going to further my interest in one. We drove the CX9, CX5 and the CX5 Diesel. We wanted to really consider one but the CX9 was just too underpowered for us and so was the CX5 diesel. The CX5 gasoline was the closest but its cargo area is not bigger than in my X3 and I would still like it to have more horses so the two issues ruled it out.
I was glad to have been able to check out the Mazda's and have to say, we liked the majority of what we experienced. Oh well, back to the drawing board.
Thanks to all who helped me along this journey, I appreciate the time you put into answering my questions and getting me acquainted with Mazda!

Too bad. I hope you follow up here with whatever you decide to purchase in the end!

I've about exhausted my search, though I have not looked at Lexus yet but I hear their high tech stuff and menu system is a mess, still I owe it to myself to go find out for sure. The Genesis GV80 will be coming out in a few months, I'll most likely still be looking and will check it out as it has a V6 engine, though no word on how quick it is yet and its cargo space is the size I'm looking for.

First time Mazda owner. Purchased 2019 CX-9 GT last year and currently have almost 21,000 on it. No issues as of late but have noticed a front end noise when pulling into driveway at an angle. Will take in soon. Fit and finish has been better than expected as well as the driving fun but infotainment system does need improvement. Had a chance to purchase a Mazda in 2011 but chose a Kia due to the Mazda/Ford history. Happy they are on their own again.

Mind I have a 2013 but you haven't had fun until you've power steered through an icy corner just using the throttle! I'd hope that the newer versions are more rear drive biased during fun driving too, but haven't had a chance to test that. (back in 2013 I got to test drive all my potentials during an nice 2-3 inch snow storm and while the cx9 was not the best at handling the snow, it certainly was the most fun in it)

In using loaners during oil changes and such I have noticed that the cx9 seems to use it's power better than the gas cx5. though obviously the cx5 was faster. I also like that it feels bigger and is bigger. I will say that the old v6 certainly feels faster and I think it is. Still I felt that that the newer one (powered on regular gas) was still pretty good, especially given previously very underpowered (but impressively fun) mazda's that I owned. Mazda has generally not been about the speed, but about the fun factor. Being able to hit onramps briskly without so much as a squeal or complaint from the frame is always fun.

Mazda has generally not been about the speed, but about the fun factor. Being able to hit onramps briskly without so much as a squeal or complaint from the frame is always fun.
Exactly.

In using loaners during oil changes and such I have noticed that the cx9 seems to use it's power better than the gas cx5. though obviously the cx5 was faster. I also like that it feels bigger and is bigger. I will say that the old v6 certainly feels faster and I think it is. Still I felt that that the newer one (powered on regular gas) was still pretty good, especially given previously very underpowered (but impressively fun) mazda's that I owned. Mazda has generally not been about the speed, but about the fun factor. Being able to hit onramps briskly without so much as a squeal or complaint from the frame is always fun.

It seems the 0-60 for both generations is basically the same. The 2016+ might be a tenth of a second faster. I think the biggest difference in performance might only be passing power at highway speeds.

If both gens are stomped on at a light, and close, that's one thing. But isn't the benefit of the 2016+ engine that you get nice brisk acceleration without needing to hammer pedal? I've not driven the older gen, but that characteristic of the torque/low rpm would count for a lot. I like how I can hit a gap in traffic when changing lanes with just a tap of the gas. my days of enjoying flooring it are done, and this engine suits that.

Like others have said Martino, not sure what your expectation level is here for a 3 row suv, the CX9 is plenty competitive with others in its class and some that are smaller in size, and if its lacking in speed, its not a big difference compared to others. IF you want more speed, go for a high performance luxury SUV, like X7, Q7, GL, etc. but you will pay for it, double the cost, or go used. Or get a V8 or turbo V6 truck, or Suburban/Tahoe, etc.
We bought our CX9 for my wife, with 3 kids now, coming out of a 370HP Pontiac G8 GT (which by the way was a reliability nightmare), and I daily drive a 450HP Cayenne Turbo (dont hate, its a 2005 which I bought used), and have several performance cars, and neither of us in anyway feel the CX9 is underpowered or slow. I used to Drive a 1992 Landcruiser (talk about slow - like 14 seconds to hit 60), and 1984 BMW 318i (slow but fun), the list goes on. The point is speed isnt everything, you need to reset your expectation level for a vehicle that has a lot of room and costs less than 50k with reliability to boot, and that the CX9 is no outlier in terms of performance (which is a good thing). Actually its a standpoint as most here and the press know.
Good luck in your quest!

Back