CX9 Overall Reliability and Owner Satisfaction

EDIT:

Okay, I'm confused as to if the US is getting powered 2nd row or not. Video below shows a 2020 Signature and it's still the same manual operation. Skip to around 16:25 to see him move the 2nd row seats. Do note that this is a dealership in Canada so it might just be the Canadian trim? I doubt that though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6W7JHLw6oI

Looks like it's manual, hooray. It's very likely that the US CX-9 will function the same way. I still wouldn't opt for it though - you're basically trading the middle seat for a 2nd row center console. It adds a lot of storage room, but I personally would prefer having seven seats instead of six.

Note that the Signature trim is likely going to be the only trim with the 2nd row center console. The Touring and GT trims will have the pass-through between the captain's chairs if you opt for them. But since you want the bench seat (which I'd prefer as well), you can go GT with bench seat. You'd be missing out on mostly cosmetic stuff like wood trim, ambient lighting and a couple of leather options if you were eyeing a 2020 Signature.

Just out of curiosity, what ambient lighting does the Signature have that the GT doesn't? In my GT I have front door pockets, door handles, and center console (via overhead light), and rear door pockets all illuminated by LED ambient lighting. Seems like the important places are covered.

Just out of curiosity, what ambient lighting does the Signature have that the GT doesn't? In my GT I have front door pockets, door handles, and center console (via overhead light), and rear door pockets all illuminated by LED ambient lighting. Seems like the important places are covered.

Important areas are definitely covered. The extras on the Signature that I'm familiar with are the ambient lighting around the shifter panel and the front grille accent lighting. There might be more that I'm missing.

Note that the Signature trim is likely going to be the only trim with the 2nd row center console. The Touring and GT trims will have the pass-through between the captain's chairs if you opt for them. But since you want the bench seat (which I'd prefer as well), you can go GT with bench seat. You'd be missing out on mostly cosmetic stuff like wood trim, ambient lighting and a couple of leather options if you were eyeing a 2020 Signature.

Right, I was just on the Mazda build site and studied the seating between the four trim levels. First off, I believe there is at least one error in the seating details in the Signature level but to be honest, the wording in the details confuses me. None the less, this is my take on it.. ..

2020 US Version

Sport trim level: 60/40 split fold-down and reclining 2nd-row seats with tilt and slide 3rd-row access. ( I assume manual adjustments since it didn't specify power)

Touring & Grand Touring trim level: 2nd-row 60/40 bench seat with power tilt-and-slide 3rd-row access. However, for the Touring and Grand Touring, if you order the Premium pkg, you can also get the captain chairs in place of the bench seat if you wish though the center aisle between the captain chairs is a walk through without the center console.

Signature trim level: 2nd-row powered captain's chairs with center console

I bought a 2020 CX9 GT for 38640 plus TTL (so deals can be had) and free crossbars and arches. We came from a 2018 CX5...needed a bigger car and new we were ganna trade in the CX5 so bit the bullet..unexpected family growth. So I can compare

Pros:
Love the increased space vs the CX5. Feels more premium and spacious

Drives great! Very comfy and quiet. Engine is much better compared to non turbo cx5 and 6, which I've driven. Doesn't feel underpowered.

LOVE LOVE LOVE captains chairs. Mine are non powered with no middle console (GT). Because the CX9 is a smaller 3 row it really helps with feeling like ur passengers are important. Additionally you can move the seats forward and backwards to give more space versus the 3 seat 2nd row config which in the CX5 was fixed and is the only option in 2019. If you have kids with car seats the biggest issue we had was in order to fit the car seat in the backseat we had to move the front seat up so much we felt cramped even in the cx5. Because you can move the captains chairs back the front passenger gets loads more room and is way way more comfy. Climate control is powerful and 2 USB.

9 inch tab vs 19s 8 inch but same resolution. I like this size.

Backup, front and 360 camera low res but work. I like the 360 and front view camera. Parking sensors included with GT are great.

I'm used to the safety features from my 18 CX5

Drives great..doesn't feel like a big car.

Best looking in class.

first gripe:
Front driver seat seems a little cramped on the right knee. Not sure why they made the console jut out so much in that area, but my 16 mazda 6 feels like it has more room for my right knee. I'm 5'6 but you'll get more space as you move the seat back. It's not annoying but for a car of this size you feel like you should have a lot of room. HOWEVER, the car feels more ergonomically friendly waits up. I think the center console location is better placed.

2nd gripe:
Steering feel for a mazda is toned down meaning it feels light. Not as tight and responsive as my 6 or CX5. Still damn good but wish it was a little tighter..maybe they gave in some as a family sedan

3rd gripe:
bad mazda paint

Overall it's an SUV that accomidates a family but it isnt a family suv if that makes sense. If space, cargo volume, 3red row comfort are absolute musts then their are better options for you. Those cons arent important enough for me to consider a different brand...thats what the free roof rack and rails are for.

I'm thrilled and love it compared to the CX5 and plan on keeping the car until it breaks.

a few people bought the car with the assumption that it has Lane Centering, which it does not.

That'd be me but no way a deal breaker. 2020 having hands free tailgate is one reason to go 2020 although I'm not actually sure you said 2019 or earlier was in consideration.

Mine is very new, so can't speak to reliability but if you share what you are considering as competition could help get some opinions. For handling and luxury interior, I didn't see anything from mainstream brands come close. Reviews seem to support that. If you need cargo room, might want to look elsewhere. For me, I looked at atlas, Pilot and the korean brands, but all just too big. I gladly traded size for handling.

Hi, I'm considering a 2020 CX9, have never owned a Mazda before but the reliability of the brand I used to buy has gone down the tubes and the manufacturer is treating owners terrible. I don't want to switch from one unreliable brand to another so am interested in what owners of the 2018/2019's have to say. From what I've read, the 2018/2019 reliability should reflect that of the 2020 with the exception of the newer infotainment system in the 2020. Anyway, what say you?

Im two years into my first Mazda, I have a 2018 CX-9 Signature 23k miles.

What I like:
- No major issues so far
- Takes bumps well
- Quiet cabin
- Leather seems nice
- Radar Cruise works great
- Nice road feel steering
- I can get everyday loads
in the back with the 3rd row down
- Stereo sound is good

What I dont like:
- Front A pillars block sightline!
- Miss a CD player
-Infotainment system is SLOW and cumbersome. Had it reflashed or updated three times... going back in for a forth time.
- Torque steer!
- Exterior paint sucks ($600 upcharge)
- At times, too much acceleration lag when having to get into traffic quickly
- Hottest inside summer temp of any car Ive owned, AC is just ok.

Overall, its a good, dependable vehicle.
My kids are grown, I may go with something a little smaller and sportier.

Wishing you the best with your decision.
-

Last edited:
I*m two years into my first Mazda, I have a 2018 CX-9 Signature 23k miles.

What I like:
- No major issues so far
- Takes bumps well
- Quiet cabin
- Leather seems nice
- Radar Cruise works great
- Nice road feel steering
- I can get everyday loads
in the back with the 3rd row down
- Stereo sound is good

What I don*t like:
- Front A pillars block sightline!
- Miss a CD player
-Infotainment system is SLOW and cumbersome. Had it reflashed or updated three times... going back in for a forth time.
- Torque steer!
- Exterior paint sucks ($600 upcharge)
- At times, too much acceleration lag when having to get into traffic quickly
- Hottest inside summer temp of any car I*ve owned, AC is just ok.

Overall, it*s a good, dependable vehicle.
My kids are grown, I may go with something a little smaller and sportier.

Wishing you the best with your decision.
-

Fruitwolf,
You and Heligrin both didn't like the paint, can you elaborate on that for me? Interesting note about the A/C, I'll be test driving one in Florida and was actually anxious to see how much the A/C put a drag on performance anyway so will know how well it cools or not. 7 seconds 0-60 will be the slowest car I've owned in quite a few years and I'm just not sure its going to cut it for me but am trying to overcome it (uhm) My three biggest concerns about the CX-9 is...Performance, Reliability and Cargo Space with the third row folded down and the cargo cover in place. It will mainly be used for trips and I need the space.
I've driven the Tiguan, its got squirrels for power, I drove its bigger brother the Atlas, wife and I both hated it. I've already ruled out KIA, Subaru, Lexus, Hyundai, Honda, Toyota for various reasons. I looked at Mazda last since my closest dealer is 1.5hrs away. The Mazda is the best looking one of the bunch.

Martino, you mentioned elsewhere about the cargo cover hiding things. I'm same way, have it covering contents whenever possible. When travelling I find it's hard to fit things under in many SUVs, as i'm so tempted to just keep piling things up.

I don't have comparable measurements, but the height of the area under the cargo cover to me seems quite shallow. The depth and width are obviously there to use, but in other SUVs I previously was able to fit a cooler and a small piece of luggage on top and still close cargo cover over the two items, the cx9 doesn't have that height.

So, depends what you're carrying. I have a stroller that will fold and fit under a CRV cargo cover in one piece-that's not a big SUV!. In cx9 i separate stroller into two pieces as the height of the cover wont allow it to fit underneath as one. It might fit if I tried hard, but it's snug and not worth the hassle and not worth damaging cover.

I've driven the Tiguan, its got squirrels for power, I drove its bigger brother the Atlas, wife and I both hated it. I've already ruled out KIA, Subaru, Lexus, Hyundai, Honda, Toyota for various reasons.

How about Nissan? The Pathfinder has size but I can see how performance and style not the same. I have couple friends who are happy with theirs though.

It's not so much a mazda thing as it is an industry trend due to thin paint, however, my wife's soul eed cx5 chipped like crazy. I've never seen anything like it..after one year the hood had a lot of rock chips. Same thing with my crystal blue mazda6 but less I think? Anyways mazda paint seems to chip easily.

I plan on getting PPF for our CX19 to protect the front end.

Martino, you mentioned elsewhere about the cargo cover hiding things. I'm same way, have it covering contents whenever possible. When travelling I find it's hard to fit things under in many SUVs, as i'm so tempted to just keep piling things up.

I don't have comparable measurements, but the height of the area under the cargo cover to me seems quite shallow. The depth and width are obviously there to use, but in other SUVs I previously was able to fit a cooler and a small piece of luggage on top and still close cargo cover over the two items, the cx9 doesn't have that height.

So, depends what you're carrying. I have a stroller that will fold and fit under a CRV cargo cover in one piece-that's not a big SUV!. In cx9 i separate stroller into two pieces as the height of the cover wont allow it to fit underneath as one. It might fit if I tried hard, but it's snug and not worth the hassle and not worth damaging cover.

Thanks GTA-CX9,
That's what I've been reading, for the size of the car, the cargo space is smaller than people expect as they walk up to it and the reviews I've read all agree - probably gonna be a deal breaker but I've posted under that specific topic and hopefully someone will take the measurements and reply.

Thanks GTA-CX9,
That's what I've been reading, for the size of the car, the cargo space is smaller than people expect as they walk up to it and the reviews I've read all agree - probably gonna be a deal breaker but I've posted under that specific topic and hopefully someone will take the measurements and reply.

I went out to take measurements for you (also posted in your other thread specifically requesting the measurements). I don't have my cover with me, but I was able to get approximate measurements. It's -24c (feels like -32c with the windchill) right now though, so my measurements may be off by a 1/2" or so due to shivering lol.

Based on your image here (cross-posted from the other thread):

attachment.php

A = 48"
B = 40"
C = 14"

I also measured the width of the hatch opening, which is about 43".

I think part of the reason the cover isnt higher is because of the windows behind the 2nd row. If the cover were higher, thieves could just look into the fixed window beside the door and there would be a clear view of the cargo. What I would do is carry an extra tarp or thin blanket to drape over larger items.

EDIT: Note that these measurements are from a 2018, which has the "old" cargo cover that doesn't attach to the liftgate. Hopefully someone with a 2020 chimes in, otherwise you may have to bring a tape measure with you to the dealership when you do your test drive.

Last edited:
I went out to take measurements for you (also posted in your other thread specifically requesting the measurements). I don't have my cover with me, but I was able to get approximate measurements. It's -24c (feels like -32c with the windchill) right now though, so my measurements may be off by a 1/2" or so due to shivering lol.

attachment.php

A = 48"
B = 40"
C = 14"

I think part of the reason the cover isnt higher is because of the windows behind the 2nd row. If the cover were higher, thieves could just look into the fixed window beside the door and there would be a clear view of the cargo. What I would do is carry an extra tarp or thin blanket to drape over larger items.

EDIT: Note that these measurements are from a 2018, which has the "old" cargo cover that doesn't attach to the liftgate. Hopefully someone with a 2020 chimes in, otherwise you may have to bring a tape measure with you to the dealership when you do your test drive.

sm1ke, youre a boss when it comes to posting in here. Many thanks for the details. 👍🏻👍🏻

A = 48"
B = 40"
C = 14"

Thanks sm1ke, I replied to this on my other thread. https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123870287-2019-2020-CX-9-Cargo-Area-Dimensions Yes, I do plan on bringing a tape measure :)

sm1ke, you*re a boss when it comes to posting in here. Many thanks for the details. ��������

Just doing what I can to contribute! (hi)

Ok, in Florida now and visited the local Mazda dealer today. Sort of a joke in that I knew more about the CX9 than the sales guy and his mgr did. Thanks to you guys and my research. None the less, my wife and I drove a GT level and while we both liked the exterior and interior, the performance was lackluster :-( I think it would be ok for round town driving but I'm mostly looking at this car for long trips and it just runs out of HP once around 60mph.
My wife saw a CX5 that was a diesel, I didn't know Mazda made diesel powered cars. Although the 5 is smaller than the 9, she wants to go back to drive it because its got 290 ft lbs torque. Just can't see the smaller cargo area working out but will appease her which will give me another look at the 9

Ok, in Florida now and visited the local Mazda dealer today. Sort of a joke in that I knew more about the CX9 than the sales guy and his mgr did. Thanks to you guys and my research. None the less, my wife and I drove a GT level and while we both liked the exterior and interior, the performance was lackluster :-( I think it would be ok for round town driving but I'm mostly looking at this car for long trips and it just runs out of HP once around 60mph.
My wife saw a CX5 that was a diesel, I didn't know Mazda made diesel powered cars. Although the 5 is smaller than the 9, she wants to go back to drive it because its got 290 ft lbs torque. Just can't see the smaller cargo area working out but will appease her which will give me another look at the 9

Sorry to hear it didn't work out. Lack of power seems to be a constant battle that Mazda is fighting. There are a couple of tuners out there that are working on a tune for the 2.5T (Orange Virus and DrTuned), but as far as I know, they haven't been successful yet.

If the CX-5 is open to consideration, I'd suggest test driving the 2019 or 2020 GT Reserve or Signature trim. Those cars come with the same engine as the CX-9 (2020s get a slight bump in torque I believe, from 310 to 320 ft-lbs). Being a lighter vehicle with the same engine, the car handles better and accelerates much faster. The CX-9 does 0-60 in about 7 seconds, and the CX-5 does it in about 6. The diesel will return better mileage, but if performance and utility is the goal, the CX-5 with the 2.5T engine is your best bet.

EDIT: If passing power is in question, maybe try the CX-9 again, and ensure that you're engaging the kickdown switch. I had no idea such a thing existed until I came across it a few months ago. In case you're not familiar, if you press the accelerator to the floor, then press it a little harder, you'll feel the kickdown switch engage. The switch basically forces the transmission to downshift, which should help with acceleration when passing.

Last edited:
Thanks sm1ke, I do believe its worth another trip to the Mazda dealer. Yes I was sorta disappointed in its performance but you guys told me that, so it wasn't a surprise. I liked the car though. My wife likes the size of the 5 better and I put a thought in her head that instead of the 9 as a replacement for our X3, maybe it could be a replacement for her GTi, however, its hard to give up a 6 yr warranty GTi that she loves, she's only had it less than two years. The jury is still out!

Back