CX9 Overall Reliability and Owner Satisfaction

Hi, I'm considering a 2020 CX9, have never owned a Mazda before but the reliability of the brand I used to buy has gone down the tubes and the manufacturer is treating owners terrible. I don't want to switch from one unreliable brand to another so am interested in what owners of the 2018/2019's have to say. From what I've read, the 2018/2019 reliability should reflect that of the 2020 with the exception of the newer infotainment system in the 2020. Anyway, what say you?

The infotainment in the cx-9 is not new. Same system as in the 2018-2019.

Overall, the car is reliable and fun. If you have questions, get an extended warranty. Don't pay more than $1000 for it.

The infotainment in the cx-9 is not new. Same system as in the 2018-2019.

Overall, the car is reliable and fun. If you have questions, get an extended warranty. Don't pay more than $1000 for it.

Thanks for the quick reply. Ok, somewhere I either read or watched a video and got the impression that the infotainment on the 2020 was one of the changes for that model year, maybe I'm wrong. I'm not a fan of extended warranties on a new car - ugh. Can you tell me what year yours is, the mileage and what issues you've had? Assuming you have a CX9 but that is not what I see in your info, so dunno.

Had a 2010 cx9. Traded for a 2019 cx9. Could have purchased practically any other car but I didn*t. Nuff said.
Put 128,000 miles on 2010 and only issue was a new alternator at around 100,000. 9500 so for on new car (knock wood). Every vehicle I*ve owned has it*s compromises and this one is no different, but for my household I*ve no complaints.

Yeah, the CX-30 and Mazda 3 have the new infotainment system. Not sure if the CX-5 has it and why they did not put it in the Cx-9 makes no sense to me.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...o-reliability-study-2020-vehicles/2578463001/

Here's the most recent news from consumer reports - CX-9 most reliable car and Mazda is 2nd most reliable brand :)
Infotainment has 9 inch screen in 2020 vs 8 inch in 2019 and older models but I guess same processor. Some more changes as well

Thanks Vdev,
I get Consumer Reports and read that article but there's nothing like listening to what owners have to say. Like ohmboy said, every vehicle has its own set of issues, I'd just like to know what they are for the CX9 before I jump in(dunno)

2018 CX-9 Grand Touring AWD here with about 23k miles. I really like it a lot! Only a couple notable issues, but nothing that's affected the vehicle's reliability:
1. Infotainment - it's old and outdated. Lags, takes a while to boot up. It's fine, but could definitely use an update.
2. Tires - I've complained a lot about the tires that came on my CX-9 (Bridgestone Ecopias) but I replaced them around Labor Day this year and the vehicle finally drives like I thought it would and should when I first got it. It gets through winter weather VERY well now whereas the Ecopias were truly dangerous in the snow. I started a thread reviewing the tires I replaced the Ecopias with here: https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...Running-review-Continental-TerrainContact-H-T

The CX-9 otherwise fits my family well when they're in town visiting, was great for a move, longer road trips, etc. It strikes a great balance between sportiness and comfort. I just wish it had a little more power.

As for reliability, no issues mechanically for me yet *knock on wood*. Just regular maintenance. This thing's been a real champ as I admittedly don't always drive it gently.

That said, any car should be reliable up to 23k miles and beyond, so I can't really speak to higher mileage reliability or problem spots.

Thanks Vdev,
I get Consumer Reports and read that article but there's nothing like listening to what owners have to say. Like ohmboy said, every vehicle has its own set of issues, I'd just like to know what they are for the CX9 before I jump in(dunno)

I was in the same boat as you but after the reading many posts on internet, I thought it was average or better reliability- like any other japanese brand. Please note break up with Ford happened in 2015 and as a result I guess, reliability should go up now !! I have not seen anybody complaining about the recent SUVs made after 2016 or so (newer designs for CX-5/9) on mazda boards
Lexus and Toyota seems to enjoy the best brands out there but I do not like to drive any of those cars - sorry to say. Driving is important and so Mazda 7 seven seater topped out in the every review. CR made another convincing point. I bought mine a month ago and so I have no data to share here.
Good luck with your research

The only things I'd be worried about are the captain's chairs on the Signature model, if they happen to operate the same way that they do in Japan's CX-8. Infotainment shouldn't be an issue since they just made the display larger, but who knows - in the CX-9's first year or two of production, there were some infotainment issues that led to poor reliability scores, but all of those issues should have been ironed out by now (my 2018 has worked very well since I took delivery). No idea if changing the screen size will affect how the current system performs.

Some other things that a few 2018 and 2019 owners have reported are wheel/tire vibrations and the occasional front suspension clunk. These are usually handled well by dealers, but there are a couple of exceptions where people had to deal with poor service at the dealer. I have a 2018 Signature with almost 32k kms on it, and I have nothing but good things to say about mine. I did an oil analysis recently and according to the lab, everything was normal. No odd interior noises aside from those made by my daughter's car seat. Mechanical reliability is solid IMO, but make sure you take the car for a lengthy test drive and test all features to make sure you know what you're buying. For example, a few people bought the car with the assumption that it has Lane Centering, which it does not. Some others find the seats uncomfortable (largely dependent on they way your body is built).

Last edited:
I've had my 2019 CX-9 since February of this year and I'm almost up to 25k miles. No problems yet. We've taken it camping, and drove it to DC, NJ, MN from WI and a few times. It's been a great car, super comfortable and reliable (so far). The only issue I've had is a dead battery but that's due to my own fault: dashcam in parking mode at the airport for seven days plus below freezing temps and the battery voltage dropped.

With regards to 2019 vs 2020, I think the 2019s are the way to go specially now that Mazda will probably offer huge incentives to get them off the lot for the 2020s. The updates on the 2020 models just do not do it for me (although I'd love to have the Auto-Hold feature).

As far as issues, one of the complaints about the CX-9s are the seats. Make sure that you spend a lot of time playing with it on your test drives. My personal experience with them has been great.

The only things I'd be worried about are the captain's chairs on the Signature model, if they happen to operate the same way that they do in Japan's CX-8.

Thanks sm1ke, There no dealer near me but I'll be in Florida after the holidays and will be going to see/drive one, will be sure to make a long test drive and check out the features. Can you give details on your comment about the captain chairs? I'd rather have a bench seat but if I end up buying a car off the lot, well, you know how that goes.

Thanks azuzu,
I have auto hold on my car now, which is an automatic, and never use the auto hold feature. I just don't see the need when you have an automatic and if you are on a very steep grade at a stop light/sign and some bozo is inches from your rear bumper, I just put my left foot on the brake when taking off. You're the second one to mention the seats on the CX9, thanks for that cause I'd be using it mainly for long trips.

Thanks azuzu,
I have auto hold on my car now, which is an automatic, and never use the auto hold feature. I just don't see the need when you have an automatic and if you are on a very steep grade at a stop light/sign and some bozo is inches from your rear bumper, I just put my left foot on the brake when taking off. You're the second one to mention the seats on the CX9, thanks for that cause I'd be using it mainly for long trips.

Pretty sure my 2018 CX-9 has autohold. I think mazda calls it Hill launch assist and it is standard on canadian models. There is no button for it, it just turns on automatically. This is not the first time i see a lack of autohold mentionned so i am a but puzzled by it. Seats are contentious, i love mine and i am a similar size and shape as others here who hates theirs. Give them a long try to figure it out for yourself. Apparently some 2020 trims will only be coming with captain chairs in the second row. In my opinion the CX-9 is a bit too small to take advantages of Captain chairs and I would recommend the traditional bench seat instead. If i would be buying now, I would also go for a discounted 2019. The 2020 changes are incremental improvement, but to me not necessary.

Pretty sure my 2018 CX-9 has autohold. I think mazda calls it Hill launch assist and it is standard on canadian models. There is no button for it, it just turns on automatically.

+1. The car just seems to hold position on an uphill slope without my doing anything. If it is really steep I set the parking brake. It snaps off as soon as I move the throttle pedal.

+1. The car just seems to hold position on an uphill slope without my doing anything. If it is really steep I set the parking brake. It snaps off as soon as I move the throttle pedal.

Mine will move backward after few seconds if I take my foot off the brake. is the Autohold feature on canadian cars?

Thanks sm1ke, There no dealer near me but I'll be in Florida after the holidays and will be going to see/drive one, will be sure to make a long test drive and check out the features. Can you give details on your comment about the captain chairs? I'd rather have a bench seat but if I end up buying a car off the lot, well, you know how that goes.

Sure thing. From my understanding, captain's chairs are an option on all trims except the Signature model. On that trim, captain's chairs are standard, and there is no option to get a bench seat. Also on the Signature trim only, the second row gets its own center console, similar to the console between the driver and passenger seat. Because this console is fixed, the only way to access the third row is by folding one of the captain's chairs forward, just like how you'd fold the bench seat forward. However, on Japan's CX-8, there is no manual lever to fold the seat forward - instead there are buttons that you press, which electronically fold the seat forward and backward. The issue is that it takes a little longer than it should to fold forward and backward. It seems like such a minor thing, but if I used the third row often, it's enough to bother me. Here's a video of the operation on the CX-8 in Japan (skip to the 5 minute mark).

As far as I know, I think the system for the CX-8 will be the same for the CX-9, but I don't think anyone in the NA market or on these boards has been able to confirm that as fact. For the record, I have seen a Youtube video from a Thai CX-8 that appeared to be a Signature (caturra brown leather, 2nd center console), but had manually operated captain's chairs. I really hope the NA market CX-9 comes with manually operated captain's chairs.

Last edited:
Because this console is fixed, the only way to access the third row is by folding one of the captain's chairs forward, just like how you'd fold the bench seat forward. However, on Japan's CX-8, there is no manual lever to fold the seat forward - instead there are buttons that you press, which electronically fold the seat forward and backward. The issue is that it takes a little longer than it should to fold forward and backward.

Holy crap, can you even image trying to get someone in the third row during a downpour while you're standing outside waiting for the seat to move forward, the person to get in and then moving the seat back??? You'd be totally drenched! Well, I didn't want the captain chairs anyway and if the 2020 CX9 works the same way, I will certain avoid them. Thanks for posting that video - geez!

Nah the Auto Hold is different from Hill Launch Assist. Auto Hold will hold your brakes after you come to a stop even if you remove your foot from the pedal. Then you just have to step on the gas when it's time to go. It's actually sort of built in already with the CX-9. Once you come to a complete stop, engage the parking brake and take your foot off the pedal. Then once you press the gas pedal the parking brake disengages automatically. It is the exact same thing when you see the HOLD light in the dash when you are using radar cruise control and it comes to a stop.

EDIT:

Okay, I'm confused as to if the US is getting powered 2nd row or not. Video below shows a 2020 Signature and it's still the same manual operation. Skip to around 16:25 to see him move the 2nd row seats. Do note that this is a dealership in Canada so it might just be the Canadian trim? I doubt that though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6W7JHLw6oI

Last edited:
Holy crap, can you even image trying to get someone in the third row during a downpour while you're standing outside waiting for the seat to move forward, the person to get in and then moving the seat back??? You'd be totally drenched! Well, I didn't want the captain chairs anyway and if the 2020 CX9 works the same way, I will certain avoid them. Thanks for posting that video - geez!

Note that the Signature trim is likely going to be the only trim with the 2nd row center console. The Touring and GT trims will have the pass-through between the captain's chairs if you opt for them. But since you want the bench seat (which I'd prefer as well), you can go GT with bench seat. You'd be missing out on mostly cosmetic stuff like wood trim, ambient lighting and a couple of leather options if you were eyeing a 2020 Signature.

Back