CX-5 2019 Signature Off-road build

:
CX5
Just sharing my build :

1.5 inch lift
Offroad tire BFG TA KO2 255/55r18
Wheel : TSW chapelle +40m 18x8.5

No rubbing. Road noise coming from the tires did increase but it's not intrusive or annoying. I notice CX5 has a very effective noise insulation because though I can hear the increased noise, it's still pretty quiet as I can still listen to music with perfect clarity. It's like the insulation is just blocking a particular range of frequencies that actually make hearing music, having conversation, etc difficult.

Handling : surprisingly improves a lot. I can't describe it better than by saying that it feels like closer to driving a sedan. Prior to having these tires, I had 235/55r19 geolandar g015 AT on stock wheels 19x7J and it felt springy and mushy when cornering. And at first I thought that downsizing the wheel to 18 inch and having a greater side wall coming from the 255/55r18 would have a more negative impact on the handling but it turned out to be quite the opposite because of the very sturdy sidewall of the BFGs

Attachments

• Photo Jun 13, 4 02 00 PM.jpg
    Photo Jun 13, 4 02 00 PM.jpg
    310.7 KB · Views: 3,146
  • Photo Jun 13, 4 02 05 PM.jpg
    Photo Jun 13, 4 02 05 PM.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 1,861
  • Photo Jun 13, 4 02 26 PM.jpg
    Photo Jun 13, 4 02 26 PM.jpg
    304.7 KB · Views: 1,821
  • Photo Jun 13, 4 02 39 PM.jpg
    Photo Jun 13, 4 02 39 PM.jpg
    350.1 KB · Views: 1,626
  • Photo Jun 13, 4 03 17 PM.jpg
    Photo Jun 13, 4 03 17 PM.jpg
    347.9 KB · Views: 1,578
  • Photo Jun 13, 4 03 33 PM.jpg
    Photo Jun 13, 4 03 33 PM.jpg
    329 KB · Views: 1,492
  • Photo Jun 13, 4 04 58 PM.jpg
    Photo Jun 13, 4 04 58 PM.jpg
    334.2 KB · Views: 1,535
  • Photo Jun 13, 4 05 03 PM.jpg
    Photo Jun 13, 4 05 03 PM.jpg
    355.8 KB · Views: 2,064
  • Photo Jun 13, 4 06 11 PM.jpg
    Photo Jun 13, 4 06 11 PM.jpg
    346.7 KB · Views: 1,740
  • Photo Jun 13, 5 26 19 PM.jpg
    Photo Jun 13, 5 26 19 PM.jpg
    381.6 KB · Views: 2,037
Considering where I live, I will consider a tire like this is a couple of years when it's time to upgrade. Thanks for the report on fit and noise.

This is different, and I dig it. Nice bonus regarding the upgrade in handling!

very cool look. Have you try full droop to see any issue with your axles? Also some Rally Armor mudflaps, roof rack w/ a full spare some tools and maybe a light bar would definitely finish the offroad look.

very cool look. Have you try full droop to see any issue with your axles? Also some Rally Armor mudflaps, roof rack w/ a full spare some tools and maybe a light bar would definitely finish the offroad look.

x2, this is exactly what I would do to complete the look.

Resurrecting this for a question...

Does anyone know if the kits for the 2nd gen (KF) CX-5 also fit the 1st gen (KE)? I'm asking because I'm also interested in this same kit and am finding some conflicting information.

tema4x4 on ebay has a 40mm kit WITHOUT shock extenders they claim works for CX-5 11-17 (but says KE)
Then they have a 40mm kit WITH shock extenders they claim works for 16-present (but says KF)
They don't have 40mm extenders, but they do have 30mm for sale, but again, say its only for 16-present (and says KF)

But then risingtuning has the same looking kit WITH shock extenders, that they say works for 11-present (says both KE and KF), however they don't have any available for sale anymore.

So I'm thinking all kits might actually work with all models, as the no longer available kit from risingtuning was advertising....but I am hoping someone here knows before I potentially waste my money buying from tema4x4. Help!?!

For the suspension lift, both front and back have to be the same for example 40mm. For shock extender, it can be slightly lower like 30mm and it should be fine. However, you don't want to go without shock extender. Your shock will be damaged during up travel if you go over bumps.

Resurrecting this for a question...

Does anyone know if the kits for the 2nd gen (KF) CX-5 also fit the 1st gen (KE)? I'm asking because I'm also interested in this same kit and am finding some conflicting information.

tema4x4 on ebay has a 40mm kit WITHOUT shock extenders they claim works for CX-5 11-17 (but says KE)
Then they have a 40mm kit WITH shock extenders they claim works for 16-present (but says KF)
They don't have 40mm extenders, but they do have 30mm for sale, but again, say its only for 16-present (and says KF)

But then risingtuning has the same looking kit WITH shock extenders, that they say works for 11-present (says both KE and KF), however they don't have any available for sale anymore.

So I'm thinking all kits might actually work with all models, as the no longer available kit from risingtuning was advertising....but I am hoping someone here knows before I potentially waste my money buying from tema4x4. Help!?!
I'm not sure about previous model. But I feel both generations have same structure

For the suspension lift, both front and back have to be the same for example 40mm. For shock extender, it can be slightly lower like 30mm and it should be fine. However, you don't want to go without shock extender. Your shock will be damaged during up travel if you go over bumps.

Thanks. I was never planning on doing a different amount between front and rear. And I also wasn't planning on not using shock extenders. I just hope someone knows if the two models' parts are interchangeable or not since I would like to purchase the complete kit, but it only says it fits the later model.

Thanks for sharing, @ancolx (somehow missed this thread before).

I'm putting together something similar.

Skid plate: Corksport (installed)
Wheels: Rays Gram Light 57DR +35 19x8.5 (back ordered)
Tires: Falken Wildpeak A/T Trail 235/55-19 (in hand, awaiting wheels)

Your 255 tread width looks great. I didn't want to add the +4lbs, but hopefully my +5 offset will help the look.

Have you added anything else yet? I'm still considering:

Basket: Thule Trail XT M (I've the Mazda cross bars)
Driving lights: Cyclops Long-Range Extreme (behind grille)
Lift: H&R Adventure springs (not yet available)

Thanks for sharing @ancolx! Did you have any issues with alignment after the lift? I'm assuming the alignment specs remain the same? I have a "lifetime alignment" plan with Firestone. I'm thinking of installing this kit and taking my CX-5 for alignment at Firestone.

I'm debating between 40mm for $178 from https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned) or 35mm for $153 from rising tuning.

@taba2 I just installed some FALKEN WILDPEAK A/T 225/55R-19 on factory wheels this week. They look good and feel great. I got 33K miles from the stock Toyo A36.

Attachments

• Wildpeak Tires.JPG
    Wildpeak Tires.JPG
    313.3 KB · Views: 454

Your 255 tread width looks great. I didn't want to add the +4lbs, but hopefully my +5 offset will help the look.

@taba2 Did you get to install the tires? I’m wondering what kind of effect would the 235/55 tires give over the stock ones.

Nope, still waiting on my wheels (new ETA the end of this month).

But do expect a significant improvement in handling (width, sidewall, support).

I'm debating between 40mm for $178 from https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned) or 35mm for $153 from rising tuning.

I was going back and forth debating this exact thing and ended up buying the 35mm kit from rising tuning. If you put the items in your cart and then don't buy, the next day (or maybe after 2) they'll send you a link for $10 off. I got the kit for $138 shipped to my door. While not a huge difference in price between the two, it's only a 5mm difference, or 0.2 inches. That's a smaller difference than new vs bald tires would make, or low vs high air pressure. I don't think I'll ever notice the difference.

I placed my order on March 10th and just got an email notification from USPS that I have a package from Russia coming this Thursday. 3 weeks from purchase to deliver isn't bad at all!

And I'm riding on 245/65/17 AT tires. Probably had another 0.5" to 0.7" of clearance between the front tire and the bottom of the strut when they were new, in case anyone is trying to upsize even more.

Last edited:
Hi
Thanks. I was never planning on doing a different amount between front and rear. And I also wasn't planning on not using shock extenders. I just hope someone knows if the two models' parts are interchangeable or not since I would like to purchase the complete kit, but it only says it fits the later model.
I have a 2014 cx5. The second gen kit works. The only mod I had to do for the shock extenders was drilling the hole in the shock mount slightly bigger (1/2” bit) to fit the larger nuts to reattach.

I want to do something very similar to what you are doing. I have no clue about lifting my car up so I was wondering why you are waiting on H&R Adventure springs? Are springs enough for a 1.5" lift? Should you do anything else to your car to insure it doesn't get screwed from the lift?

Back