CX-9 vs. MDX

Back to the comments about the doors on the MDX... It's the exact opposite with me. The MDX doors feels kinda cheap evident in the way is sounds when you close it. Also, the door panels feels a bit "loose" to the touch. Aside from that, the price difference alone allows me to mod a CX-9 to drive circles around the MDX. As for kids and leather seats, I have 4 little ones. Leather seats are the way to go. Easy to clean up vs. cloth seats.

Then, again, as I said before, money buys luxury, safety and convenience.
You got to get richer people something to show off to their friends.

Hey, Ceric -- as much as I'll hate myself in the morning for this, I gotta agree nearly 100% with SportOwner on this one.

I'll add two things: 1. You're right that "money buys luxury, safety and convenience." Seems to me the money you spend for a Mazda buys a heck of a lot of all three. Sure, you can spend a lot more, but you'll only get a little bit more -- and in some cases, actually less, as Sporty points out.

2. Here's a link to an "MDX vs ___" thread in another car forum, by a former MDX driver. It's a very thoughtful, point-by-point deconstruction that you should relate to very well.
http://www.traverseforum.com/index.php?topic=351.msg2189#msg2189

By the way, have you considered the Buick Enclave or even a higher-end Chevy Traverse? They might surprise you (in a good way) if you haven't taken a serious look at them.
I'm not saying they're better than the CX-9, which has won me over. But they're very close, have noticeably more room and handle well for their size (Buick may be too "floaty," -- I've not driven it; slightly better mileage (reg. gas), XM radio standard, and OnStar.

Hey, just remember, "it's all good," and you're not going to go horribly wrong with any of the choices you're considering in this class, my friend!

Maybe I should get a Lexus RX that lifts the other cars and buildings out of the way for me. Or is that fiction?

Isn't that the most ludicrous ad for a car you've seen recently?
I mean, I get the point that you might, <i>just might</i> be able to get around a traffic jam with the nav rerouting feature.
But still, every time I see it, I think, this fantasy is the best they could come up with to sell me a luxury car? My $250 Garmin navi can do that!
I would not have even recalled it was an ad for a Lexus without Sporty's clue.

Maybe luxury cars wouldn't cost so much of each commercial didn't cost 5 million dollars. Volvo's is equally ridiculous. They need to put that much effort into making the cars more functional.

IMHO, the doors on the CX just don't fit or feel as solid as the MDX and you may have read in Consumer Reports that Honda/Acura has one of the highest product satisfaction rates among ALL manufacturers. I haven't had one single issue with my MDX since I got it in October of 2006!

The main reason that I moved from the RX to the MDX was because the ride on the RX was just way too soft for my taste and, even though I had the Performance Package on the RX, the cornering and control feel was still not as good as the MDX.

As you can see from the list of vehicles that I've owned, I rarely keep a car more than 3-4 years and so high resale value or residual is important to me. From my experience (I'd owned five other Mazdas from 87-94), Mazdas just don't keep their value as well as Acura ~ It's obvious that you get what you pay for!

In this new economic environment, no one is immune from the traditional so called "high" resale value. I too have owned a few of hondas an acuras in recent years. Can't say anything negative about the experience or quality. However, I have no regrets for going with Mazda. As evident in the age of globalization, most manufacturers especially ones with US facotories, pretty much source all their parts from the same suppliers. Don't be suprised if your Acura uses the some of the same parts found in some domestics.

Consumer Reports didn't ask us about our Honda.

I also don't think having a little more foam in the door cavities is worth another $10k.

I respect My09CX-9's opinion. Actually, I respect his experience more, since it's based on what's he's lived, not read in a book, or heard from someone else.
But I'm not paying much attention to what he says.
This issue only shows how some aspect about a car (or cars) that one person is passionate about just makes another person shrug.

To me, for example, resale value is basically a nonstarter, because I never lease (waste of good money, if you ask me. but you didn't) and I go for longetivity.
The car with the best resale value in three years for you is not always the same car that will last me 10 years/100,000+ miles. By that time, obviously
I'm just happy with whatever value I can get in a trade-in.

I bought my first new car in 1976. It was a Honda Accord (a hatchback - to show you just how far back it was. lol) Including that one, I've had a total of 3 cars* in 33 years. They don't the kid-glove treatment, they get roughed up by my 3 kids. :)
Am about to get my fourth, the CX-9 Sport, and sure hope it holds up as well as my previous steeds, especially since two of the kids are just now turning driving age, God help us all.

*Accord
Subaru
Hyundai

A lot of Mazdas retain a value more important than $$. Look through used car ads and you will almost never see a genuine Mazda truck (not the Ranger re-badge) for sale. Owners simply don't give them up. Not many in salvage yards, either. Bulletproof. So far the CX9 has been a great reliable car. Time will tell.

I'm a fan of keeping a car for a while. We had our CR-V for 8 years. Traded it for a CX9 when we could still get decent money for the trade, and because the CX9 was.....well...a CX9.

Getting a new car every other year feels like I never own it, and never getitng away from payments is tiresome. Our CR-V was paid off half the time we had it, and my Mazda truck has always been. Can't beat a clear title for good resale value.

I'm the opposite of several of you. My wife and I like new vehicles every 2-3 years, so we have leased quite a few vehicles (our CX-9 is leased). Leasing works for us because of this.

We have purchased/leased over 20 new vehicles over the last 20 years, plus some used ones.

We got the AWD CX9 due to the amount of snow we get in Washington and the fact that they do not plow the roads. It is awesome in the snow with the stock tires. We've only had one problem, that was with the throttle body which the dealer replaced under warranty. It's my wife's daily driver, geat on long drives, lots of room with the third row down and rattle free which I can't say about my MS3.

We got the AWD CX9 due to the amount of snow we get in Washington and the fact that they do not plow the roads. It is awesome in the snow with the stock tires. ... It's my wife's daily driver, geat on long drives, lots of room with the third row down and rattle free which I can't say about my MS3.

Hey, 4M -- that's great to hear on all counts.
Although, I'm wondering by now how people with the same vehicles and same tires can have such vastly different experiences. (scratch) Everything from "great and awesome" to "they scare me to death!"

He said snow, not ice. The horror stories are mainly for ice traction. Our roads are almost always plowed, leaving an inch of bare ice. Yikes!

His Duelers are probably also new, and haven't lost that initial grip yet. My Duelers wouldn't even grab dry pavement with 20-25K on them.

I bet he'd see a huge difference if he put better tires on, though.

Last edited:
We did have a lot of ice this last winter also which is indeed a bigger problem. I'm not saying the Duelers are great but they did get us through safely including areas where homes and been snowed in for days and could not get out. They had ~15k on them at the time. I have no complaints and everyone has different driving habits but when it comes to replacing them it will be Toyo's.

CX9 SportOwner
In my area of the country the Les Schwab tires stores dominate and they sell Toyo's. Their service is outstanding and all the Toyo's I've used have performed well. I looked at the Yokohama you mentioned and they look good also after reading the reviews. Thanks for the recommendation. I haven't seen any reviews for the Toyo Proxes ST II which is what I would also consider. Fortunately, we probably have 15 to 20K to go before I have to make that decision. I'll look at them real carefully prior to this next winter for remaining thread.

MDX hands down. I have had very extensive experience with teh very first gen ('01), the updated model ('04), and the newest body style ('08 Sport). The MDX is by far the best in its class on the market especially the newest model in the Sport trim. The auto dampening suspension works flawlessly, the transmission is brilliantly controlled, the engine is powerful and sounds great, fit and finish is more than perfect, and c'mon...it's an Acura. You're really gonna try to beat an Acura?

Back