CX-9 vs Competitors

So, having purchased a CX-9 few days ago. I've went through this process. In my case, the smaller size of the CX-9 was NOT a major factor and hence it won out.

My list contained Hyundai Palisades, Kia Telluraide, Toyo Highlander, Honda Pilot, VW Atlast. My list of absolute requirements were Overall comfort, reliability, AWD and 3 rows. I also wanted captain seats, but that was optional in my mind knowing that this is only available at higher expensive trims usually.

First the Palisades and Telluride despite the 10 year warranty was taken off the list because I just don't think they will be reliable in a longer run (i.e after 10 years). I keep my cars longer than 10 years typically, I was fearful of major component issues after 10 years. Atlast also was taken off the list for reliability concerns and cost to maintain.

'21 Highlander was nice enough. I actually bought the CX-9 to replace the leased '18 HL which I a returning in a week. I test drove it and I felt that it really didn't drive that nice (Not Smooth). I can hear the wind noise and the overall noise level I thought was high too. Engine was good, but just mediocre. It also wasn't a good handling SUV either.

Pilot was one of the best of the bunch. It drove smooth and was very quiet. It also had extra bit of room compared to others. The only 2 things I didn't like was that over all design and the seats. Seats weren't comfortable for me. I felt like I was sitting on top of a round pillow. I'm not sure if I even have to explain the design. It's just functional, but pedestrian. It is a great car tho. The Pilot remained on the list up till the end.

I ended up driving the Cx9 last. I really love how it drove. It's bit lounder, but it had pleasant pleasing notes that inspired a sport car. Interior was bit more cozy. Unlike the Pilot, which had a very open cabin, CX9 has a enclosed feel to it, which I found pleasant. I started looking into options vs price between Pilot and CX9 and found that I can get the options I wanted at a cheaper price on a CX9.

So in the end I bought the CX9. What really sold me were:
-Sporty handling.
-Relatively quiet cabin.
-Well designed interior that is surrounds you and is cozy.
-Build quality/reliability (Being #1 reliablity for 2020 helped, I have to admit) Also, if you didn't know this. CX9 is still built in Japan, which I prefer.
-And lastly the quencher was the availability to get captain chairs at Touring (w/ premier package) level.

To me the CX9 is the beautiful Thoroughbred of the SUV. It looks good, is fast and comfortable. I'm really enjoying the car. It's a beautiful highway cruiser too.

Lastly....just want to bring some attention to one thing I don't like about CX9. The infotaiment system is not the easiest to use. You have to operate it with that knob/button cluster in the center console and so far it's proving to be a bit of a challenge. I'm an IT guy, so I'll get used to it and be able to use it's capability 100% soon. But, the system might be overwhelming for a lay man/wife.

Cheers, hope you make a choice you'll be happy with.

ken.
Ken,
Your posting provided some really good input. I'm pleased you are happy with your new CX9, and I hope it continues to serve you well. To your points:
1. Sporty handling - this is high on my list
2. Relatively quiet cabin - makes long trips more enjoyable, so I like
3. Well designed interior, surrounds you, cozy - Cozy is good, don't need extra room that is wasted, my wife and I are average size people, so we don't super-sized things
4. Build quality/reliability (Being #1 reliablity, made in Japan) - important to me too
5. Captain chairs at Touring (w/ premier package) - I prefer a bench, probably folded down much of the time anyway.

Your last point about the Infortainment center being confusing or challenging to use is a non issue for me. My wife's Audi has a weird Infortainment center and makes absolute no sense. It is so counter-intuitive even Houdini couldn't use it. So the good news you really don't need to use it to drive the car, so we don't. The one in our 8 yer old Equinox is super easy to use ... so go figure.

Thank for such a great post. Poppy D

This is why I mentioned the CPO/Certified option. You can easily find a well loaded 2017+ Q7 3.0T for your budget. It may be worth a test drive before you pull the trigger on the new CX-9. I have both SUVs on my driveway and they both have some important pros/cons.
Thank you for the suggestion. I'll see what the local Audi dealer has in inventory for certified Q7s.

Just bought a ‘21 CX-9 Signature. It’s awesome!

I was sold with the size of the car. It seats 4 adults perfectly, plus some cargo. Perfect for my family. I don’t need a giant SUV, and other crossovers are just too small inside for 2nd row comfort.

When you just need to seat 4 adults, comfortably, no bench seats... the CX-9 takes the cake.

I think the technology inside is premium as well! LOVE the dial/knob interface... best in the class if you ask me. Tired of touchscreens and using them during bumps.

We drove the new ‘21 Santa Fe, Highlander, Venza, RAV4 and probably a few more I don’t remember. The Mazda’s CX-9 really was the best for us.
Interesting that you find the infortainment center easy to use. I agree that using a touch screen, while driving on a bumpy road has to be very difficult. I prefer not to take my eyes off the road. My understanding is some vehicles disable the touch screen while the vehicle is moving ... I don't know if Mazda doess this or not. I have no experience with the CX9 yet, I have scheduled a test drive for Monday. Wish me luck.

Re: your budget, I just bought my CPO'd 2019 Signature for $36k w/ 19k miles on it. So, I would think you should be able to get into a MY2020 or maybe even a MY2021 within your budget....depending on what trim you're looking for.

-Tim
That's what I was thinking. We visit the dealer for a test drive on Monday morning, so we'll find out then ... weather permitting that is.

AWD: I have Blizzak winter tires on my 2016 CX9. I've been in some deep snow (Fernie, B.C. & Whitefish, Montana, great ski trips), and really slippery snow (White Pass, WA). The car has done exactly what I wanted with no drama. The steering felt completely neutral. I can't imagine what a "better" system would feel like.

Cold start: It is better in a couple of ways to have an electric engine heater installed than to use a remote start. The pre-heated engine will get heat into the cabin in just a few minutes. The car will use less gas and put out much less exhaust contaminants. The exhaust is the most foul when the engine is cold.
I agree, on both points, but especially the electric block heater. When I lived in Northern New York, almost everybody had them, except me of course. Do you know that is a dealer option or should I look for an aftermarket unit. I would find it useful for most of the winter months.

Ken,
Your posting provided some really good input. I'm pleased you are happy with your new CX9, and I hope it continues to serve you well. To your points:
1. Sporty handling - this is high on my list
2. Relatively quiet cabin - makes long trips more enjoyable, so I like
3. Well designed interior, surrounds you, cozy - Cozy is good, don't need extra room that is wasted, my wife and I are average size people, so we don't super-sized things
4. Build quality/reliability (Being #1 reliablity, made in Japan) - important to me too
5. Captain chairs at Touring (w/ premier package) - I prefer a bench, probably folded down much of the time anyway.

Your last point about the Infortainment center being confusing or challenging to use is a non issue for me. My wife's Audi has a weird Infortainment center and makes absolute no sense. It is so counter-intuitive even Houdini couldn't use it. So the good news you really don't need to use it to drive the car, so we don't. The one in our 8 yer old Equinox is super easy to use ... so go figure.

Thank for such a great post. Poppy D
Ken,
I forgot to mention that I have the same concerns about the Kia/Hyundai twins. I've never driven them, but sat in them at the auto show before Covid hit. They were not cozy at all, but a nicely appointed big box on wheels. Its hard to imagine that given their design that they would handle very well, but since they are not on my list I'll never know.

I agree, on both points, but especially the electric block heater. When I lived in Northern New York, almost everybody had them, except me of course. Do you know that is a dealer option or should I look for an aftermarket unit. I would find it useful for most of the winter months.

It is a dealer option. Easiest is to negotiate it as part of the purchase and have the dealer install it.

Hey Poppy-

For what it's worth, I'm down in Central New Jersey and just bought my new-to-me 2019 Signature (CPO) back in October. I've been researching a replacement car for close to 3 years, and the reason I bought a CX-9 was mostly because I wasn't able to find anything that met my specific needs better, and I wasn't able to find any significant faults with it after 3 years of scouring the internet, including enthusiast-owner groups. It definitely helps that this basic platform (minus a few of the newer bells 'n whistles) has been around since MY2016 and has proven to be pretty solid. I tend to keep my cars for at least 10+ years, so I need something reliable.

Also for what it's worth, I really like the members in this group, too, and really haven't run across any information in this thread with which I would disagree, and would add the following commentary from my owner's experience to date:

Points 4 & 5. My recent experience testing the AWD system was earlier this week where we **finally** got some white stuff...about 6". As mentioned before, **tires make all the difference**. The dealer I bought my CX-9 from had just shod it with a brand new set of Nankang All-Seasons (and if you haven't heard of this brand, there's a reason for that....they're low-budget, crap tires) which I insisted be replaced. I wanted to try something different than the Nitto's I've been buying the last 10+ years and went with the new Vredestein Quatrac Pro (*Note: These also one of the few tires that have the true "M+S" rating for winter use). At the time, they were Tirerack.com's #1 rated Grand Touring tire. I'm very "into" tires and cannot say enough good things about the Vredesteins...including their acceleration, cornering, stopping in the snow, but I love them in dry/wet conditions, too. I won't belabor all the details, but would be happy to share more info if you'd like.

As for the AWD system itself, my sense is it's a little more advanced than some have described it here...especially starting with MY2019 and up where they did introduce Mazda's version of torque-vectoring which is predominately used to improve handling and reduce understeer, as I understand it. I cannot imagine this system not being more than adequate...even in your neck of the woods. Yes, the latest AWD system found in the Pilot is a little more robust--and with driver-selectable modes, but truth be told...the damn vehicle handles like a truck. Same with the current-gen Highlander, from my research anyway.

Point 6: Funny thing, I never knew mine even had factory remote start until I was carrying in a load of firewood last week, and must've inadvertently pushed on the "lock" button a few times (the key was in my pocket)...only to go back outside for another load, and find my CX-9 idling away. Who knew? Anyway, I'm personally not a huge fan of using remote start because every auto manufacturer I've run across recommends not letting your car idle at startup for a long time because the excess fuel tends to damage the catalytic converter, among other things (however, I do recognize others live in significantly colder conditions than NJ is these days, where using this feature might be worthwhile)

Point 7: It took me a little while to get used to tech for the audio/navigation (everything else couldn't be easier) but I attributed that mostly because I'm new to Android Auto. Once you've got that figured out, it's a pretty slick system, IMO.

Point 8: I've been driving an old Infiniti with a RWD-biased AWD system for the last decade, so I'm extra-sensitive to torque steer from FWD. In my experience, unless you're standing on the gas from a dead stop, the torque steer in these cars is pretty minimal (and even if you do, it's not like the wheel will be torn from of your hands). In 95% of FWD vehicles, it's just the nature of the beast and if you're alright with all the other handling "attributes" of FWD, I think Mazda does a pretty good job of keeping it well-controlled.

Point 13: I wonder if the "Zoom-zoom" factor wasn't mentioned because--among Mazda owners anyway--its just something that's implied - lol. This is my first Mazda, and I can tell you these cars are great fun to drive, and very engaging...not unlike how BMW used to be back in the ol' days. Mazda does a great job of not insulating you from the driving experience, but making you part of it. The acceleration is great...especially for a 4-banger, the steering makes the CX-9 feel/handle like a much smaller, lighter car and the brakes do a great job of adding to that sporty feel. Although I don't think this wasn't mentioned, I will say the gas mileage figures are also pretty close to their ratings in my experience. Use a steady foot and and keep it below 80 on the highway, you'll see 25-26 MPG. Around town with some highway (and with the damn "winter" aka oxygenated fuel), I'm getting 22'ish.

Anyway, sorry for the long reply...but as someone who was literally just in your shoes a few months ago (and after agonizing over the decision for a long time), I'm hoping some of my nonsensical ramblings might be of some help to you.

Best luck in your decision, Poppy D......!

Best,
Tim G. in Central NJ
'19 CX-9 Sig
Tim, you are the man! But you probably hear that all the time. Thank you for your thoughtful and detailed response and by the way, no need to apologize for great input. I'm glad I'm not the only one agonizing over this decision. It isn't easy dropping $40k+ on a vehicle. I'm a sponge and I'm soaking up all the good feedback. I love to hear more about member's CX9 experiences. Based on input from the members of this forum, I am planning to meet one of our local Mazda dealers for a test drive Monday. I was also considering the Highlander as my second choice and appreciate your feedback on it. I my never need to drive it.

You hit on a number of my concerns or at my least thoughts. The infotainment center seems to be the one that is probably my least concern, some members find it confusing and some find it easy to use. But for me, I want to set once then drive the car.

I like your comments about the "zoom, zoom" essentially the way the car handles. This resonates the most with me. I like the way you describe the way your car handles and I want that, too. It was surprising that most members don't use the good handling as a big differentiator. For it still hard to believe and I suppose driving the CX9 will bring it all to reality.

And it is good to know there is a remote start, I will use it alot. Another member mentioned a block heater, which is also a real good idea here in Central New York and maybe in NJ as well.

Thanks again, Poppy D

Just bought a ‘21 CX-9 Signature. It’s awesome!

I was sold with the size of the car. It seats 4 adults perfectly, plus some cargo. Perfect for my family. I don’t need a giant SUV, and other crossovers are just too small inside for 2nd row comfort.

When you just need to seat 4 adults, comfortably, no bench seats... the CX-9 takes the cake.

I think the technology inside is premium as well! LOVE the dial/knob interface... best in the class if you ask me. Tired of touchscreens and using them during bumps.

We drove the new ‘21 Santa Fe, Highlander, Venza, RAV4 and probably a few more I don’t remember. The Mazda’s CX-9 really was the best for us.
Buster1, Congrats on your new 21 Signature. I understand its the top-of-the-line CX9. It looks great in the videos I've seen. You've driven a bunch of nice cars. My understanding is the '21Santa Fe is supposted be a redesigned in the image of the Palisade but just a little smaller and still have 3 rows. What didn't you like about Santa Fe and the Highlander? I think I get why you cut the Venza and RAV4 being 2 row SUVs.
Poppy D

It is a dealer option. Easiest is to negotiate it as part of the purchase and have the dealer install it.
Thanks, that great to know. I will do that by working it into the deal ... they can't be that expensive, right?

Hi all, just caught up on the thread. Here's my 2 cents...

I'm a 3x CX-9 owner - 2011 GT, 2017 GT, 2021 GT.

In terms of driving/handling, it's a joy to drive - very sporty, quite cabin at 70+ MPH. Seats are vey comfy - I drove from Boston to DC straight and never felt fatigue and was able to exit and walk around with sore limbs.

Interior - no much changed since 2017, still looks very modern, lots of soft touch surfaces. I've loved the HUD since 2017.. the new infotainment is improved, with the higher res 10.25" screen - 360 cameras look great, more space for Nav and Music. I use Android Auto so the integration is very good, though I wish I had wireless connectivity. I used the Google hands free for NAV and Voice recognition is very good

However, the built in Nav still has weird routes, and still lags in routing. The screen is no longer touch, and while improved, entering names/text/directions are cumbersome. Also some oddities in the Radio - the steering wheel buttons for Prev and Next track only work in AM/FM or BT Audio - for XM or Favorites, it actually rewinds the current track or goes to the latest point of the track

Build quality and reliability is legit - 2011 I had some issues with the remote starter, leaky trans pan, and some mechanical stuff, but my 2017 had no issues, just regular maintenance. In fact, I traded it in after 45K miles and still had original Falkens, and only change the rear brakes once in 3.5 years

New Mazda Connect is better than the old remote app on the phone - easier to remote start, unlock/lock doors, check fuel remaining, mileage and maintenance intervals. But tire pressure still doesn't have individual tire readings like the CX-5

Never had issues with AWD or tires - very confident in the NE snow - stopping is obviously compromised with the Falkens or Ecopia, so just be aware. Both 2011 and 2017 tires lasted over 40k miles... 2017 did feel more torque steer - I could get the tires to squeal if I accelerated from a dead stop and cut the wheel left or right.. but 2021, they adjusted the algorithm...

Overall I've enjoyed the CX-9 and continue to drive one. Is it perfect? No - I would love a little more cargo room, more HP / Hybrid option, a panoramic roof, but otherwise an excellent vehicle!

Hi all, just caught up on the thread. Here's my 2 cents...

I'm a 3x CX-9 owner - 2011 GT, 2017 GT, 2021 GT.

In terms of driving/handling, it's a joy to drive - very sporty, quite cabin at 70+ MPH. Seats are vey comfy - I drove from Boston to DC straight and never felt fatigue and was able to exit and walk around with sore limbs.

Interior - no much changed since 2017, still looks very modern, lots of soft touch surfaces. I've loved the HUD since 2017.. the new infotainment is improved, with the higher res 10.25" screen - 360 cameras look great, more space for Nav and Music. I use Android Auto so the integration is very good, though I wish I had wireless connectivity. I used the Google hands free for NAV and Voice recognition is very good

However, the built in Nav still has weird routes, and still lags in routing. The screen is no longer touch, and while improved, entering names/text/directions are cumbersome. Also some oddities in the Radio - the steering wheel buttons for Prev and Next track only work in AM/FM or BT Audio - for XM or Favorites, it actually rewinds the current track or goes to the latest point of the track

Build quality and reliability is legit - 2011 I had some issues with the remote starter, leaky trans pan, and some mechanical stuff, but my 2017 had no issues, just regular maintenance. In fact, I traded it in after 45K miles and still had original Falkens, and only change the rear brakes once in 3.5 years

New Mazda Connect is better than the old remote app on the phone - easier to remote start, unlock/lock doors, check fuel remaining, mileage and maintenance intervals. But tire pressure still doesn't have individual tire readings like the CX-5

Never had issues with AWD or tires - very confident in the NE snow - stopping is obviously compromised with the Falkens or Ecopia, so just be aware. Both 2011 and 2017 tires lasted over 40k miles... 2017 did feel more torque steer - I could get the tires to squeal if I accelerated from a dead stop and cut the wheel left or right.. but 2021, they adjusted the algorithm...

Overall I've enjoyed the CX-9 and continue to drive one. Is it perfect? No - I would love a little more cargo room, more HP / Hybrid option, a panoramic roof, but otherwise an excellent vehicle!
Hi Tiggs, very good to hear from a three time CX9 owner. That statement just by itself is impressive. You covered some points that were important to me.
1. comfort - your trip from Boston to DC and it was comfortable ride. Its got to be over 6 hours. I'd be interested in learning the range (miles between fillups.) It would be very impressive it was just one tank fill. I plan to drive from Syracuse to Boston very oftem so good to know.
2. Reliability - I'm wondering if your 2011 reliability issues were the result of the joint Ford/Mazda venture, if so it looks like those issues are behind us.
3. Mazda Direct - probably not as high on my list as others, but interesting that the tire pressure indicator may tell you that one of the tires is low but won't tell you which one ... same as my wife's Audi ... so I can live with that.
4. 2021- sounds like Mazda has made incemental improvents over the years and you've witnessed these improvements in reliability and functionality. Sounds to me that the 21 is very stable and very reliable.

You said no car is perfect ... ain't that the truth. but I can live with that. Wish me luck on Monday for my first text drive. I hope the sale people has plenty of time, 'cause Poppy D is showing up armed.

Thank you.

Thanks, that great to know. I will do that by working it into the deal ... they can't be that expensive, right?
In canadian dollars, it is 416 dollar part and installation. so probably about 300$ US.

In canadian dollars, it is 416 dollar part and installation. so probably about 300$ US.

Youri,
Thank you ... I'm going to discuss the block heater during the sales process. I'm hoping they have them in stock. I don't see many around here, but when I lived in northern New York nearly car had them, it wasn't unual for the temperature to get down to -50F.

Thank you all members for your contributions. Here is an update for all. I have an appointment with one of the local Mazda dealers this Monday. As luck with have it, they have exactly the color and trim with the options I want, plus a few I don't need.

Hopefully, they will want to make me a deal I can't refuse. Here is a list from the window sticker. Sorry about the all Caps but that's how Mazda printed it on the sticker.

Standard Features

Safety & Security:
60MO/60K MI POWERTRAIN & 36MO/
36K MI BUMPER-TO-BUMPER WARRANTY
24-HOUR ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE
3-POINT SAFETY BELTS FOR ALL SEATING POSITIONS
LATCH CHILD SAFETY SEAT ANCHORS
ANTI-THEFT ENGINE IMMOBILIZER
TIRE PRESSURE MONITORING SYSTEM
BLIND SPOT MONITORING
LANE DEPARTURE WARNING SYSTEM
LANE KEEP ASSIST
REAR CROSS TRAFFIC ALERT
FRONT & REAR PARKING SENSORS
ABS WITH EBD AND BRAKE-ASSIST
DYNAMIC STABILITY CONTROL
TRACTION CONTROL SYSTEM
TRAILER STABILITY CONTROL
ADVANCED DUAL FRONT AIRBAGS
FRONT SIDE-IMPACT AIR BAGS
SIDE AIR CURTAINS
SMART BRAKE SUPPORT
ADVANCED SMART CITY BRAKE SUPPORT
SMART CITY BRAKE SUPPORT REVERSE
MAZDA RADAR CRUISE CONTROL WITH STOP & GO
360 DEGREE VIEW MONITOR

Interior:
LEATHER-TRIMMED SEATS (1ST &
2ND-ROW SEATING POSITIONS)
8-WAY POWER DRIVER'S SEAT W/POWER LUMBAR SUPPORT
DRIVER SEAT MEMORY W/ 2 POSITIONS
6-WAY POWER FRONT PASSENGER SEAT
HEATED AND VENTILATED FRONT SEATS
2ND ROW HEATED SEATS
TILT/TELESCOPIC LEATHER STEERING WHEEL W/ AUDIO & CRUISE CONTROLS
HEATED STEERING WHEEL
PADDLE SHIFTERS
3-ZONE AUTOMATIC CLIMATE CONTROL
REARVIEW CAMERA
MAZDA ADVANCED KEYLESS ENTRY
10.25" COLOR CENTER DISPLAY
ACTIVE DRIVING DISPLAY WITH TRAFFIC SIGN RECOGNITION
MAZDA NAVIGATION SYSTEM
DRIVER ATTENTION ALERT
WIRELESS PHONE CHARGER
BOSE AM/FM/HD 12-SPEAKERS
SIRIUSXM< 3 MOS. TRIAL N/A AK&HI
BLUETOOTH HANDS-FREE PHONE/AUDIO
ANDROID AUTOTM CAPABLE
APPLE CARPLAYTM
AUX JACK / 6 USB INPUTS
AUTO-DIM R/VIEW MIRROR W/HOMELINK
2ND-ROW WINDOW SUNSHADES
MAZDA CONNECTED SERVICES CAPABLE

Exterior:
20-INCH ALLOY WHEELS
255/50R20 ALL-SEASON TIRES
RAIN-SENSING WINDSHIELD WIPERS
FIXED-INTERMITTENT REAR WIPER
WINDSHIELD WIPER DE-ICER
HEATED POWER MIRRORS W/TURN LAMPS
AUTO FOLD DOOR MIRRORS
REAR PRIVACY GLASS
HANDS-FREE POWER REAR LIFTGATE
POWER MOONROOF
LED HEADLIGHTS W/ AUTO ON/OFF
LED FOG LIGHTS
LED DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS
LED COMBINATION TAILLIGHTS
HIGH BEAM CONTROL
ADAPTIVE FRONT-LIGHTING SYSTEM
BODY-COLORED REAR ROOF SPOILER
ROOF MOUNTED SHARK FIN ANTENNA
ALUMINUM ROOF RAILS
BRIGHT FINISH EXHAUST OUTLETS

Engine & Mechanical:
SKYACTIV-G 2.5 TURBO ENGINE
SKYACTIV-DRIVE 6SPD SPORT MODE AT
227 HORSEPOWER; 310 LB-FT TORQUE
I-ACTIV ALL-WHEEL DRIVE
50 STATE EMISSIONS
4-WHEEL DISC BRAKES
ELECTRIC POWER ASSISTED STEERING
INDEPENDENT FRONT/REAR SUSPENSION
FRONT & REAR STABILIZER BARS
G-VECTORING CONTROL PLUS

Buster1, Congrats on your new 21 Signature. I understand its the top-of-the-line CX9. It looks great in the videos I've seen. You've driven a bunch of nice cars. My understanding is the '21Santa Fe is supposted be a redesigned in the image of the Palisade but just a little smaller and still have 3 rows. What didn't you like about Santa Fe and the Highlander? I think I get why you cut the Venza and RAV4 being 2 row SUVs.
Poppy D
Thanks Poppy D! It is the top trim level and I love it. I came from owning a Tesla Model S for 3 years and I really wanted something that could compare in as many ways possible to the Tesla... and the CX-9 was it. Obviously drive trains are different, but the tech and comfort of the Tesla is unmatched. The CX-9 is just narrowly and slightly less than Tesla in the tech, and that’s saying a lot. No other car builder right now comes close (IMHO). The CX-9 may even have better tech in some areas over the Tesla. (HUD, cameras). And the CX-9 is certainly more comfortable than the Tesla with its seats and ride. I’m still super impressed with the new Mazdas.

So about the other contenders.

The ‘21 Santa Fe was my top choice, for months. I’ve been waiting and researching and reading about it for months now. We drove a SEL trim with a few packages and it was really great. I was waiting for a Limited trim or even the Calligraphy trim. Hyundai really has their cars figured out right now, as you may know. They are really good at taking all the best things from other makers and adding them to their cars. Their tech, navs, cameras, etc are top notch.
Don’t laugh, but during my test drives I take along my decibel reading app and we measure how loud the cabins are at 70mph. The Santa Fe was the top (best) of all my drives at 67 dB. (Until we drove the CX-9, we saw 62-67 dB depending on road surface!)
I guess what was holding me back on the Santa Fes was the new look/grill. I was not certain on that, and the 2nd row bench. As well, the Hyundai forums are ripe with small complaints from owners. Even though they have an industry leading warranty, they seem to have lots of qwerky problems and issues. (Bad flashbacks to Tesla). They are also still working on and settling a massive class action lawsuit on their recent engines. The ‘21s have new engines, but I was still leery.

The Highlander is a different story. We liked it, but it immediately got ruled out of the running for the following.
-Loud cabin. We measured 69-70 dB
-2nd row seats are narrow. Don’t fit a woman’s figure. My wife is 125# and runs 4 miles every couple days and the rear seats have hip width issues.
-Front passenger seat is permanently mounted quite high and cannot be lowered, even on top trim level.
-Toyota Nav and screen is still 1990s tech. No joke. It’s horrible.
-It’s as long as a school bus.
-All seats were just not comfortable enough. Maybe we have pampered rear ends, but I’ve still never found a Toyota seat that fits me right or is truly comfortable.

The CX-9 really impresses me. And it’s not just about beating Tesla or comparing to Tesla, it really needed to be techy, peppy, and overall comfortable for 4. With the Signature trim 2nd row captains chairs, and it’s interior quality fit and finish, I was blown away impressed. Nicer and quieter than the Tesla for sure. And driving the car is a dream.

Good luck, I’m anxious to hear how your test drive goes.

EDIT: oh, and the dial/knob ‘command knob’ is outstanding for me. Best in the industry. You can keep your eyes on the road and easily dial and click thru the menus and settings. No need to reach up and get fingerprints on the screen. I really like it.

Last edited:
I hope the sale people has plenty of time, 'cause Poppy D is showing up armed.

Best way to go in! Hope the test drive goes well.

I don't mean to put the cart before the horse, but given that the trim and colour you want is available, it may be worth at least glancing at the CX-9 pricing thread we have here. It should give you some frame of reference for negotiation, and maybe give you a price to aim for. Here's a link.

You know what, you’re right! I didn’t know that. The Highlander just felt really really long. Interesting. The CX-9 feels ‘right.’

The longer wheelbase of the CX-9 may also affect the visual proportions of the car (115.3 on the CX-9 vs. 112.2 on the Highlander). The smaller amount of plastic cladding around the wheel arches on the Highlander also makes the rear bumper look like it protrudes further than it does on the CX-9, at least to my eye.

cx9.JPG

highlander.JPG

Back