CX-9 vs Competitors

:
Pueblo county CO
:
CX-5 Sport 16.5 6M
I use this one in my MDX for when I go camping. Works great for laptop, projector, phones, and string lights; would not recommend hooking a microwave or pressure washer to it like they do in the new F-150 ads ;)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004MDXS0U/?tag=m20b7-20

I installed a 14gauge fused pigtail connected directly to the battery thru the firewall. I keep the pigtail's sae connector in the fuse compartment just to the left of the driver's footwell. I can connect a 110v inverter or a trickle charger directly to the battery without lifting the hood.

An inverter connected to the cigarette lighter jack is limited to 120 watts by the fuse. I have the next size up Bestek (500 watts) and it came with alligator clips for the higher output. I use a cable with the sae connector for a better connection.

Poppy D

2021 CX9 GT
I use this one in my MDX for when I go camping. Works great for laptop, projector, phones, and string lights; would not recommend hooking a microwave or pressure washer to it like they do in the new F-150 ads ;)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004MDXS0U/?tag=m20b7-20
Thank you, I didn't know these existed. What a very cool idea. For $35 its a bargin. I suspect its powerful enough to run a small air compressor. I appreciate the tip. I'm ordering one for each car.

Poppy D

2021 CX9 GT
I guess Mazda got out of the pickup business because they had tariff on Japanese built pups which the big players (Nissan and Toyota) circumvented by building US manufacturing plants.

The Mazda5 "sprtwagon", sort of a sporty, narrow, minivan that the cx9 sort of replaced, was available with MT. So was the Mazda 6.

Fortunately I purchased a '16.5 cx5 with the Skyactive 6MT while they were still available. It's not a miata but it can
carry some lumber and yard supplies.
I like the CX5 also, but just needed something bigger. I am jealous and wish I could get a manual transmission. I say that when I'm on the open road; but get annoyed in heavy traffic where its stop and go.

Too bad Mazda is so small ... I'd love it if they made a small pickup here.

:
2021 CX-9 GT
Zonks:
1. No struts to hold the hood open - albeit don't open the hood often
2. Can't get the wireless charging station to work, might be our phones
3. Push botton fan speed, what's wrong with knobs?
4. No 110 volt AC outlet - I want one of these
5. Awkward to get the rear seats to lie flat

Great feedback. Thanks for sharing.

A few comments you might find helpful.
1. I just received aftermarket hood struts in the mail. They bolt to existing points on the hood and just inside the fenders….no drilling. Supposedly will install in 15 minutes. I’ll take pics and report back.

2. I have an iPhone. Getting it to charge was 50/50.… until I started to orient the phone on the charge pad in a certain way. Set the phone on the lip, face up, with the top of the phone snug again the cubby wall closest to the driver. Engages every time. FYI … I didn’t realize the indicator on the dash shows the the lightning bolt in the phone icon. Takes the guess work out of knowing if it’s charging or not.

5. Folding the seats flat should be pretty effortless. The third row plops down quickly. I have the 2nd row captain chairs. Fully pulling up on the lever *next to the bottom seat cushion* drops them flat every time. I think its the same for the bench seats. I’ve read that some people thought the lever on top of the seat backs would fold them flat. They’re only meant to tilt it for rear access.

Last edited:

Poppy D

2021 CX9 GT
Great feedback. Thanks for sharing.

A few comments you might find helpful.
1. I just received aftermarket hood struts in the mail. The bolt to existing points on the hood and just inside the fenders….no drilling. Supposedly will install in 15 minutes. I’ll take pics and report back.

2. I have an iPhone. Getting it to charge was 50/50.… until I started to orient the phone on the charge pad in a certain way. Set the phone on the lip, face up, with the top of the phone snug again the cubby wall closest to the driver. Engages every time. FYI … I didn’t realize the indicator on the dash shows the the lightning bolt in the phone icon. Takes the guess work out of knowing if it’s charging or not.

5. Folding the seats flat should be pretty effortless. The third row plops down quickly. I have the 2nd row captain chairs. Fully pulling up on the lever *next to the bottom seat cushion* drops then flat every time. I think its the same for the bench seats. I’ve read that some people thought the lever on top of the seat backs would fold them flat. They’re only meant to tilt it for rear access.
Thank you for the tips. I love the aftermarket hood structs that bolt into existing holes idea. If you can pass along the name or a link that would be appreciated. The charging tips are good and I'll try that in the morning to see if I can get it to work. My phone is pretty old so I'm guessing my phone may be the culprit. Pulling up on the lever at the bottom of the seat cushion ... I must not be pulling hard enough.

Anyway, thanks again, as a look at my list it seems that my zonks are just nits, but I thought I'd at least mention them, and I'm glad I did ... got some great feedback.

:
2021 CX-9 GT
I got them on Amazon. They look to be good quality. I’ll be installing them this weekend.

Autobahn88 Hood Lift Support, fits for 2016-2021 Mazda CX-9 Mark2 Skyactiv-G (Matt Black)

Poppy D

2021 CX9 GT
I got them on Amazon. They look to be good quality. I’ll be installing them this weekend.

Autobahn88 Hood Lift Support, fits for 2016-2021 Mazda CX-9 Mark2 Skyactiv-G (Matt Black)

Let us know how the installation goes and if you get a chance attach photos. Good luck with your installation.