CX-9 vs Competitors

I got them on Amazon. They look to be good quality. I’ll be installing them this weekend.

Autobahn88 Hood Lift Support, fits for 2016-2021 Mazda CX-9 Mark2 Skyactiv-G (Matt Black)

I got them on Amazon. They look to be good quality. I’ll be installing them this weekend.

Autobahn88 Hood Lift Support, fits for 2016-2021 Mazda CX-9 Mark2 Skyactiv-G (Matt Black)

Let us know how the installation goes and if you get a chance attach photos. Good luck with your installation.

So here we are one year and 12,000 miles later since we picked up our '21 CX9 GT AWD. It seems to be a good time to give everyone an update on our ownership experience.
We are still very happy with our choice and so far this is the nicest vehicle we've ever owned. Here are some of my thoughts.

We have had no mechanical issues at all, knock on wood, but there has a been one factory recall for a safety problem with the rear bench seat. If you have captain’s chairs this recall doesn’t apply to you. I brought it to the dealer and in they finished the work and washed my car in about an hour. So no big deal. So far this is about all I had to do, well except for an oil change a few month back. We do get considerable snow in Central New York, approx. 130 inches between November and March. While the CX9 handles reasonably well it is no match for our Audi A4. While the CX9 does have very good ground clearance it is prone to wheel slip. It does have the factory tires which don’t help in snow either. But our Audi is equipped with similar tires and yet it has no problems. Get snow tires? Maybe.

My likes and zonks may differ from yours, so please bear with me.

1. Very quiet at highway speeds, no squeaks or rattles
2. Comfortable seats, but I can see that the Signature model has much nicer seats
3. Infotainment is easy to use and fast
4. Paddle shifters are fun and work just fine
5. Auto-Folding side-view mirrors
6. Good handling, not sports car like but good for a big heavy vehicle
7. Doesn't look or feel like a minivan, but doesn’t have the inside room either
8. Heads-up display gives useful information, speed, nav, blind spot warnings
9. Smooth shifting transmission, 6 speeds are plenty, no annoying gear hunting
10. No start/stop
11. City MPG - 23, Highway MPG 27, mileage was better when the car was newer, not sure why MPG has slipped
12. Highway range is about 450 miles, with the needle is very close to E.

Zonks:
1. AWD, adequate, but could be better
2. Still can't get the wireless charging station to work, even with new phones
3. Push button fan speed, can’t turn the fan completely off, and what's wrong with knobs?
4. No 110 volt AC outlet – these would be very useful
5. Phones don’t stay paired, it seems I have to re-pair every time my wife uses the car. Never had to re-pair in an 8 year old Chevy Equinox regardless of who drove the car. So go figure.
6. Mazda Connect not useful, prefer using the FOB, especially for the remote start

Probably like most folks, I use my CX9 like a truck and have hauled furniture, loads of firewood, mulch and stuff most people wouldn't put in their SUVs. My point is the CX9 has great utility. If I could get the CX9 Signature with a bench rear seat, that will be my next vehicle. Bottom line, still love the car and have no regrets. Poppy D

So here we are one year and 12,000 miles later since we picked up our '21 CX9 GT AWD. It seems to be a good time to give everyone an update on our ownership experience.
We are still very happy with our choice and so far this is the nicest vehicle we've ever owned. Here are some of my thoughts.

We have had no mechanical issues at all, knock on wood, but there has a been one factory recall for a safety problem with the rear bench seat. If you have captain’s chairs this recall doesn’t apply to you. I brought it to the dealer and in they finished the work and washed my car in about an hour - Watch yourself with letting dealerships wash your vehicle. Just went through the BBB to get my local dealership to reimburse me for a full paint correction because their guys scratched the entire thing during a poor wash. So no big deal. So far this is about all I had to do, well except for an oil change a few month back. We do get considerable snow in Central New York, approx. 130 inches between November and March. While the CX9 handles reasonably well it is no match for our Audi A4. While the CX9 does have very good ground clearance it is prone to wheel slip. It does have the factory tires which don’t help in snow either. But our Audi is equipped with similar tires and yet it has no problems. Get snow tires? Maybe.

My likes and zonks may differ from yours, so please bear with me. - Sounds like a Raiti's Rides subscriber, haha

1. Very quiet at highway speeds, no squeaks or rattles
2. Comfortable seats, but I can see that the Signature model has much nicer seats - I know everyone is different but nicer doesn't necessarily equate to more comfortable. I have the 2021 Signature and comfort is lacking for me. But I am heftier and have much beefier legs than lots of folks. Just another way to say comfort is subjective, I guess.
3. Infotainment is easy to use and fast
4. Paddle shifters are fun and work just fine
5. Auto-Folding side-view mirrors
6. Good handling, not sports car like but good for a big heavy vehicle
7. Doesn't look or feel like a minivan, but doesn’t have the inside room either
8. Heads-up display gives useful information, speed, nav, blind spot warnings
9. Smooth shifting transmission, 6 speeds are plenty, no annoying gear hunting
10. No start/stop
11. City MPG - 23, Highway MPG 27, mileage was better when the car was newer, not sure why MPG has slipped - That's really good mileage. I'm at 5500 miles and I don't think I have ever gotten 27 mpg. I've really only been on one good road trip of about 400 or so miles each way and I may be a little more lead footed when on the highway.
12. Highway range is about 450 miles, with the needle is very close to E.

Zonks:
1. AWD, adequate, but could be better
2. Still can't get the wireless charging station to work, even with new phones - Not only do they not work great but their location is in a terrible spot at an awkward angle. I really feel like they could integrate them into the dash somehow without it looking terrible and still make it non slip too.
3. Push button fan speed, can’t turn the fan completely off, and what's wrong with knobs? - The AC/Heat controls are my biggest peeve with this vehicle. so that says something about it if this is my biggest gripe. But I'm with you. I think knobs for the the fan speed with up/down temp controls in the center of the knobs would work best. As it stands you have to reach around the shifter awkwardly to adjust fan speed and it really annoys me. Also wish there were rear AC controls in the front. Our daughter is 5 and in a car seat and if she's hot or cold my wife has to lean back and adjust her fan and temp that way. The 2020 Highlander had the right setup for HVAC. That's the only thing I miss about that vehicle.
4. No 110 volt AC outlet – these would be very useful
5. Phones don’t stay paired, it seems I have to re-pair every time my wife uses the car. Never had to re-pair in an 8 year old Chevy Equinox regardless of who drove the car. So go figure.
6. Mazda Connect not useful, prefer using the FOB, especially for the remote start

Probably like most folks, I use my CX9 like a truck and have hauled furniture, loads of firewood, mulch and stuff most people wouldn't put in their SUVs. My point is the CX9 has great utility. If I could get the CX9 Signature with a bench rear seat, that will be my next vehicle. Bottom line, still love the car and have no regrets. Poppy D

Truckster,

You raised some interesting points. I never considered not letting the dealer wash the car. They do ask and since I hate washing the car in the driveway, I just say ok, wash it please. The "zonks" term, yes I hijacked it from Raiti. I liked it, so just borrowed it. I find the seats comfortable, not great, but I was admiring the seats in the Signature. They looked more comfortable. I'm a small guy so maybe I'll have better luck with them when the time comes.

As far as my mileage, I do have a light foot. I drove it on three 400 mile trips in November and early December, just put it cruise control, sit back and relax. I have to admit I love the adaptive cruise control. I set it at 70 and on the last trip I got 27.4 mpg. But this was lower than when I first got the car, so my mileage is getting lower.

You raise an excellent point about real controls. They should be in front as well. But like you said, if these are the biggest issues, the CX9 isn't so bad.

For the temp control system, can't you just hit the off button and all the fans stop?

Also, they have changed the seats since the 2018 model (which I also had). The 2021 signature seats sit higher up and feel shorter. I miss the old seats.

I often get 27 MPG on the highway. In fact, just this last week, on the first leg of my journey (~400 miles) I got 27.1 MPG. My overall mileage is 23.9 MPG (over 25K miles). My 2018 was similar at 24.1 MPG over 56K miles.

For the temp control system, can't you just hit the off button and all the fans stop?

Also, they have changed the seats since the 2018 model (which I also had). The 2021 signature seats sit higher up and feel shorter. I miss the old seats.

I often get 27 MPG on the highway. In fact, just this last week, on the first leg of my journey (~400 miles) I got 27.1 MPG. My overall mileage is 23.9 MPG (over 25K miles). My 2018 was similar at 24.1 MPG over 56K miles.
Impressive MPG.

I average 21-22 MPG. I did not reset my trip computer ('trip b') for 9,000 miles and it averaged 22.7 MPG (this included a non-stop NY-CA-NY trip, so plenty of highway).

There is an on/off button, I've never experimented with it. But that is a good suggestion. It also seems like 27 mpg on the highway is the norm forr the AWD models. My MPG started out better than 28 when the car was new but has backed off. I suppose I shouldn't complain with an heavy AWD vehicle.

Back