CX-9 roof rack (OEM)

Length of Thule Rectangular Load Bars

Hi,

I have just purchased CX-9 and now am about to get roof rack to match my skis & bikes Thule racks.

I am planning to get Mazda Roof Rack (without crossbars), and Thule 450 Crossroad Foot. What would be the required length of Thule Rectangular Load Bars to have minimum side overhang? (Or, what would be the minimum Thule Rectangular Load Bars length to fit my car?)

I am planning to order from RackOutfitters.com. Any comments or suggestions.

Regards,
Stefanovic

accessories

I recommend buying accessories from mazdaparts.org than mazdagear.com.
They seem to have about the same prices, but the former gives free shipping for purchase over $100. Tax is another concern, though it depends on where you live.
My stuff from mazdaparts.org was shipped within 1-2 days. Both are Mazda dealers, so no difference there.

Hi,

I have just purchased CX-9 and now am about to get roof rack to match my skis & bikes Thule racks.

I am planning to get Mazda Roof Rack (without crossbars), and Thule 450 Crossroad Foot. What would be the required length of Thule Rectangular Load Bars to have minimum side overhang? (Or, what would be the minimum Thule Rectangular Load Bars length to fit my car?)

I am planning to order from RackOutfitters.com. Any comments or suggestions.

Regards,
Stefanovic

I had 55 and 65 length bars on hand. The 55s were just long enough, but looked dumb. The 65s were too long so I cut them with a metal cut-off blade on my miter saw. I don't remember what the length was and there is a lot of ice outside right now for me to check. I think it was 58 to 60ish.

Also, a warning on fairings: the size fairing Thule says will fit is too long. The next size down would be too short IMO. I had already bought the size they said would fit, so I elected to use a paint stripping heat gun to heat the plastic fairing ends and give them a further rearward bend so the fairing would fit between the rails. A real pain, but the end result was worth it.

Do the OEM crossbars slide in the side rails? can you slide the rails back to the 'Not in Use' position without having to disassemble everything or is it just as easy to take them on/off as needed?

Proline racks .com. look at the Mont Blanc aero kits. cheaper than the standard Thules and have virtually no overhang. Quieter too. they will also accept almost any rack attachment, including T-channel mounts.

To resurrect this thread...

I notice Proline also has a set of non-locking crossbars to "fit most factory side rails," and they fit any Thule accessory (ski, bike, etc). The problem is, it looks like the bars are a little long, and have a hefty overhang. But couldn't I save myself ~$70 and just cut the ends down, instead of going with the Mont Blanc kit (assuming I don't mind that they don't lock)? Has anyone done this?

BTW, has anyone had trouble finding the button that extends the front tie downs? It's a bit hard to locate but I finally found it.

Seriously? I'm going to feel pretty stupid if this is a joke! (smash)

I have a similar issue, however: tandem kayak, the front tie-down for which rubs on the front bumper. Did you make these extenders? If so, how? Thanks.

Do the OEM crossbars slide in the side rails? can you slide the rails back to the 'Not in Use' position without having to disassemble everything or is it just as easy to take them on/off as needed?

The answer is YES. The factory cross bars easily slip on and off. They are 3 part crossbars - the bar and 2 sliding fittings that go in the Roof Rack. The crossbar quickly attaches to the 2 sliding fittings.

I bought mine on Sunday from Mazdaparts.org (Med Center Mazda in Alabama) and they were $250 for Rack & crossbars including shipping. It arrived on Wednesday, so very fast shipping. It was the cheapest price I found after scrounging eBay and the web. Installed in about 10 minutes. Easy.

QUESTION: Since I just installed both the Roof Rack and the crossbars today but want to leave the cross bars off until I need them, my question is do I leave the sliders in the Roof Racks or do I take them out? Anyone that has left the sliders in (without the crossbars) getting any wind noise from them? I can also see theft as an issue here as they are easy to remove from the Roof Racks.

It was a joke that no one but you caught. I made them. I took large metric bolts, M8's, I think, and screwed them into the two front Tow Hook threads.

Sport Owner... I am trying to replicate your extensions and am having trouble finding the right bolts. They are definitely not M8's as that is about 1/4 inch in diameter. They are bigger than M12s and bigger than 5/8th inch SAE threads.

Could they be M18s? If so, where did you get these? The local hardware store has nothing that big.

Thanks!

I am trying to replicate your extensions and am having trouble finding the right bolts. They are definitely not M8's as that is about 1/4 inch in diameter. They are bigger than M12s and bigger than 5/8th inch SAE threads.

Could they be M18s? If so, where did you get these? The local hardware store has nothing that big.

Thanks!

Terry, I suggest you bring the tow eye with you to the hardware store. It's under the trap door in the cargo area. Just find a nut that fits and then match the threads.

Rack noise

I just had the factory rails & bars installed (included w/ the deal I made) and there is quite a bit of noise. Does anyone know if it is just the cross bars or the whole set-up. I don't think I can take this annoying whistleing sound

Thanks in advance for anyone's insight!

I just had the factory rails & bars installed (included w/ the deal I made) and there is quite a bit of noise. Does anyone know if it is just the cross bars or the whole set-up. I don't think I can take this annoying whistleing sound

Thanks in advance for anyone's insight!

I have the factory rails installed and no noise at all. I have heard that the cross-bars cause noise and should be kept far back from the driver when not in use.

Back