CX-9 OEM Tires

Does yours have the pretty Mountain and Snowflake Symbol? (poke)

Yes they do that's why they are called all-weather tires - not all season or 3 season tires

They're also made by the same company that invented winter tires...

Last edited:
considering the balance that the cx-9 strikes between ride comfort and handling, I think your best bet would be a set of yokohama performance tires. they are standard equipment on my mazda6 and I am very pleased with how they perform.

Thus far, I only see a 255/35R20 (Advan Sport A/S) from Yoko. But, there goes your ride comfort as you drop 3 levels down in profile. Then again, if one does not care much about ride comfort then this could be an interesting try. Too bad there is no ENVigor that size.

And, just like that, found an interesting one from Yoko: ADVAN Sport V105 - Size: 255/40ZR20. Was this what you had in mind? One level taller than the 35 profile, so a little better ride quality maybe.

Super_View_of_the_Yokohama_ADVAN_Sport_V105_-_Mozilla_Firefox_201.png

Last edited:
Anybody thinking about going wider to a 265 width tire instead of the 255?

For those who are considering or interested I just replaced the OEM Falken Ziex CT50 A/S with a set of Nokian WRG3 SUV all weather tires (winter rated with UTQG of 600 AA) using 235 55R20 spec. Tires are 20mm narrower but not very noticable and with the tread pattern & design you can feel the slight diff vs OEM tires but not significantly while on the road in terms of road feel. Since new tires are narrower and lighter and due to low rolling resistance construction I do get better fuel economy by approx (1-2MPG) so far and you can also feel the vehicle's a bit lighter as it moves quicker with throttle inputs. So far no snow/ice yet to test the grip but from my experience owning these tires on my previous volvo they were better than all seasons. Handling characteristics so far haven't felt significantly reduced vs OEM tires. Unfortunately the Falkens didn't perform well during the past winter which prompted me to replace them even if only used for 8-9 mos. The new all weathers of course will not beat dedicated winter tires but they are better than all seasons and I didn't want the hassle and cost of the switchover twice a year.

Just a quick feedback on how these nokian all weather tires have performed so far esp yesterday getting to drive on wet-slushy roads as well as snow and icy patches after a 15cm snowfall...tires have performed great so far with very good grip and handling on wet and slushy roads to the point that it was fun accelerating from stops as the grip and AWD gave me confidence! We pulled to a stop sign which was a bit icy so the ABS kicked in but stopping distance was still good/short and when I accelerated the traction control never came on as both grip on tires and AWD system worked very well (never felt car swayed nor lost traction). Again am only comparing the peformance vs the prev standard OEM all season tires and not vs winter tires. Overall so far happy with these new set of tires!

(2016 GT here)

Sorry for dredging up this thread but it suddenly (and sadly) brings up a question I have. I hit something on the shoulder of one tire that my local garage says they can't repair. Fine, I expected as much. But with about 20k miles on the 20" Falkens, they said I have to replace at least 2. And oh yeah, since the TPMS uses wheel speed (?) and the difference in tire circumference, I'm looking at all four. *eesh*

I'm happy with the Falkens and told him I'd like a set "like those" (quiet, etc). He said, "Just buy the same set then. You'll be happiest with them." I get he doesn't want me to complain if the tires he suggests aren't as good (in my opinion). I do trust him, and he's always willing to take shipments from Tire Rack since he says he usually can't touch their price.

But now I see the retail and OEM aren't necessarily the same?? Oh for the love of ***. :)

Edit: Yikes, I didn't know the Falkens had such a crappy wear rating. No wonder they're quiet!

Last edited:
When my wife's MDX needed new tires I did a lot of research and ended up going with the Michelin Defender LTX M/S, and we couldn't be happier. I think either these or the Michelin Premier LTX tires are far better than the Falkens. We went with the Defenders because they got better ratings for driving in the snow. The MDX doesn't get driven much (~7,500 miles/year), and as such we don't have a dedicated set of winter wheels/tires for it. The Defenders are more than good enough for her in the winter. When my Falkens need replacing I'll likely go with the Premiers since I do have a set of winter tires/wheels. In either case, both have a tread life rating far higher than the Falkens.

Just my $0.02.

(2016 GT here)

Sorry for dredging up this thread but it suddenly (and sadly) brings up a question I have. I hit something on the shoulder of one tire that my local garage says they can't repair. Fine, I expected as much. But with about 20k miles on the 20" Falkens, they said I have to replace at least 2. And oh yeah, since the TPMS uses wheel speed (?) and the difference in tire circumference, I'm looking at all four. *eesh*

I'm happy with the Falkens and told him I'd like a set "like those" (quiet, etc). He said, "Just buy the same set then. You'll be happiest with them." I get he doesn't want me to complain if the tires he suggests aren't as good (in my opinion). I do trust him, and he's always willing to take shipments from Tire Rack since he says he usually can't touch their price.

But now I see the retail and OEM aren't necessarily the same?? Oh for the love of ***. :)

Edit: Yikes, I didn't know the Falkens had such a crappy wear rating. No wonder they're quiet!

Have you looked on TireRack--not necessarily to buy, but for ratings? Bridgestone Duelers were OEM--I did not like those tires. I just replaced a set of Bridgestone Ecopia 422s with a set of General Altimax RT43s. Both were rated pretty close to each other, but the Generals were $100 cheaper per tire. And in the Ecopia's price range are Michelin Premier LTX.

I did see the Duelers and saw that some people on here did not like them. Tire Rack is great, but the reviews are all over the place. I suspect it's because the tires are being installed on all sorts of vehicles so they understandably behave differently. I figured I'd get some opinions here since most of us have CX-9s. :) I have the Falkens as OEM and I was tempted to just get them again since I liked them, but given the wear rating I'm not so sure (which opens Pandora's box).

Thanks colnago1331, I'm leaning toward the Michelin Defenders. I did fine with the Falkens in the snow in Massachusetts (if it gets bad, I don't go out :) ) but having a little more bite would probably be good.

When my wife's MDX needed new tires I did a lot of research and ended up going with the Michelin Defender LTX M/S, and we couldn't be happier. I think either these or the Michelin Premier LTX tires are far better than the Falkens. We went with the Defenders because they got better ratings for driving in the snow. The MDX doesn't get driven much (~7,500 miles/year), and as such we don't have a dedicated set of winter wheels/tires for it. The Defenders are more than good enough for her in the winter. When my Falkens need replacing I'll likely go with the Premiers since I do have a set of winter tires/wheels. In either case, both have a tread life rating far higher than the Falkens.

Just my $0.02.

I finally replaced the Falken tires (had problem with "whoot, whoot" sensation at 18K miles that I mentioned on another thread here) with Michelin Defender LTX M/S and am happy with it (~1500 miles so far). I first got the Nitto NT421Q based on great reviews that I read from various places online. However, these tires are noisy at low speed and I felt it the seconds leaving the tire shop.

One thing I do not like about Michelin Defender LTX M/S tires: they look narrower due to design at has angle at the edge. The Nittos look much better (wider). At first, I wanted to go with the Michelin Premier LTX but reviewers out there reported it lasts much shorter than the Michelin Defender LTX M/S

I was also considering the Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 but it got mixed reviews.

Just a note that Bridgestone has about 15 different Dueler models. When someone says that the Dueler was...(fill in the blank)...we need to know the model name to know what we're talking about. The Dueler HL Alenza Plus is the 20" model that fits our cars. "The Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Plus is designed to deliver a quiet and comfortable highway ride. This tire delivers improved fuel efficiency (as compared to the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza), year-round performance, and an 80,000 mile treadwear warranty." I don't know how good it is, just that it is different from the other 14 Dueler models, and different from older Dueler models no longer in production.
https://www.bridgestonetire.com/tire/dueler-hl-alenza-plus/255-50r20

The Michelin Defender is the high tread life model. The Premier is the high wet traction model. I live in the Pacific Northwet. The Premier would be my choice. If I lived in sunny SoCal, I'd get the Defender.

Last edited:
Just a note that Bridgestone has about 15 different Dueler models. When someone says that the Dueler was...(fill in the blank)...we need to know the model name to know what we're talking about. The Dueler HL Alenza Plus is the 20" model that fits our cars. "The Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Plus is designed to deliver a quiet and comfortable highway ride. This tire delivers improved fuel efficiency (as compared to the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza), year-round performance, and an 80,000 mile treadwear warranty." I don't know how good it is, just that it is different from the other 14 Dueler models, and different from older Dueler models no longer in production.
https://www.bridgestonetire.com/tire/dueler-hl-alenza-plus/255-50r20

The Michelin Defender is the high tread life model. The Premier is the high wet traction model. I live in the Pacific Northwet. The Premier would be my choice. If I lived in sunny SoCal, I'd get the Defender.
The Michelin Premier tire is special. As it wears, additional sipes open up and rain grooves widen for improved wet handling and shorter braking distance. The Michelin Premier tire is designed to start with a lower tread depth than traditional all-season tires, enabling better fuel efficiency without compromising grip or tread life. Also, this unique tread design is computer-optimized to reduce vibrations and road noise. Note: I worked for 16 years at Michelin in the U.S. and France, and I was around when this tire was being developed. So I have a bias! (yes)

just curious, what mileage are you replacing your OEM tires at? for our '16 GT with Falken Ziex tires, we are now at 31k and i am thinking we only have another 4-6k miles left on the tread (although we are going into the spring/summer now so maybe we can push it until Fall/Winter).

just curious, what mileage are you replacing your OEM tires at? for our '16 GT with Falken Ziex tires, we are now at 31k and i am thinking we only have another 4-6k miles left on the tread (although we are going into the spring/summer now so maybe we can push it until Fall/Winter).

I replaced my Falken tires (as mentioned on the previous page due to the noise) at 31K and the tread were still looking good. I believe they will still be good for at least 40K.

The Michelin Premier tire is special. As it wears, additional sipes open up and rain grooves widen for improved wet handling and shorter braking distance. The Michelin Premier tire is designed to start with a lower tread depth than traditional all-season tires, enabling better fuel efficiency without compromising grip or tread life. Also, this unique tread design is computer-optimized to reduce vibrations and road noise. Note: I worked for 16 years at Michelin in the U.S. and France, and I was around when this tire was being developed. So I have a bias! (yes)

I installed 4 Michelin Premier LTX in January 2016 with 39K on my 2012 CX9. This past weekend, I had to replace those tires 61K miles on my odo. So I got maybe 22K miles out of a set of tires that has a warranty for 60K miles. 2 tires were worn down to the wear bars and the other 2 has some life left but certainly not 40K left. So guess what I replaced with them with? The same Premier LTX tires. (cryhard)
Lot of complaints of shorter than expected tire life on Tirerack's website. But the tire works well and is quiet.

I installed 4 Michelin Premier LTX in January 2016 with 39K on my 2012 CX9. This past weekend, I had to replace those tires 61K miles on my odo. So I got maybe 22K miles out of a set of tires that has a warranty for 60K miles. 2 tires were worn down to the wear bars and the other 2 has some life left but certainly not 40K left. So guess what I replaced with them with? The same Premier LTX tires. (cryhard)
Lot of complaints of shorter than expected tire life on Tirerack's website. But the tire works well and is quiet.
Michelin will issue a partial credit for less-than-advertised tread life. Hope you got a deal!

Bring back an old thread here. Our 2018 GT AWD is about due for new shoes. There are only 22k miles on the Falkens but getting close the wear bar as most of those miles were high speed interstate with a fully loaded car ( I guess)

I'm a Michelin fan and was going to pony up for the new Defender LTX M/S ( better than the old Defender I am told) But Pirelli has a tire that people seem to like that's about 30 bucks a tire cheaper.

And then the Michelin Premier Defender which I don't see on Discount Tires site.

Thoughts?

Michelin Defender LTX

Michelin Premier LTX

Discount Tire offers two Premier LTX models...is the one with the DT suffix something special for Discount Tire? That would be good to ask.

That Falken tire life seems very low. Is the cold inflation pressure OK...follow the placard on the driver's door jam. Is the 4-wheel alignment OK? Or, as you say, high speeds, heavy loads, maybe hot pavement. Do rotate the tires on schedule. And, some regions make their paving materials with a local aggregate that is highly abrasive.

Its more the latter. Chip seal here in Montana beats up tires pretty quickly. There is still probably 5k left on them but as a motorcycle rider I never push rubber all the way to the end. Inflation is checked regularly and they have been rotated and worn uniformly. I don't drive the car all that much ( and of course now not at all due the S*#*T storm we all live in but I know there is a much better ride with some better tires. I don't think the Falkens are terrible as some do.

Still wondering is Premier better than the Defender and if so why?

Michelin says:
Premier LTX:
Mileage warranty: 60,000 miles.
Shorter Stopping
Hydroplaning Resistance
Excellent Wet Grip
Lasting Winter Performance

Defender LTX:
Mileage warranty: 70,000 miles
Improved Tread Life in Severe Conditions
Excellent Wet and Snow Traction
Eco-Friendly

So...on your roads the Defender LTX might be the better choice.

Michelin says:
Premier LTX:
Mileage warranty: 60,000 miles.
Shorter Stopping
Hydroplaning Resistance
Excellent Wet Grip
Lasting Winter Performance

Defender LTX:
Mileage warranty: 70,000 miles
Improved Tread Life in Severe Conditions
Excellent Wet and Snow Traction
Eco-Friendly

So...on your roads the Defender LTX might be the better choice.

Thank you..I'm going to get the Defender.

Back