CX 9 backup (reverse) sensor installation

spaceguy

:
2011 Mazda CX9 GS AWD
I have installed after market backup (reverse) sensor on 2011 CX9

I have installed after market backup (reverse) sensor on 2011 CX9 - all instructions and very easy.

I bought my CX9 Jan 2012 and it is Sports model so not the top of the line and so it did not come with the back-up (reverse) camera or sensor. This is the only thing that I always have trouble with as it is difficult to judge the distance when reversing. So I started researching and came across all the ultra sonic sensors in the market, but I stumbled upon this new technology that uses electromagnetic field as the sensor http://www.proxel.com/en/instead of ultrasonic wave.

This got me interested to know more about it and after more research and watching YOU TUBE video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7WhDhG8CX8
So I looked researched on how to install this sensor and found all the information at the company website. What attracted me and got me interested is we do not have to drill any holes in the bumper to install these sensor, which is good because I did not want to do that at all. The GOOD part is this sensor goes behind the bumper, no drilling no cutting nothing, however the only drawback is you have to get behind the bumper. This made me bit worried and thought OMG that is a big job and how will I get this done. But it turned out that it was easy.

You can buy the sensor directly from the factory in Italy. Yes it is made in Italy.
They have an Italian website http://digital-planet.it/component/virtuemart/sensori-di-parcheggio/sensori-di-parcheggio-elettromagnetici-invisibili/

I bought mine directly thru Mauro Del Signore
Mauro Del Signore's mdelsignore@proxel.com directly and I paid thru Paypal to Mr. Mauro Del Signore
Honestly I was a bit worried that this will not come but I trusted him and paid, and was happy to receive them in the 2nd week of Jan 2013 via Canada Post.

So here is the instructions

1) Use the instructions step by step to remove the Rear Bumper from here http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...-version-of-the-factory-repair-service-manual

2) Remove the Lift gate upper trim by following instructions in the same PDF files under INTERIOR TRIMS. You will find a connector as soon as you remove the trim. You do not have to remove this connector.

3) For the power connections I used extra wire to route it from the reverse line to the location where I wanted to install the Sensor Control Module. For this I used 20 AWG wire. Next to the connector you need to find the Red-Yellow wire (Red Wire with Yellow line) and connect your power +ve wire to this. This the Reverse light +ve wire.

4) The chassis Ground is also located next to the connector. Connect your –ve lead to the chassis ground.

5) Route the wire thru the rubber pass thru between the lift gate and the Roof of the CX9. You will need to peel down the Roof lining little to access the wire that you are feeding thru.

6) Once you have got the wire fed, then tuck it under the Rubber seal around the Lift Gate opening. The 20 AWG wire will comfortable fit in the rubber seal. I routed the wire toward the driver side seal of the opening.

7) Removed the cargo trays and the Jack Cover.

8) I lifted the bottom Lift gate latch trim and fed the wire in to the cargo compartment. Just behind the Jack storage area towards the driver side I saw a Grommet cover. This is the point of exit I used for the sensor attachment cable to the bumper location.

9) After removing the entire bumper I cleaned the mounting location inside the bumper with Isopropyl alcohol (also called rubbing alcohol). This is an amazing de-greaser / cleaner that will not harm the bumper. See photo.

10) Per the instructions supplied with the sensor I applied the Aluminum Tape type antenna in the cleaned bumper area and pressed it down really good.

11) I connected the RF cable and then applied the sticky tack at each ends and in left over in the middle.

12) For added protection I sprayed the entire sensor with RustOleum Leak Seal flexible rubber sealant http://www.rustoleum.ca/CBGProduct.asp?pid=298

13) Installed the bumper, routed the wire, installed the module, sealed the exit hole with house hold silicone sealer.

14) The module was installed under the cargo tray next to the Jack towards the driver’s side. See photos.

15) Powered up, did some sensitivity adjustments and IT WORKS LIKE A CHARM.

16) No one can see the sensor and the change in the look of the vehicle.

This thing is amazing and it works really well. If you do not want to drill holes in the bumper and colour match the ultrasonic sensors to the bumper. Go with this one it is great. By the way did I mention that this is not made in China.

Photos of some of the installation is here http://www.flickr.com/photos/92329982@N04/

Last edited:
Maybe it is a bit late to say but, EM-based system cannot detect "children" or non-metal objects.
Ultrasound-based system, though with short range, can detect almost anything.
That is my understanding.

Ceric, I tested this out after installation while backing up at tree and concrete pillar and cardboard box, and the sensor did pick up the objects and beeped as a normal system.

I have not tested on human so this I will try it out today and let you know if this does work if there are people standing behind the vehicle.

Thanks for your concern and input. I am also interested in finding this answer. I was also skeptical at first as I am in engineering as well and curiosity drove me to do this.

Updated at 2 PM EDT

At lunch time I took some of my colluges and went out to my CX9 and tested it out to see if the human interaction would be detected. Well it did detect human in the sensor range.

Instead of moving the vehicle and for safety reason I asked my friends to walk in to the sensor range from the side and as soon as they were in the sensor range it beeped and the closer they came to the bumper the faster the beep and around 10 cm the beep was continues.
So it does work with humans as well.

Last edited:
Interesting. I think it is an EM system that is very sensitive.
>> The only material which can be less detected is the pure ceramic and glass if not containing contaminating particles.

Last edited:
Back