CX-8 vs CX-9

I see no logical purpose for Mazda to have developed a slightly smaller CX-9.

If the gas turbo engine isn't practical for some countries, they could have saved a lot of time and money shoving the diesel engine into the existing CX-9.

The few inches difference makes no sense for both to exist. Think about it, the CX-8 is the about the length of the Highlander, LOL.The cost involved in doing an entirely different interior!

The CX-9 looks so much better. The shortened CX-8 proportions just don't work as well.

I see no logical purpose for Mazda to have developed a slightly smaller CX-9.

Reason it was built is because of Japanese tax rates. CX-9 is not sold there due to its size incurring higher taxes.

Hence the creation of the CX-8.

Reason it was built is because of Japanese tax rates. CX-9 is not sold there due to its size incurring higher taxes.

Hence the creation of the CX-8.

This is why America is the place to be. Most countries tax by size, engine size, etc.

6" difference is silly. Like I said, the Highlander is approximately the same length. The Sorento is shorter, the Acadia is about the size of the CX-8 and these all compete directly with CX-9.

This is why America is the place to be. Most countries tax by size, engine size, etc.

6" difference is silly. Like I said, the Highlander is approximately the same length. The Sorento is shorter, the Acadia is about the size of the CX-8 and these all compete directly with CX-9.

Probably reasons why CX-8 won't be sold there ever

AFAIK we don't as of yet tax that way. We do however have luxury car tax which kicks in at certain amount.

If the gas turbo engine isn't practical for some countries, they could have saved a lot of time and money shoving the diesel engine into the existing CX-9.

That's what I thought so too. good point

I'm sorry, but I cannot possibly disagree with you more. Talking about NA as a whole, the fuel quality here is bad, the drivers here are mostly bad, there is a huge lack of manual transmissions. many people driving larger cars barely even use 10% of the available space. there are very few diesel options. the roads in snow-belt states/provinces with variances in climate have dreadful roads which damage our cars. all these massive pickup trucks and SUV's guzzling our precious (well not really precious, but limited) reserve of fuel just so people can sit higher up. look - I have absolutely no issues with the CX-9. it is one of the very few SUV's I actually like. it is efficient, it offers the optimal amount of space for people who actually need to haul things, but overall, except for the burly engines due to our more open roads, I am wholly unimpressed.

China has the cx6 or something of that nature. Just adding some flavor to the masses i guess.

CX-4:

xbllv.jpg

I drive a CX5 now and really appreciated the extra elbow room in my CX7. I look forward to a slightly larger interior in the CX8. Ed

Wonder if the 1st two rows space is the same as the CX-5.... (scratch)

The size of the CX8 is one of the fastest selling sectors in Japan. Preorders were 10X what Mazda had predicted.
Wonder if will canabilise CX-9 and CX-5 sales here when released later this year

Latest posts

Back