CX-7 smoking turbo?

TxMedic83

:
Mazda Cx-7 2007
I've got my '07 CX-7 (139000 miles) in the shop right now for the smoking issue plus VVT noise. They confirmed the VVT needs replacement. They've also noted that the turbo has some play in the shaft and they feel that it will smoke whether or not I do the ventilation kit repair. The car is obviously no longer under warranty, and just developed these issues recently. I parked it as soon as the VVT noise started and saved up for the repairs.

So people have info, the quote I got to do a new VVT actuator, timing chain, tensioner, crank seal, and accessories is $1195 from Roger Beasley Mazda. That's a fairly fair price from what I've read here in the past.

They quoted me $2309 for the Turbo replacement and $735 for the ventilation kit. All prices are parts & labor. For now I'm not doing the turbo (unless I can talk Mazda into a good faith 50-75% coverage based on their crappy design and known flaw). I'll likely do the vent kit to see what they say.

Attaching pictures of the camshafts, banjo bolt, and impeller. I'm pretty pleased with how things look given the mileage and that I run a higher oil change interval (10k miles) on 5/30 synthetic.

I've asked the techs to hold all the parts removed from the car so I can measure the chain and photograph if requested. 48492.jpeg48497.jpeg48500.jpeg48501.jpeg48505.jpeg

Any thoughts anyone has on persuading mazda to cover the turbo out of warranty (haha) are welcome. Also any thoughts on whether the turbo needs to be replaced as per the TSB are welcome as well.

Thanks!48497.jpeg48500.jpeg48501.jpeg48492.jpeg48505.jpeg

persuading mazda for a turbo replacement... good luck, they extended their coverage to 80k (correct me if im wrong), so you're out of luck, even if you were to be in accordance to mileage you would've need to provide proof that you have changed regularly the oil (the recommended one) if this was done out of the dealership, and also depends on the dealership because the one closest to me; Mazda of Lodi did not want to even submit the claim, while Wayne Mazda did it and got a denial because of one missing interval on my end, but at least they tried !
I ended up installing myself a banjo bolt and problem solved, also started using another oil; i was using Mobil 1, now i use Rotella and it feels way different.
The ventilation kit can be bought online for less than $400, but try the bolt first and see how that goes...

also, try to do both the banjo and the oil at the same time, make sure also that you take a look at the timing chain, just in case

my turbo just went out today at 112k.

whats the deal with banjo bolt and ventilation kit? never heard anything about this.

I only used my dealership for oil change and I was due at 112,644 miles, only about 100 miles away.

I have had great service with Hiley Arlington Mazda but there has been some serious turnover in staff lately and dont know if they would be willing to help me like they did for when my fuel line deterioated and I had to replace that and all fuel injectors.

Back