CX-5 vs CX-9 Handling and Road Feel

:
2019 CX-5 Grand Touring Reserve
I am currently in the market for a bigger car after finding that I need more cargo space. I have the CX-9 on the list (obviously) and took a test drive yesterday. For those who have driven both, did you notice the steering on the CX-9 feeling more floaty and less direct than the CX-5? Also, there was a significant amount more road noise on the Carbon Edition I drove 🤔

Last edited:
I am currently in the market for a bigger car after finding that I need more cargo space. I have the CX-9 on the list (obviously) and took a test drive yesterday. For those who have driven both, did you notice the steering on the CX-9 feeling more floaty and less direct than the CX-5? Also, there was a significant amount more road noise om the Carbon Edition I drove 🤔

My CX-9 felt "floaty" when I first got it delivered. Turns out the tire pressures were all very high. After adjustment, the car felt much, much better. That might be something to check the next time you visit the dealer (assuming that you didn't check beforehand, and that the dealer didn't adjust tire pressures either, which based on owner feedback, they almost never do).

I drove both a couple years ago. I did notice the CX-9's additional weight and length in handling, but the steering on both felt about the same. I ultimately went with the CX-5 for the higher zoom-zoom per dollar. But I am envious of the CX-9s cargo capacity and much better looking basic proportions. I wish my CX-5 were a little wider and longer. ...and while I'm at it, lighter and faster. The road noise in my CX-5, however, is not a problem at all.

I drove both a couple years ago. I did notice the CX-9's additional weight and length in handling, but the steering on both felt about the same. I ultimately went with the CX-5 for the higher zoom-zoom per dollar. But I am envious of the CX-9s cargo capacity and much better looking basic proportions. I wish my CX-5 were a little wider and longer. ...and while I'm at it, lighter and faster. The road noise in my CX-5, however, is not a problem at all.
I don’t know why I would think there’s a difference (well, weight), but any less torque steer on the CX9? I was surprised how much torque steer my CX5 had for being AWD coming from Subaru, but it’s overshadowed by the fun “zoom-zoom who cares about torque steer” factor.

I have a 19 CX-5 and almost bought the CX-9 last year, but I went with Acura MDX instead. The CX-9 was a great car with great features (HUD), but I didn't feel like it was significantly larger than the 5. Overall I felt like I would own two of the same car if went all Mazda, and the MDX had some other advantages that won me over: torque vectoring AWD, active lane keeping, 5000lb towing capacity, V6, and more spacious interior. At 50k miles now (purchased with 20k) and not a single unplanned dealer visit, just DIY oil changes, tire rotations, and air filter replacements. Now that the 2022 models are out, you may be able to get a sweet deal on the leftover 20s. Sorry for the unsolicited recommendation. Just felt it was worth mentioning because it and the CX-9 are the most driver-focused SUVs in this segment.

I have a 19 CX-5 and almost bought the CX-9 last year, but I went with Acura MDX instead. The CX-9 was a great car with great features (HUD), but I didn't feel like it was significantly larger than the 5. Overall I felt like I would own two of the same car if went all Mazda, and the MDX had some other advantages that won me over: torque vectoring AWD, active lane keeping, 5000lb towing capacity, V6, and more spacious interior. At 50k miles now (purchased with 20k) and not a single unplanned dealer visit, just DIY oil changes, tire rotations, and air filter replacements. Now that the 2022 models are out, you may be able to get a sweet deal on the leftover 20s. Sorry for the unsolicited recommendation. Just felt it was worth mentioning because it and the CX-9 are the most driver-focused SUVs in this segment.
I do miss that SH-AWD. Wow is that an impressive system. The LKAS was also great.

Now if I had just not had every problem known to man on my ‘20 RDX. I also like the sleeper look of the CX-5 Turbo. Only a couple of small badges tell others it’s got power, otherwise I blend in nicely with the masses. I didn’t like the extra attention I got in the Acura.

To keep this on-topic, the CX-5’s handling is great for what it is. I imagine it’s a little sharper than the 9 with less body roll. Both are missing that awesome Acura AWD system, but I’d give Mazda the nod for reliability over Honda/Acura any day. Maybe not a Honda from 20 years ago, but current state. They aren’t bullet proof anymore like my ‘94 Integra was.

Last edited:
To OP, I agreed with the tire pressure theory.
When we got our CX5. I had told the salesman we wanted the grey color. He had paper works ready for us. My wife test drove it, and liked it. Perfect. Out of the blue, she changed mind to a blue one. Our salesman was nice enough to update the paper works for a blue one (cheaper actually due to no-cost color). Done deal.

On the drive back home, my wife complained to me ... "This blue one seems more floaty and noisy... than the grey one.." She was driving it. I said "No way. Same car."

After arriving home, I checked the tire pressure. 44psi !!!.
I lowered them down to 35psi. My wife was happy.
Happy wife, happy life.

Had a 2021 cx9 as a loaner the other day. It was a bit more isolated than my cx5 gtr in every way, but the DNA was the same. It impressed me.

Back