2017~2024 CX-5 Trailer Hitch recommendations?

I used the rear accessory power supply, and then changed the 20amp fuse (it might have been 25 amps I forget) in the fuse box to 10amps since that's what the harness used. I don't use accessories that need very many amps especially in the back. If you get the Canadian Mazda harness, they supply a wire terminal that plugs directly into the wire box in the back of the car for power.

I noticed that the etrailer video recommended going from rear to front, and the haul video from front to back. Front to back made more sense to me too.

I used the rear accessory power supply, and then changed the 20amp fuse (it might have been 25 amps I forget) in the fuse box to 10amps since that's what the harness used. I don't use accessories that need very many amps especially in the back. If you get the Canadian Mazda harness, they supply a wire terminal that plugs directly into the wire box in the back of the car for power.
That’s what I did. I went with the Canadian OEM harness and was a very easy installation.

this sounds like the way to go. Where do you get a Canadian harness? Canada I suppose. 😂 can I order that online?

this sounds like the way to go. Where do you get a Canadian harness? Canada I suppose. 😂 can I order that online?
You can buy the Canadian harness from Scarboro Mazda in ON here (just select "harness only" under options):

You can buy the Canadian harness from Scarboro Mazda in ON here (just select "harness only" under options):

When I did mine, I got it from them, I contacted them and had them add "harness only" as an option.

Not sure I understand. I purchased the harness only from them back in January.
I got mine back in March .... 2018. At the time, it wasn't listed with "harness only" as an option. So I inquired about getting just the harness. Make sense?

It's such a better solution, I don't know why they don't all do it like that. I went out on a limb and assumed it would work with my 2018 US GT, and it did.

I got mine back in March .... 2018. At the time, it wasn't listed with "harness only" as an option. So I inquired about getting just the harness. Make sense?

It's such a better solution, I don't know why they don't all do it like that. I went out on a limb and assumed it would work with my 2018 US GT, and it did.
Yup! I get it. Thanks Murky. Sorry for letting that completely go over my head (don’t get old!).

I have been more than pleased with it. Easy install and no long wiring runs or ramps needed.

When I did mine, I got it from them, I contacted them and had them add "harness only" as an option.
Thank you. I’ll order one. I’m hoping etrailer will take the one I got with the receiver back. If not, it’s still worth it to me. I almost never use those rear accessory plugs - only a couple of times to run a tire pump. I can plug it in elsewhere.

If we knew what size that wire terminal was, we could probably find the terminal and just solder it to the power wire of any harness to plug into that wire box for power. At the time I tried to figure out the size and shape but couldn't.

So, that a Mazda hitch apparently, and a Mazda wiring harness. Wouldn’t there be the same thing in the US? I’m sure the shipping would be much cheaper if I could just get a Mazda harness here. Why would it only be Canadian?

from the knowledge sharing document

trailer hitch0000-8E-R01 ~ 0000-8E-R06

Hitch wire harness0000-8E-R06 0000-8E-R07
Hitch Harness (canadian)00CT-88-C57H

so yeah the wiring harness part number is different; but the hitch itself is the same. Remember when the part number increases in numeric value it is normally the newer (revised) part number.
From the post here "If you get the Canadian Mazda harness, they supply a wire terminal that plugs directly into the wire box in the back of the car for power." So it would be a bit easier to install, because the non Canadian part simply has bare wires for power that most people run to directly to the battery (like etrailer).

also note for the Mazda hitch you MUST cut the rear bumper valance to accommodate the hitch connection outward.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why the Canadian harness is different, but the Curt trailer lights adapter is supplied with the extra wire to prevent damage (and maybe warranty issues) with the rear body module.

I don't have a trailer but the last time I rented a trailer from Uhaul it took the guy almost a half hour to get the lights working correctly AND it was their truck, too. So I'm ok with the extra wire and fuse for the external power in case I rent a trailer.

Maybe it is superfluous but it wasn't hard to run the wire. Either way you have to remove or loosen the interior trim, which was the hard part.

from the knowledge sharing document

trailer hitch0000-8E-R01 ~ 0000-8E-R06

Hitch wire harness0000-8E-R06 0000-8E-R07
Hitch Harness (canadian)00CT-88-C57H

so yeah the wiring harness part number is different; but the hitch itself is the same. Remember when the part number increases in numeric value it is normally the newer (revised) part number.
From the post here "If you get the Canadian Mazda harness, they supply a wire terminal that plugs directly into the wire box in the back of the car for power." So it would be a bit easier to install, because the non Canadian part simply has bare wires for power that most people run to directly to the battery (like etrailer).

also note for the Mazda hitch you MUST cut the rear bumper valance to accommodate the hitch connection outward.

And I already have the receiver installed. It's one from etrailer that doesn’t require any cutting. I got that this fall after I got the car. I bought a wiring harness at the same time, then discovered what a pain it was going to be to install, and didn’t get it done before winter hit. I mainly use the hitch for a bike rack, but by next late spring need to be able to pull a motorcycle trailer requiring lights.

Odd that only the Canadian harness has the plug. As has been stated, it’s probable that we could put the right connector on the US harness. If it wasn't below zero outside, I might pull that power port and see how the wires attach. But I have enough machines to work on, so I'll probably just order the Canadian harness.

I'm not sure why the Canadian harness is different, but the Curt trailer lights adapter is supplied with the extra wire to prevent damage (and maybe warranty issues) with the rear body module.

I don't have a trailer but the last time I rented a trailer from Uhaul it took the guy almost a half hour to get the lights working correctly AND it was their truck, too. So I'm ok with the extra wire and fuse for the external power in case I rent a trailer.

Maybe it is superfluous but it wasn't hard to run the wire. Either way you have to remove or loosen the interior trim, which was the hard part.
Good point, but I would think the Canadian's have to think about damaging the car too. I’m not disagreeing with you, it’s just odd to me that there would be different harnesses in different countries like that. I haven’t taken a good look at that shied or whatever it is under the car. I assumed you would have to unbutton that thing to run the wire to the battery. Either you, or someone here, said they didn’t, so that makes a difference too.
things that make you go, hmmm.

The DOT governs issues concerning trailers so maybe there is something different about Canada''s regulations.

I would worry less about it if the car was out of warranty.

The DOT governs issues concerning trailers so maybe there is something different about Canada''s regulations.

I would worry less about it if the car was out of warranty.
Another good point. And mine is out of warranty. So I can abuse it at will. :)

Am I reading correctly that the Canadian harness is straight plug and play? No splicing and no running a wire to the battery? It would be on a brand new 21 Signature so I like if something goes wrong I could just unplug/ remove that harness and not mess up my warranty

And as far as receivers I'm thinking Curt or Etrailer class 3 which I understand are the same except Curt is gloss and Etrailer matte. Any guess if one is more rust resistant than the other? I need to deal with Minnesota winter road salt.

I think they are powder coated. Does that stop rust? I think there is another brand, Drawtite or something. One uses square tubing the other uses round.

Back