CX-5 storage thread

7eregrine

The man, the myth, the legend
:
Land of Cleve
:
2016.5 CX5
The reviews always say we are middle of the pack (or worse) when it comes to storage. A frequent former poster here used to lord it over us how his CRV had more storage. But is it really that big a deal in your day to day? Here's a thread to share stories and pics of things you've carried in your CX-5s.
My story for today.
Hauling 18 boxes of documents, 2 laptops, a dolly and a printer over 120 miles to a trial in another city. My boss kept saying preload "you can take my Pilot if you don't have room..."
Brother, please. I don't need no damn Pilot.
After getting it loaded up he was all "Wow that does hold a lot!"
Yes. Yes it does.
c4d4570dde305cd4285313b42d85b9fb.jpg

Last edited:
I think a lot is that extra space in the CRV is up top that doesn’t really effect the real world use ability as much. In our case the CX-5 has plenty of space.

My Honda Element was the master of the defying the "it will take two trips" speech from other people. Having said that, for day to day use I have no problems with the CX-5 and certainly find I have much more room in the cargo are than I did in the "E".

The "E" could take two mountain bikes standing up inside with room for a cooler and picnic items and room to spare.

Day to day people aren't loading up to the full capacity, so CR-V extra top room storage area was a moot point.

I moved someone across several states with my CX-5, no furniture of course, but we were even surprised by how much we ended up being able to fit.

The CRV's storage is an on-paper advantage - the back is squared off giving some extra cubes in the last place you need it and resulting in its ungainly appearance.

I carry equipment cases, dollies and cinema items all the time. It'd be nice if the front passenger seat could tilt forward.

Honda does know what they’re doing with packing on the inside though. I think the straight pipes got like 11 boxes in the Civic Type R. Like Tardis technology lol

I found the storage in the CX5 adequate. Really not much different than our CRV, but the CRV's seats don't fold down nearly as flat as those in the CX5, which I find more important than total capacity on paper. Both vehicles can hold all 4 tires with the back seats up.

With my Infiniti I have to go all Tetris to put 4 tires into the back, and the rear seats must be down too.

That’s cool I never tried fitting the tires back there. I usually swap myself but I’m usually sore the next day. Maybe I should start having the shop do it lol. In the ST I could fit 4 fairly easy with the seat down.

Hmm I put one of my backseats down to fit 4 tires. But I didn't try not doing it that way if I'm honest.

That’s cool I never tried fitting the tires back there. I usually swap myself but I’m usually sore the next day. Maybe I should start having the shop do it lol. In the ST I could fit 4 fairly easy with the seat down.

I swapped out the CX5's tires/wheels myself at home, but had to bring them home when I first bought them. Our CRV doesn't have dedicated rims, so it goes to the tire place twice a year.

Now the 20's on the Infiniti... yeah they're heavy, big and awkward. I get sore moving those things around.

Ah ok I had ordered from Tire Rack so UPS left them in my driveway. I think I’ll need to do this with the GTI though as I want to go with Rotarys for the summer setup then next fall have some Pilot Alpins put on the stock wheels. Will be easier to transport in the CX-5 for sure! Did you stack side by side or do vertical across?

what does everyone put in the little side containers on each side of the spare? not sure what could fit back there that would be useable. Maybe a knife, screwdriver and duck tape?

Ah ok I had ordered from Tire Rack so UPS left them in my driveway. I think I’ll need to do this with the GTI though as I want to go with Rotarys for the summer setup then next fall have some Pilot Alpins put on the stock wheels. Will be easier to transport in the CX-5 for sure! Did you stack side by side or do vertical across?

4 across vertically. I usually tucked a towel or two around them as well to keep them from rocking/banging around.

what does everyone put in the little side containers on each side of the spare? not sure what could fit back there that would be useable. Maybe a knife, screwdriver and duck tape?
Car wash stuff. Microfiber towels, glass towels, sprayaway, drying towels.

Can't do it at home, so I take to a DIY carwash usually. I try not to but every now and then an auto wash. The damage is already kinda done though so probably doesn't matter.

Though I would like to free the spaces back up so looking for a bag I can put all this in instead.

I'm currently car shopping and I'm glad y'all started this thread because I love what I'm hearing about the 2018 CX-5 but the 59.6 ft cargo space on paper always worries me. (lol2)

One thing I've always wondered is whether an IKEA Billy bookcase (in its original cardboard packaging) will fit. According to the IKEA website the dimensions are 80" x 11" x 5". Does anyone know or can confirm if that will fit?

I'm currently car shopping and I'm glad y'all started this thread because I love what I'm hearing about the 2018 CX-5 but the 59.6 ft cargo space on paper always worries me. (lol2)

One thing I've always wondered is whether an IKEA Billy bookcase (in its original cardboard packaging) will fit. According to the IKEA website the dimensions are 80" x 11" x 5". Does anyone know or can confirm if that will fit?

I think you'd be okay if you placed it on its side on the arm rest between the seats. I doubt there's that much length available behind the seats without sliding them most of the way forward, which could be quite uncomfortable if you had an occupant.

I measured and I think you’re about 66” from the back of the center console. I’d agree with banjo. I kinda doubt the CRV would fit it without doing something like that but I don’t have one to measure.

Back