2017~2024 CX-5 Sport mode questions

kaor34

Hey, I have a 2019 CX-5 AWD touring with the preferred package on.

The sport mode makes me accelerate really quickly, but I have some questions with it.

1. If I only use the sport mode before 30mph to get the initial acceleration quickly (the rpm never goes over 4K), would it hurt my engine?

2. Does horsepower change when it*s in sport mode? I have a friend who drives a 286HP car and I can catch him up initially when I drive in sport mode.

Thanks for the response!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sport mode does 1 thing, gives you more response from less physical input..fine 2 things it holds gears way too long esp when you're super light on the throttle. Glad you're enjoying it but its a farce!

Sport mode does 1 thing, gives you more response from less physical input..fine 2 things it holds gears way too long esp when you're super light on the throttle. Glad you're enjoying it but its a farce!
This ^^^
Its identical to "Tow mode" in a truck.

When I was test driving a 2018 CX-5, the salesguy had me try Sport Mode. I was freaking out because I thought it was winding the engine out way too much. I let off the throttle because the engine was screaming and took way too long to shift.

That being said, there are roads here where I love driving in Manual Mode and winding it out, but that's more of a controlled thing...and it makes me smile.

Hey, I have a 2019 CX-5 AWD touring with the preferred package on.

The sport mode makes me accelerate really quickly, but I have some questions with it.

1. If I only use the sport mode before 30mph to get the initial acceleration quickly (the rpm never goes over 4K), would it hurt my engine?

2. Does horsepower change when it*s in sport mode? I have a friend who drives a 286HP car and I can catch him up initially when I drive in sport mode.

Thanks for the response!

With a stock tune your most hp is over 4k lol. With an ecu tune you can regain a lot of hp/tq outside of WOT. This is where holding a gear like 3rd when you wanna quickly make a pass that's about to become available or something comes in handy.

You need racrom extension pack to vbe able to access racerm features like vsc sport mode trigfers for maps. This is not available with standard pro ecu ecutek kit.

Yeah, what he said. I think. lol

This ^^^
Its identical to "Tow mode" in a truck.

Sorry, but this isn't true. Have you ever driven a truck with tow mode while towing something BIG?

Tow mode and Sport mode may act in a similar way but they certainly aren't 'identical'.

Last edited:
Sorry, but this isn't true. Have you ever driven a truck with tow mode while towing something BIG?

Tow mode and Sport mode may act in a similar way but they certainly aren't 'identical'.

Not too big, but my Jeep in tow mode did the same. Eager tip in, held gears longer, etc. under partial throttle.

When I was test driving a 2018 CX-5, the salesguy had me try Sport Mode. I was freaking out because I thought it was winding the engine out way too much. I let off the throttle because the engine was screaming and took way too long to shift.

This. SO many times, from a complete stop, my 2017 will NOT shift out of first gear, even with my foot barely on the gas pedal.

Sport mode gives the driver even less control over what the car is doing than standard automatic, being in the wrong gear more often than not.

There is no time when it is preferable to manual mode.

Sport mode is a useless gimmick.

I find that Sport Mode is only effective to use when driving on an open road in a spirited manner. In traffic, it struggles to shift at appropriate RPM's and just feels awkward to use.... Get it on a wide open twisty road and it can be kinda fun.

WOT from a stop felt much better in sport mode on the 2019 GT loaner I had, but I'd immediately take it right back out of Sport mode after that initial acceleration.

Thing was laggy as hell WOT out of sport mode from a stop.

Last edited:
Ditto 50/50 diff lock! I'm guessing it's best to not even touch sport mode until the engine is run in.

Back