CX-5 Oil Filter - using longer one instead of OEM spec

Update

UPDATE for anyone who stumbles on to this thread: I called Purolator about the filter for Mazda SkyActiv engines and they confirmed that the PL14612 & PL14610 filters completely meet or exceed Mazda's high-flow requirements. They said they will have a engineer email me the exact numbers, will post when I get them.

Also, on the Mazda3revolution forums they posted information that the difference in filter flow is to meet the cold weather in North America/Europe. See the attached letter from Mazda Malaysia...

Announcement-16thMay2014.aspx

Looks like the filter spec for SkyActiv is higher than the regular engines, so a filter designed only for Mazda2 may not work well for CX-5 but a CX-5 filter will be fine in a Mazda2. I also found some posts about people using the PL14612 and PL14610 in the SkyActiv engines without any issues. Apparently they weren't compliant with Mazda spec when the SkyActiv engines first came out, but Purolator redesigned their filters to meet Mazda spec and they are now fully compliant. As are Wix, Mobil 1, Fram, NAPA Gold, K&N and most other filters.

But at about $6 from the local dealer, I think it is safe to just stick with the Mazda OEM filter and avoid this confusion.

The local Nissan dealer provides DIYer's with wholesale prices on OEM maintence parts. Otherwise I would buy NAPA ie WIX filters. Purolators are good, WIX better. Local dealer - Lithia Nissan - good!

The local Mazda dealer charges more than the BIG GIANT SPONSOR of this forum at the top of this page for it's DIY parts. So I buy enough OEM MAZDA parts to get free shipping from the BIG GIANT SPONSOR at the top of this page for my CX-5. In fact I bought all of my OEM accessories from the BIG GIANT SPONSOR at the top of this page too at a nice price compared to my local dealer. Crater Lake Ford is the local Mazda dealer BTW.

Thank you MAZDA MED CENTER for your wonderful service. I LOVE capitalism.

I buy all mine from med center mazda, where I bought my car and got a great deal. Unfortunately I have found the Purolators to be costlier than the Mazda OEM filters, so I continue to stick with OE filters, SN 0W-20 approved oils, and 6mo/7500mi oil changes. :)

I buy all mine from med center mazda, where I bought my car and got a great deal. Unfortunately I have found the Purolators to be costlier than the Mazda OEM filters, so I continue to stick with OE filters, SN 0W-20 approved oils, and 6mo/7500mi oil changes. :)

I was surprised to find that I'm in the same boat. My local dealer sells the OEM Mazda filters for about $1 less than the purolator brand.

The filter is only as large as needed to reduce weight. My G35 used the same filter in a 3.5 V6 for over 100,000.

Was this a DE or HR? It seems like the same size but didn't try to cross-reference on my '07 HR.

My dealer in Fort Myers FL. was charging ~ $8.75
My local dealer wanted ~ $9, I went in expecting the $6-$7 range quoted here on these forums. The Purolator PureOne are $6.49 at my local Sears and $6.99 at Advance Auto.

FYI, I never got around to changing the filter with OEM and so our CX-5 is still running on the PL14610 (with Mobil1 0W-20 oil) and so far no CEL lights or diagnostic codes. The dealer said they used Castrol Edge and this is the first time I put in Mobil1, and I don't know if the dealer was lying or something but the car runs so much smoother now. There is a very clear difference on how freely it revs, the engine noise also seems to have dropped slightly and I usually average 26-27 mpg in town but at the last top-up it was about 29 mpg. If all this is because of Mobil1, then they got a convert for life.

Also, I just got a can of Liqui Moly and will be adding it to the engine oil to see how much of a difference it makes - can it get even better?

Edit: Second gas top-up yesterday, and fuel consumption was back to 26.4 mpg - the usual range. So I think I noted the odo reading wrong or something in that last top-up, no change in fuel economy.

Last edited:
Good thread here.

I got our 2015 CX-5 2.5 oil changed at the dealership today for it's first oil change...

Looking at the service paperwork afterwards they list:
PE01-14-302A oil filter (so this is good)
0000-CB-0W20-BK Bulk Blend 0W-20 (so I wonder what oil this really is ?)

Normally I always change my car's oil and filters at home, so I think I'll be doing this the next time instead.

What volume of oil does it take to correctly fill the 2.5L with a filter change ? (for my future notes)

I got our 2015 CX-5 2.5 oil changed at the dealership today for it's first oil change...
Looking at the service paperwork afterwards they list:
PE01-14-302A oil filter (so this is good)
0000-CB-0W20-BK Bulk Blend 0W-20 (so I wonder what oil this really is ?)
Those Mazda dealers will use the cheapest bulk oil they can possibly find if you don't request genuine Mazda moly 0W-20 oil or Castrol as recommended in the owner's manual. The "Blend" means not even a fully synthetic oil which is not good.

Normally I always change my car's oil and filters at home, so I think I'll be doing this the next time instead.
What volume of oil does it take to correctly fill the 2.5L with a filter change ? (for my future notes)
Changing oil on CX-5 is the easiest I've ever seen. Owner's manual says it needs 4.8 US quarts for 2.5L with oil filter change. But in reality people putting in 5 quarts and the oil level is still about 1/4 ~ 1/3 short to the full mark on the dipstick. It'll take 5.2 quarts to top off the full mark. Most people just put in 5 quarts and call it the day.

You can get oil change kit which includes 5 quarts of Mazda moly oil, OEM oil filter and drain plug washer, with good price from our sponsor Med Center Mazda. Order over $100 to waive the shipping.

My dealer uses Castrol bulk oil. That is what is on the bulk tank.. I only had the dealer do the first free oil change and I now DMO with factory oil filter and PP 0w20/

UPDATE for anyone who stumbles on to this thread: I called Purolator about the filter for Mazda SkyActiv engines and they confirmed that the PL14612 & PL14610 filters completely meet or exceed Mazda's high-flow requirements. They said they will have a engineer email me the exact numbers, will post when I get them.

Also, on the Mazda3revolution forums they posted information that the difference in filter flow is to meet the cold weather in North America/Europe. See the attached letter from Mazda Malaysia...

Announcement-16thMay2014.aspx

Looks like the filter spec for SkyActiv is higher than the regular engines, so a filter designed only for Mazda2 may not work well for CX-5 but a CX-5 filter will be fine in a Mazda2. I also found some posts about people using the PL14612 and PL14610 in the SkyActiv engines without any issues. Apparently they weren't compliant with Mazda spec when the SkyActiv engines first came out, but Purolator redesigned their filters to meet Mazda spec and they are now fully compliant. As are Wix, Mobil 1, Fram, NAPA Gold, K&N and most other filters.

But at about $6 from the local dealer, I think it is safe to just stick with the Mazda OEM filter and avoid this confusion.

Late reply...

I can assure you that this Letter written by some numb nut 'expert' at Mazda in MALAYSIA (After sales) is TOTALLY WRONG about using a B6Y1 OIL FILTER, the B6Y1 was designed/made over 25 years ago and is a replacement for all Mazda for the past 35 years, BUT this DOES NOT include ANY Skyactiv Engines...FULL STOP.

I have never read so much bull s*** about climate and temperatures, in Australia we use the proper Skyactiv Designed PE and SH (for Diesel) Oil Filters.
Australia is well known for being a cold climate...not....what a load of rubbish from Mazda Malaysia.

Last edited:
Seriously can people STOP trying to be smart or intelligent by THINKING they are on some miracle about 'a' particular brand of Oil Filter, it is all a con job, just use the OEM filter and everything will be fine.
It is an Oil Filter not any performance upgrade, as long as it has Mazda's flow rate and by pass (PSI) rating then this is what you must use, still, the only Oil Filter which comes to this spec level for Skyactiv Engines is the OEM (Genuine) Mazda supplied ones made in Japan.

For future reference, here are model numbers for the OEM spec filter and the longer filter from some popular brands:

Bosch 3300 vs 3323
Fram 6607 vs 7317
K&N 1008 vs 1010
Mobil1 M1-108 vs M1-110
Napa 7002 vs 7356
Purolator 14612 vs 14610
Wix 57002 vs 51356

There are a number of filters that fit the CX-5 perfectly but that don't meet the proper specs for bypass pressure.

In my opinion, with the low cost and high quality of the OEM filter, I would need a very compelling reason to use something else. If you haven't verified that it has the same specs (primarily in terms of the specified bypass pressure) then it's an unknown. Plenty don't meet specs for Skyactiv engines and Mazda themselves has changed the filter they recommend at least once.

BTW, there is zero, and I mean zero, need for a bigger than recommended filter. No advantage there, you are over-thinking this. You still have to replace it every oil change to maintain warrantee protection of internal engine parts. A modern engine, manufactured to the type of tolerances attained with the CX-5 and considering the sophisticated computer controls with variable valve timing, etc. means there is very little need for filtering at all and the small filter specified is bigger than necessary by orders of magnitude under normal conditions.

A number of those filters contain internal anti-drainback valves which, considering the upside-down mounting of this filter on the CX-5, is useless. The OEM filter has no anti-drainback valve. I don't like unnecessary complications in my filters in order to make them a more universal fit. It's an additional point of potential restriction or failure due to manufacturing error. Simple is good in this case.

I was thinking about going with the longer version M1-110 over the oem equivalent the M1-108. Does anyone know which of the above options do not have the anti-drainback valve? Kudos for Mazda not having one. May have to stick with OEM.

Edit: Apparently the Wix 57002 was designed specifically for skyactiv engines and have no ADBV :). Its longer version the 51356 DOES have an ADBV per picture shown here http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...word=pl14610&ntrchngMnfctr=PUR#itemDetailTab_

Wix 57002 : http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...ck=Search_C0289_5169852_-1&pt=C0289&ppt=C0023

Last edited:
Do not, I repeat do NOT install ANY non-genuine Skyactiv (for) Oil Filters on any Mazda Skyactiv Engine (1.3, 1.5, 2.0, 2.5, 1.5 Diesel, 2.2 Diesel)
Every distributor (Mazda) worldwide (particularly in USA for obvious reasons look above) has seen issue with untested and not designed for
Oil Filters, issues like Oil Pump, and DTC's.
NONE have the correct pressure and flow ratings, and I don't care what jargon (BS) 'some' brand has listed on their websites.
Plus, 'why' do you think installing a 'longer' filter like M1-110 is a good idea, because of its size?...
You have been warned.....again.

Could someone post supporting information in regards to aftermarket oil filters causing issues? I am not arguing the fact, I just want to see what tests have been done and where there have been cases when issues were caused by the filter.

I have been using a Purolator now for over 1500 miles. I have not noticed any negative effects with it, I have ran Purolator in all of my vehicles and have never had any issues.

I use the oem filter with a sandwhich plate and have no clearance issue. Seems like the oilbP topped out at 75psi... ill monitor again.

Do not, I repeat do NOT install ANY non-genuine Skyactiv (for) Oil Filters on any Mazda Skyactiv Engine (1.3, 1.5, 2.0, 2.5, 1.5 Diesel, 2.2 Diesel)
Every distributor (Mazda) worldwide (particularly in USA for obvious reasons look above) has seen issue with untested and not designed for
Oil Filters, issues like Oil Pump, and DTC's.
NONE have the correct pressure and flow ratings, and I don't care what jargon (BS) 'some' brand has listed on their websites.
Plus, 'why' do you think installing a 'longer' filter like M1-110 is a good idea, because of its size?...
You have been warned.....again.

Actually the Wix filter is specifically designed for skyactiv engines only. It's not a universal engine to be used with other cars. Wix took Mazda's oem filter and created their version to meet the skyactiv engine's specs. The(correct oem size) does not have the anti-drainback valve. They claim to at the very least meet the skyactiv engine's specific specs outlined by the oem filter. Kudos to them for going out of their way in creating a filter specifically for skyactiv engines. All that said I'm sticking with OEM since its..well..cheaper. To the Wix filter's credit the rubber gasket thingy looks a lot thicker than the OEM filter.

Last edited:
Back