CX-5 - How to Build a Sleeping Platform

:
2014.5 2.5L Touring /w bose
Below are plans to build a sleeping platform for your CX-5.

This gizmo is great for car camping. There is exactly six feet of room in back of CX-5 when you pull passenger seat all the way forward, but there are two problems. First, there is a one foot hole between folded rear seat and front passenger seat where you put your head. This gizmo extends that last foot so you can lie your head down. Second, the rear area is 1.5" lower than rest of flat area. By putting a couple of pieces of 2x2 under gizmo in the rear area it becomes completely flat. A thermarest camping mattress fits perfectly.

Cost:
$22 - for 4x8 sheet of 15/32 plywood (Home Depot will cut into three pieces 40 3/4" wide for free if you buy there)
$10 - for five brass door hinges
$6 - for three tubes of Liquid Nails (used caulk gun to apply and and spread in thin layer with flat piece of wood)
$15 - for 3 yards of 72 inch walnut brown felt from local fabric store (its actually six square yards)
Total Cost = $53

Now I have efficient use of space in the rear and can go car camping in comfort.
Sleep5.jpg

sleep1.jpg

sleep2.jpg

sleep3.jpg

Use a piece of string and pencil to draw a radius 57 inches from end of board. It will arc up 4 inches on each side.
sleep4.jpg

Last edited:
Did you replace the pre-existing cargo cover (wheel well cover) or just lay yours on top?

I just measured my CX-5 and with the front seat all the way forward there is 6'9" That is important to me. I am 6'5"

Also I am wondering about removing the front center armrest for a bit more width. I probably won't do it but it would make it even nicer.

Frank

I just measured my CX-5 and with the front seat all the way forward and tilted forward there is 6'9" That is important to me. I am 6'5" Also if the platform goes all the way from the arm rest to the inside edge of the car (with just a little clearance) It can be 23 in wide at the front seat end. I suspect that the OP didn't go wide in front because then it would not fold nicely. (To fold, it needs to clear the wheel wells.)

What this means is that if you make the platform 23 in wide at the front and you sleep at a little bit of an angle you can have a spot 20 in wide and 6 '6" long with the corners knocked off

Frank

Just made a cross country trip and tested out the CX-5 sleeping platform over several days. Avoiding hotel bedbugs was high on my list, so I slept at truck stops along the way. Love's and Flying J have nice showers at $10-$12. Was really surprised at how nice they were with Flying J showers having marble floors and walls. Parked in car section to avoid the truck noise and let them know I was sleeping overnight and buying gas, food, and a shower.

The sleeping platform works great with addition of two 20" 2x2 wood pieces put under the rear section to make it completely level. There was plenty of room even with nylabone dog kennel on opposing side. Used a custom sunshade to block front window and a blanket spanning back of front seats to block view and light. The factory dark tint completely hid me in back seat and rear windows. The overhead handle over rear seats was indispensable in getting in and out of bed. Slept like a baby and felt great after a hot shower. Left the bedbugs in the hotels and saved a lot of money too.

Last edited:
Awesome guide thanks. I'm thinking about only applying the hinges on the back and having the bottom portion that sits in the cargo bay stay detached and just made to be form fitting. Anyone doing this should be aware that the police in any state will be pestering you if they can see that you are in there and probably want to talk. Walmart parking lots and rest stops are safest bets outside of camp grounds and parks. Also, very important to keep the windows cracked for fresh air and that the inside of your car doesn't smell and drip on you like a tent.

Just wanted to say thanks for your idea. It got me thinking about building something for my CX-5. When I finish it I'll post what I did. It never would have happened if I hadn't seen your post. Thanks for your inspiration.

Just returned from a Xcountry trip, and I used your sleeping platform design. It was perfect!, thank you for sharing this great design & idea!

Wow this is great. Wish the pictures still worked, but the general concept comes across very well. I also appreciate CC58 going the extra mile and listing costs of materials.

I'm thinking I'm going to do something similar for my CX-9. We go on a 12 hour road trip at least once each year, and since my wife doesn't like driving at night, this could end up saving us some hotel fees. Plus if we were to go camping, I wouldn't have to buy a tent.

Wow this is great. Wish the pictures still worked, but the general concept comes across very well. I also appreciate CC58 going the extra mile and listing costs of materials.

I'm thinking I'm going to do something similar for my CX-9. We go on a 12 hour road trip at least once each year, and since my wife doesn't like driving at night, this could end up saving us some hotel fees. Plus if we were to go camping, I wouldn't have to buy a tent.

Noticed your addy....

Reminds me of the time we attempted to "car-camp" in the back of our Explorer back in the day when traveling from AZ to MI. We stopped somewhere in Minnesota and rolled the rear windows down a couple inches for some circulation(mid June). It took less than 5 minutes for the vehicle to be filled with mosquitoes. Large. Voracious. Skeeters.
We moved along to the next town and camped in a motel.

The next time we tried camping I rigged some screens. YMMV.

Noticed your addy....

Reminds me of the time we attempted to "car-camp" in the back of our Explorer back in the day when traveling from AZ to MI. We stopped somewhere in Minnesota and rolled the rear windows down a couple inches for some circulation(mid June). It took less than 5 minutes for the vehicle to be filled with mosquitoes. Large. Voracious. Skeeters.
We moved along to the next town and camped in a motel.

The next time we tried camping I rigged some screens. YMMV.

Good call. We do get quite a few mosquitoes around here, some summers are worse than others. I'll definitely need to look into some DIY mosquito netting if I go further with this.

Just restored pics.

Back