2017~2024 CX-5 headlights, Sport trim has higher safety rating than Touring

Low beam is a little better on Sport trim.

Touring:
LOW BEAMSAverage minimum useful
illumination distance (5 lux)
Amount glare
exceeded threshold
Straightaway right edge109.8 mNone
Straightaway left edge48.4 mNone
250m radius right curve, right edge66.5 mNone
250m radius left curve, right edge47.4 mNone
150m radius right curve, right edge55.8 mNone
150m radius left curve, left edge46.5 mNone

Sport:

LOW BEAMSAverage minimum useful
illumination distance (5 lux)
Amount glare
exceeded threshold
Straightaway right edge119.5 mNone
Straightaway left edge57.7 mNone
250m radius right curve, right edge67.6 mNone
250m radius left curve, right edge56.6 mNone
150m radius right curve, right edge54.9 mNone
150m radius left curve, left edge53.5 m

How does this make any sense at all? They both use LED headlights. The only difference is the Touring has auto leveling units. So the upgraded auto leveling headlights have worse light projection? Not getting it.

Thanks for posting the low beam measurements. So the Sport trim has better low beams than Touring, period. Any idea why that is? Different bulbs or housing or something?

Last edited:
Thanks, that makes sense. So the Sport trim has better low beams than Touring, period. Any idea why that is? Different bulbs or housing or something?
Nope. Makes no sense at all - the cheaper trim has better performing headlights?

Not sure, but think i-ACTIVSENSE package include Adaptive LED headlights that means that high beam can be used all the time.
Edit: It has AFS, thats why.

I read somewhere that brighter LED can actually score lower on "safety" tests if they are, in fact, more likely to blind an oncoming driver. So, depending on the design and technology behind them, it's possible that this was the cause for the lower rating.

I don’t think either of the above 2 responses is the reason. Both Sport and Touring have adaptive headlights, and if you go the IIHS page, you’ll see the safety rating is specifically based on how far the low beams illuminate.

I kept wondering about this so I emailed IIHS to inquire further about the discrepancy. Here's what they had to say (paraphrased):
  1. There is a key difference between the 2020 Sport and Touring trims: the Touring has auto-leveling headlights, the Sport does not.

2. The IIHS headlight test is very sensitive to aim (like previous posters have mentioned), and the auto leveling headlights on the 2020 Touring are likely aimed differently.

3. A "good" vs "acceptable" score for headlights is not a huge difference in their book, and even with only an "acceptable" headlight score the 2020 CX5 Touring still qualifies for their highest overall safety rating of "Top Safety Pick +"

Back