CX-5 GT Lease tire contract question

I’m leasing a CX-5 2021 GT AWD and wondering if the road hazard tire and wheel service contract is worth getting. Would any of this be covered by the tire company warranty? Thanks!

Your question can't be answered without knowing the cost of this service contract and what it covers.

Generally speaking, if it is an add-on being sold by the dealer, it probably isn't worth getting.

Upvote 0
OEM tires usually carry a tire warranty from the tire manufacturer. I don't know how or why this would be different on a lease, but maybe your paperwork would address this.
I've never had that much trouble with tires but like a lot of people I have a tow insurance rider on my policy.

Upvote 0
OEM tires usually carry a tire warranty from the tire manufacturer. I don't know how or why this would be different on a lease, but maybe your paperwork would address this.
The OEM tire warranty only covers tread-wear/tread-life.

The product discussed in the OP is a "road hazard tire and wheel service contract".

Upvote 0
Tire contract? You mean to replace a tire that gets punctured that can't be repaired? Like when you buy road hazard coverage on your new tires from a dealer? If so, then tire rack sold me their road hazard coverage on a new car I had with my own existing tires and it was the same cost as they charged as if I bought the tires there.

Upvote 0
In the FWIW lease stories, I leased a 2016 Mazda 6, drove less that 20000 miles, and the tires were worn beyond the x/10 inch by 2/10s standard when I turned it in 2019. New tires were quite expensive, and in the end I think I had to pay an extra $212 wear and tear. I did have some minor wheel damage, but it fell within the $1000 allowance, as did any body damage (minor scratches). The car was damaged in the parking lot, but the hitter left me a note, her insurance paid the $4000 repair at a high quality shop, about 50% was painting half the car because three panels were damaged. No mention of that damage in the lease report, and my untrained eye frankly could not tell that the car had been damaged and repainted.

Road hazards means what? Scraping the wheels on a curb? Or bending the wheel in a pot hole? Curb rash seems most likely damage, and I wonder if that is covered.

Bottom line check the cost of new tires because your tires will not last 36000 miles, and make your trade analysis. As far as wheel damage, I am much more careful now with wheels, including where and how I park, so that is up to your analysis. I think new tires will cost you about the same as $700, so I would find out what happens when the tires are beyond x/10s --whatever TMAC standards are. To me, I think it is extra profit for the dealer because how many people ever claim on such insurance?

More unknowns with COVID. I don't think I have driven more than 2000 miles in the last 6 months.

Upvote 0
I think road hazard damage refers to stuff like potholes, punctures, and running over loose cargo. Stuff you wouldn't normally expect to see on the road. I don't think curb rash is covered.

I would get this only if my daily route involved travelling near a construction site, or if my roads had a lot of potholes. It takes a lot to damage the wheel and tire on a clean road with the tires at the correct PSI.

Upvote 0
Back