CX-5 For a family car?

ssmuff

:
2011 Hyundai Sonata
Just wanted to see how many of you use this suv as your family car? I used to own a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee and spec wise is pretty close to the same size as the new 2014 CX-5. However we have been spoiled with size since the family hauler is a 2005 Honda Odyssey. We plan on keeping the van for a few more years. The sonata is car that I am going to trade away.

^ Welcome ssmuff. Yes, the CX-5 can be used as a safe and practical family vehicle. The CRV offers a bit more cargo capacity if that's important.

btw - What's wrong with the 2011 Sonata?

Nothing is wrong. I have 79,802 miles on it. Just time to trade it in for something new.

Thanks. Good to know about Sonata, and as expected not a problematic car.

Have a 3 year old and yes we use it as the family car on the weekends and my wife uses it daily to drive him to daycare and back. I do have a bigger SUV for the Home Depot trips but CX-5 is used for all other shopping whether it be grocery or the mall. She had a Civic before this, a pain in the ass with a little kid but she says she finds everything much easier using the CX-5, plenty of room, very comfortable and great gas mileage.

Depends on how big your family is. If < 2 kids, the CX-5 will be just fine.
We have a 2 y.o. & it fits a jogging stroller & when we have the other fold flat stroller, there's still room for groceries bc the stroller can sit standing up so it doesn't take up the entire floor of the cargo area.
It really depends on how much stuff you need to carry around. We are minimalists & we bought the CX-5 in preparation for a 2nd kid. Others bought Odyssies for 2 kids.
I don't think I'd enjoy driving such a huge car 80% of the time to/from work & utilize its maximum space on weekends or road trips or going out with grandparents/friends so we don't need to drive 2 cars.
We can fit 4 adults & the baby seat fine in the CX-5.

Not a whole lot of feedback on this forum.

What do you want to know? (I've owned a CX-5 for one year and several other vehicles by Jeep, Honda, GM, Ford, Mercedes, Porsche, Toyota, Jag, Lexus, too.)

Just wanted to see how many of you use this suv as your family car? I used to own a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee and spec wise is pretty close to the same size as the new 2014 CX-5. However we have been spoiled with size since the family hauler is a 2005 Honda Odyssey. We plan on keeping the van for a few more years. The sonata is car that I am going to trade away.

I Do.

I've had 2 - 7 seater vehicles before the cx-5. The last one was a Kia rondo/carens which is virtually the same size at the cx-5. We used to go 6 in car with the 7th seat folded flat for luggage. Now we travel as , a 5 4 or 3.

A bit cramped for 3 across the rear seat, ok for short distances. big enough boot for 4medium suitcases and bits and bobs, shoes coasts etc. went over to paris last week (1000 mile round trip), only 3 in the car but there was enough space for luggage for 4 people for a week.

As there was only me, my other half and our daughter there was space for 36 75CL bottles of Belgian beer. (cheers) Although you lose space with the ground clearance of the cx-5 over the kia the rear luggage cover on the cx-5 lets you store more under the cover out of sight. As the kids have grown up the rear 2 seats became too small to use and thus if we wanted to travel 6 up would have to move to a bigger vehicle like the kia sedona/carnival. given my son is now over 20 and my in-laws can't manage long journeys I didnt need 7 seats anymore but liked the size of the kia rondo/carens I had. The mazda 5 has the silly folding middle seat which for me ruled out 3 across in the middle row with more boot space.

It depends how often you all travel together as a family and with how much in the end. The family have found it to be more comfortable over long distances than the kia.

2 in the back is perfect, I've done many trips to LA and back, 4 of us, full of stuff in the back no issues pulling up steep grades, just down shift and turn off the AC. CX5 is the biggest car we owned so far, no longer driving the A4 wagon for long trips, too small

Thanks everyone! I have 2 kids and we are keeping the Honda Odyssey for those needed times to have more room. My only concern is the Honda has 181,000 miles on it so really wanting to just keep that car in and around the city.

Drove to the Grand Canyon with 2 kids ( 1 in a seat + jog stroller) and my wife, loaded it up and went on our merry way. Had 2 sleeping bags, blankets and our all of stuff. We were comfortable and enjoyed the trip. 1600 miles all told.

Thanks Popeye. Right now I am torn still between the Santa Fe and the CX-5. Price wise the CX-5 is a great compared to the larger Santa Fe. I haven't had any huge issues with my Sonata but going to the Santa and Leather I have to jump to the 2.0T and there lies my problem. I drive 25,000-35,000 miles a year so having a turbo car makes me worry.

My Fiance and myself just bought a 2014 last week. While we don't have kids yet we plan to in the not to distant future. We are planning on the CX-5 being our family rig. We have a dog that will be transported as well. We are going to buy a yakima or thule roof top cargo box for when we have 3 or 4 people in the vehicle and the dog in the back.

Yea we have two kids 4 and 9 so car seats are not a problem. Also have a dog but most times we have a dog sitter.

CX-5 is definitely doable for two kids. I dont know what you need for positioning booster/ infant seats but if you are using 2 of them you can only put both on the outside. If you are only using 1 then putting it in the middle is also possible while having the 9 yo sitting next to them.

Compared to the Grand Cherokee, the knee room is comparable, but the door to door width is shorter by a few inches.

The CX-5 trunk is a good size, though slightly smaller than the grand cherokee. The rear window has more slope to it, which could cause problems if you are packing to the ceiling.

Good to know. Most times we would just go to the store or run errands. Just hate the thought of spending $30K+ just to have a little more room.

Yes $30 seems like a lot for a GT CX-5 but there are no other CUVs that can offer the same features for that price.
The CX-5 is the nicest car that my wife & I have owned & we can't ask for anything more than probably memory seats.

Thanks everyone! I have 2 kids and we are keeping the Honda Odyssey for those needed times to have more room. My only concern is the Honda has 181,000 miles on it so really wanting to just keep that car in and around the city.

181,000....that is just about broken in. Just took a trip from Wisconsin to Texas for a mini vacation and now hovering around 226,000 miles on the odometer and still driving perfect. My mechanic says he sees it hitting 300,000 looking at the underneath and engine. My kids would rather go in the van the our new CX5. They love those captains chairs.

Back