CX-5 Ebay Fog Assembly DRLs

Mine has just 3 wires hot/ground/acc so no blue wire. How should I go about this if I want them on as a drl and nothing else and go totally off with headlights?

Just bought a set on eBay for my Sport trim as they were badly needed (no fog lights at all on Sport). I'm not even sure how to apply one of the wires to the battery negative (is the little horseshoe thing at the end of the wire supposed to go under a screw or something?), but hoping for the best, haha...

Just bought a set on eBay for my Sport trim as they were badly needed (no fog lights at all on Sport).

Same exact situation. I got the double bar ones. No blue on this one so you can't do a blinker and i'm not sure when the white is hooked to the headlights if it just dims or goes out. I'm going to pull the fuse for the stock drl so it isn't on with the new drl.

Have you found a set of fogs to put in yet? I got the switch but haven't descided on what fogs.

I think the reason for no blue on the double bar 16 drl is because they are made to have the white go into the stock drl. If you had the tech with led in the lights and these double bar below it would look like a cat with whiskers or something.

Last edited:
Just bought a set on eBay for my Sport trim as they were badly needed (no fog lights at all on Sport). I'm not even sure how to apply one of the wires to the battery negative (is the little horseshoe thing at the end of the wire supposed to go under a screw or something?), but hoping for the best, haha...

Usually a ground wire will just go to a bolt in the metal car frame. The entire car chassis is grounded to the battery.

Usually a ground wire will just go to a bolt in the metal car frame. The entire car chassis is grounded to the battery.

My instructions are basically "white wire to ACC+, black wire to battery -, and white wire to headlight."

First, I believe ACC will be in the fuse box. Do I simply take out that fuse, put the wire in, and put the fuse back?

Second, for the basic black wire to battery -, do I just unscrew the negative bolt and put the end of the wire underneath?

Lastly, am I supposed to be cutting the headlight positive wire?

You really shouldn't ever ground to the battery directly. Ground it to a bolt in the metal car structure.

For the fuse box you can get little fuse "taps" that go around one blade of the fuse, and give you a little metal tab to stick a female spade-type wire disconnect to.
fuse%20block%20accessaories.jpg

For the headlight wire you could use something like a T-tap that clamps to the wire, and allows a male spade-type wire disconnect to connect into.
unzQm.png

For the ACC to the 15 amp I used a small Fuse splitter replacing the tiny. Some places don't have the tiny out yet and i didn't feel like driving all over to fine one.

You really shouldn't ever ground to the battery directly. Ground it to a bolt in the metal car structure.

For the fuse box you can get little fuse "taps" that go around one blade of the fuse, and give you a little metal tab to stick a female spade-type wire disconnect to.
fuse%20block%20accessaories.jpg

For the headlight wire you could use something like a T-tap that clamps to the wire, and allows a male spade-type wire disconnect to connect into.
unzQm.png

Wow, thanks so much for the pictures. I have no idea what I'm doing but your guidance definitely helps!!!!!

That's what I used to piggy my gauges of my rear wiper fuse

Is this ok? https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0002BGELQ/ref=aw_wl_ov_dp_1_1?colid=395RZR6OT0M8Z&coliid=I1CAKDOV6HNRP

Also, assuming that the wire goes into that blue thing, how does it stay attached?

Last edited:
I finally got a chance to install my LEDs. Coming from someone who has no idea about car electronics, it probably took me a solid 90 minutes.

I didn't purchase any additional taps or connectors; just bought zip ties and gorilla double sided tape. My kit had a red wire going to ACC+, black wire to battery and white wire to headlight (for dimming). For the wire going into ACC+, I basically crimped the wire, stuck it into the positive spot, and placed the normal ACC fuse back in. Same thing with the white wire to headlight (put it underneath the existing fuse for left headlight.

Question: everything appears to be working as they should but did I do something that could blow up my car?

Couple of questions for the LED DRL install:

1. Does the existing plastic surround attach to the fog light assembly or does it just clip in like the new one will? It looks like there is a screw that attaches but I couldn't tell for sure. I checked the service manual and it does not have that level of detail.
2. What is the best way to remove the plastic surround? I tried from the top, front, and removed the mud guard and tried from the bottom but neither way proved successful. Is there a consensus easiest way that I am missing? I feel it shouldnt be too difficult.

Thanks.

Couple of questions for the LED DRL install:

1. Does the existing plastic surround attach to the fog light assembly or does it just clip in like the new one will? It looks like there is a screw that attaches but I couldn't tell for sure. I checked the service manual and it does not have that level of detail.
2. What is the best way to remove the plastic surround? I tried from the top, front, and removed the mud guard and tried from the bottom but neither way proved successful. Is there a consensus easiest way that I am missing? I feel it shouldnt be too difficult.

Thanks.

plastic surround has one way tabs that clip to the bumper only, they are not attached to the fog light housing, you have to remove the bottom panel right under the foglights and feel for the seven tabs and then press them individually away from the bumper lip so they can come out easily from the front, see below, don't try to yank them out you will deform and stretch your bumper at those clip points, they are one way tabs not spring clips. the tabs must be swung away from the bumper lip edge to come out. They are very easy to remove as long as you remove the bottom undercarriage panel and get your arm inside and feel for the tabs.

attachment.php

Attachments

• tabs.jpg
    tabs.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 569
Last edited:
Great. Thanks.

Hoping to try this afternoon. Will actually take the entire panel off this time instead of half of it.

I feel like Homer Simpson with my arm jammed into a vending machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got the covers off yesterday. As someone else said, if you get the bottom tab loose then you can pull from the front and the rest will come off too. New covers popped right in.

I ran the wiring zip tied to the cable bundle that runs over the radiator without issue.

However, maybe I am just an idiot, but what is the best way to connect the battery and fuse connections? I have the LED from eBay offroad_styling and the wires seem too short to connect directly to the battery terminals as well as the fuse box.
IMG_0059.JPG

I will admit to being a car electronic novice but I have done plenty of home electrical and the like, so I am not clueless. It seems to me it would be much easier to connect all 4 wires (B+,B-,acc,lights) to the fuse box based on the length of the wires (about 6 inches each).

Any thoughts? Help a brother out. I'm sure it is a simple setup for those who do this often.

I had also planned on tapping into the 10A and 15A fuses fourth from the bottom for ACC and lights but realized I had the wrong fuse taps. The fuses in the car are very small compared to the taps. Don't want to mess anything up by jamming them in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back