CX-5 Android Auto / Apple CarPlay

Affirmative. Used it yesterday. Running late for the theater. Plugged the phone in. Backed out of the driveway. Hit the button: "Navigate to Playhouse Square".
Loaded right up and had directions by the time I got to the end of my street.

You can do the same without AA by hitting the talk button but it takes more than one command.
Yeah...but let's be honest: Mazdas voice activation sucks. Because no...I can't do the exact same and do you know why? Mazda would never find "Playhouse Square". I would have to know the address of Playhouse Square.

Both of you are right. It doesn't work for ACP/AA. I tested it on my friend's upgraded mazda6. When phone's GPS is turned off, the navigation SW will report error even though ACP/AA is connected.

You can do the same without AA by hitting the talk button but it takes more than one command.

Only if you have navigation on your CX 5 right? I use Google Maps, so being able to use AA like 7eregrine says would be valuable. As opposed to having to type the info into Google Maps.

Right. Although there are other things you CAN do with Mazdas voice like switch between AM / FM and even change channels.
As for typing in your phone, you can use Google Assistant there too and just speak it.

The way you have to enter addresses on the Mazda factory nav is so counter intuitive and frustrating. CarPlay or AA is worth it just for this alone imo.

As a person who likes cars for driving and not so much for being an entertainment system, what makes AA so great that people are willing to plunk down so much money to get AA?

Same BTW. Love to DRIVE.

Biggest draw for me is having the superior Google/Waze Nav show up on dash screen/car audio (I don't have Mazda Nav). That's the main reason I got it this weekend (though have yet to try it as I'm waiting for my new phone to arrive).

On top of that, it's far more powerful with Google assistant, texting etc as well as the more seamless/powerful external music capabilities.

The Mazda voice command is not that great but I am getting better at using it. I have to time what I say at the right time. The biggest problem is the Mazda system goes into it's "You can do this or that or the other" instead of waiting for the command again. And I have to wait for the beep, delay about a quarter second and then say the command. I can navigate to Walmart in three commands without giving the address of Walmart. And to cancel you can't just say "cancel", you have to say "cancel navigation". If waypoints are entered ahead of time then it is very easy to select one and click. Does using Android Auto use phone data?

Yes, you would be using phone data. If your music is downloaded that would help. Im not sure if downloading maps for offline in google maps does.

In the end youre using your phone.

Yes downloading Google Maps map data helps tremendously...that's why they added it. Uses no data then. Well some i suppose as traffic works.

Last edited:
Just got an email from Mazda corporate offering dealer install of AA/ACP for $199 + labor.
I guess they're ready to really push it now.

Android Auto

Just got the email from Mazda that 2014 and on can get Android Auto for $199. Is it worth it.

Thank you for being a valued member of the Mazda family. It*s our passion to build vehicles that exhilarate and inspire you. So we are pleased to inform you that Apple CarPlay* and Android Auto* integration are now available as a dealer-installed update for applicable Mazda vehicles * model year 2014 * or newer and equipped with the Mazda Connect* infotainment system. The cost to you is only $199 plus labor.

Apple CarPlay allows you to access your iPhone*s maps, playlists, contacts and compatible apps with your voice through Siri. Siri also allows you to hear incoming text messages and reply without taking your hands off the wheel. For Android users, Android Auto integration automatically brings you useful information * like suggested destinations, upcoming appointments and weather conditions * all organized into simple cards that appear on your vehicle*s center display just when they're needed.

We invite you to take advantage of this innovative technology with an installation at your local dealer. Contact your Mazda Dealer for additional information and to schedule an appointment, today.

Thanks again for being a Mazda enthusiast

Just got the email from Mazda that 2014 and on can get Android Auto for $199. Is it worth it.

Thank you for being a valued member of the Mazda family. It*s our passion to build vehicles that exhilarate and inspire you. So we are pleased to inform you that Apple CarPlay* and Android Auto* integration are now available as a dealer-installed update for applicable Mazda vehicles * model year 2014 * or newer and equipped with the Mazda Connect* infotainment system. The cost to you is only $199 plus labor.

Apple CarPlay allows you to access your iPhone*s maps, playlists, contacts and compatible apps with your voice through Siri. Siri also allows you to hear incoming text messages and reply without taking your hands off the wheel. For Android users, Android Auto integration automatically brings you useful information * like suggested destinations, upcoming appointments and weather conditions * all organized into simple cards that appear on your vehicle*s center display just when they're needed.

We invite you to take advantage of this innovative technology with an installation at your local dealer. Contact your Mazda Dealer for additional information and to schedule an appointment, today.

Thanks again for being a Mazda enthusiast

Im wondering the same thing. I wonder how much labor they charge to install it?

My email has a different price.

Copy:

Hello XXXXXXXX

We believe driving should be as enjoyable as possible through the connection you have with your Mazda. To further this connection, Mazda recently announced it would be bringing Apple CarPlay and Android Auto to you.

We would like to announce that this kit will be now available for installation on 2014 and newer Mazdas equipped with MAZDA CONNECT! This is the perfect gift right before the holidays!!

As a customer of XXXXXXXX Mazda, we want to give you the first opportunity to customize your Mazda with this useful technology, allowing for seamless, digital connection to your Mazda.

For our loyal Mazda customers, we are offering this upgrade for only $399 plus tax, which includes parts and labor.

Just got an email from Mazda corporate offering dealer install of AA/ACP for $199 + labor.
I guess they're ready to really push it now.
I received the same email ... over two months after I completed the installation on my own.

Back