What did you pay for your CX-5?

I'm in Ontario, Canada. Just purchased a brand new 2020 CX-5 Signature. Was able to negotiate $5,200 dealer discount off MSRP. I was only eligible for $500 in Mazda incentives as I was not coming from a Mazda (no loyalty discount).

Lucky they had my preferred colour (black) on the lot - I feel I got a great deal. Guess it's all about timing luck/inventory levels...

Good to hear that you are getting (5200$) discount on 2020 CX-5 Signature in Canada. Here in US, its very hard to even get 500$ off on the MSRP.

I got a price quote for 2020 CX-5 Signature soul red for 41,000$ OTD here in NJ. Not sure if i can get a better deal anywhere else in NJ?

2020 Sig CX-5 Soul RED
MSRP: 38,400
Discounts: -1000
---------------------------
Price: 37,400
Doc Prep Fee: 539
Tire/Battery fee: 8
License & Title: 500
Sales TAX : 2553
OTD = $41,000

Last edited:
Do you have a breakdown of that $41,000?
MSRP:
Options:
Mazda Rebates:
Dealer Discount:
Fees (Admin/Doc/whatever):
Taxes, inspection, registration:

Without knowing that, it's had to know if it's worth driving out-of-state to get a better deal

I'm still in the middle of my search for a 2020 Grand Touring Reserve (Deep Crystal Blue or Soul Red), but the best price I have is just under $33K (see below), and that includes all fees, a $750 loyalty rebate from Mazda, but no taxes or plates or inspection or registration fees.

2020 GT Reserve, Soul Red
MSRP: $36740
Price (with incentives): $32698
includes $750 Mazda Owner Loyalty
Doc Fee: $299
OTD: $32698 + $299 = $32997.00
no registration fees, no plate fees, no inspection fees, no taxes

I got a price quote for 2020 CX-5 Signature soul red for 41,000$ OTD here in NJ. Not sure if i can get a better deal anywhere else in NJ?

2020 Sig CX-5 Soul RED
MSRP: 38,400
Discounts: -1000
Price: 37,400
Doc Prep Fee: 539
Tire/Battery fee: 8
License & Title: 500
Sales TAX : 2553
OTD = $41,000

NJ is brutal isn't it? Unfortunately CX-5s sell really well and the dealers can hold on to a vehicle asking for a higher price.

In your case the cards are stacked in the dealer's favor. Brand new model year, very low availability of signatures and reserves currently, and multiple buyers all add up to higher asking prices. In my opinion your deal isn't good at all. Unless you are in desperate need of a car I would wait a month or so. A new wave of Reserves and Signatures should be arriving at the end of January maybe early February. With more inventory you'll have a better luck discounting the vehicle.

A 2.6% discount is laughable. At the minimum you should be looking at a dealer discount of at least 5% off MSRP. NJ/NY dealers seem to have a hard ceiling around 6.8%

Hope that helps!

Yeah I noticed that 6.8% ceiling as well, most won't even hit that. There are a few 2019 Sigs left in Central NJ. Almost all the GTR's seem to be gone at least in my area. Since the 0.9% financing is now available for 2020's, I think a better deal with hard negotiations can be had on a 2019 Sig but its gonna be tough. Good luck. Let us know how it worked out.

Yeah I noticed that 6.8% ceiling as well, most won't even hit that. There are a few 2019 Sigs left in Central NJ. Almost all the GTR's seem to be gone at least in my area. Since the 0.9% financing is now available for 2020's, I think a better deal with hard negotiations can be had on a 2019 Sig but its gonna be tough. Good luck. Let us know how it worked out.

Also keep in mind dealers will inform you the .9% financing canmot be combined with some of the Mazda rebates. So either way (more rebates, higher financing) or (no rebates, .9% financing) the customer ends up shelling out more.
The lack of deals here in the Northeast makes pre-owned an excellent alternative.

Thank you. Good luck tomorrow!

Sorry for the delay. The deal was for a 2020 CX-5 GT AWD in Blue/Parchment; just under $30k OTD including rebates. I think it was a pretty good deal considering other dealers around here still have several 2019 CX-5 GT AWD on their lots for roughly the same price or a few hundred less.

I found that the price through Costco is $500 above employee pricing. I'm not sure you can negotiate below employee pricing, or if it's worth your time.

I found that the price through Costco is $500 above employee pricing. I'm not sure you can negotiate below employee pricing, or if it's worth your time.
I looked into Costco pricing when I bought both my 2019 GTR's (first was rear ended & totaled). I had several offers better than the Costco pricing & also made them the same offer I made to one of my local dealers who accepted my offer. I never heard back from the Costco participating dealer regarding my offer. We also did better than Costco pricing when we purchased my wife's Outback.
FWIW, in my experience invoice & employee pricing are nonsense. I've always been able to do better.

Costco pricing is an earlier version of TrueCar pricing. Basically a sales lead generator and pre negotiated price. It is definitely NOT the lowest price, but it removes a LOT of the back and forth BS. Costco dealers have to adhere to a very strict set of rules of how to treat the customer, what they can / can't say. This is service from Costco is basically "one price; do it today; have a quick and as pain free experience as possible" process. From Costco price there is normally ~1000 to ~3000 still on the table depending on make/model, time of the year, model changes, etc. The value is your time. If a person values their time more than $1000 then use it. If you are a person who has limited experience with negotiation methods, or gets frustrated with the slimy tactics of dealers (hidden fees; oh this is suddly not in stock) the Costco experience is for you. If you are the type of person who will spend 6 months buying a car (10 to 15 hrs a week) then Costco pricing is not for you. If comfortable with the process/time and absolutely how low down to the nickle you can get a purchase, Costco pricing is not for you.

TLDR; Costco pricing value is in removing the time and effort in the purchase. It is not the lowest price.

Last edited:
For anyone looking to but a 2020 CX -GTR, below is the price I paid for mine. I'm not sure if I got a best deal but the information might help you if you are looking for a CX5.
Color - Snowflake white
Model - 2020 GTR
Place - North Carolina
OTD price - 35,200$ (including 3% tax, title and registration, documentation fee etc.)
I didn't buy any accessories and also I financed the vehicle from Mazda (0.9% APR). If I had not financed it from Mazda the OTD would have been 34,200.

For anyone looking to but a 2020 CX -GTR, below is the price I paid for mine. I'm not sure if I got a best deal but the information might help you if you are looking for a CX5.
Color - Snowflake white
Model - 2020 GTR
Place - North Carolina
OTD price - 35,200$ (including 3% tax, title and registration, documentation fee etc.)
I didn't buy any accessories and also I financed the vehicle from Mazda (0.9% APR). If I had not financed it from Mazda the OTD would have been 34,200.
OTD prices are typically unhelpful since each state has different sales taxes, each dealer has different fees. How much was the actual GTR and in which state?

my insurance co., Amica, sent me a flyer about using their discount pricing service for new car purchases...

anybody know about this Amica pricing service? is it just sales leads for the dealers or something worthwhile? I prefer not to be spammed by salespeople...

my insurance co., Amica, sent me a flyer about using their discount pricing service for new car purchases...

anybody know about this Amica pricing service? is it just sales leads for the dealers or something worthwhile? I prefer not to be spammed by salespeople...

I played with the Amica "Discount Pricing" - it appears to me that it is just BS TrueCar pricing. I have a feeling your theory is correct - it is just a sales lead generator for dealerships.

The supposed "deal" is 4% off MSRP. Most dealers give you 5% for walking in the door and not even trying to haggle.

Hard pass on this "service".

Back