Cross shopping MP3 vs. Tiburon I4 and MSP vs. TibV6

May take awhile to piece together an MSP kit. Another option could be the HiBoost Turbo budget kit.....i believe its like $1500, and you'll need to get an EMS which is seperate.

if you are gonna go alpine stage 0 you should go NGM sniper S/C instead because it costs the same and makes more power. How much is a seperate EMS system with tune for the MP3?

And the MSP turbo kit can be done with a front mount intercooler, wideband, all other gauges, etc all inclusive for around 3000

Rio Racer said:
if you are gonna go alpine stage 0 you should go NGM sniper S/C instead because it costs the same and makes more power. How much is a seperate EMS system with tune for the MP3?
Thanks for the tip on the s/c(glare). As for the EMS I can get Emanage ultimate for a bit less than $550. and Emanage blue for under $305.

CitizenPro said:
May take awhile to piece together an MSP kit. Another option could be the HiBoost Turbo budget kit.....i believe its like $1500, and you'll need to get an EMS which is seperate.
I guess emanage would be cheaper than say Unichip, does only hiboost make a good kit. :)( they're obdii happy are they?)

At the moment yes. I dont think theres any other company out there that u could purchase from, as a new kit. I just checked some websites & numbers, and the budget kit is $2500. I could have sworn that i saw one from them for $1500.....my mistake.

FI_FSDE said:
As for the MP3 Vs the Tiburon 4cylinder.

How much is a MSP turbo kit??? (the manifold, turbo, ecu, etc.) That could be put on an MP3 as a future mod, this puts things into perspective when comparing it to the i4 tib.

There are a couple of people that have done the MSP upgrade and my take is it's the best bang for your buck. Find a used kit with a good turbo and just get the ECU and run a Unichip at no more than 9PSI with an exhaust and not even a FMIC just the SMIC and you got a VERY fun car to drive....Minus the LSD which kicks it up another 50% fun factor if you get one.

If I did it all over again it would've been that or a Hiboost Kit. They are the more RELIABLE ways to go. Tunning is the MAGIC to our cars.

My buddy just bought a Tiburon and he surprised me with it. When I went outside to see what he got for the first time I almost Blurted out WHY.... I have never heard much about reliability in Hyundai. But then again I have never looked into it. If reliability was a big reason TOYOTA!! For the fun factor and rarity I would go for the MP3.(stereo is kickass, better than the MSP IMO) The Tib is a car I have always looked down upon, also never seen any really nice ones. This is also just MY OPINION.

Wish you the best of luck and W?E you go with I hope it's for the best. BTW I think the MP3 should be a lot cheaper than a newr Tib. I got mine for 7k out the door.(first)

CitizenPro said:
At the moment yes. I dont think theres any other company out there that u could purchase from, as a new kit. I just checked some websites & numbers, and the budget kit is $2500. I could have sworn that i saw one from them for $1500.....my mistake.
Linky(poke) Please (first) (pretty much the same as a budget kit for the 4cylinder tiburon, $2400). (peep)

Edit: found the budget kind on P.G. silly me kept checking the hiboost site.

Last edited:
avarela86 said:
There are a couple of people that have done the MSP upgrade and my take is it's the best bang for your buck. Find a used kit with a good turbo and just get the ECU and run a Unichip at no more than 9PSI with an exhaust and not even a FMIC just the SMIC and you got a VERY fun car to drive...
If I did it all over again it would've been that or a Hiboost Kit. They are the more RELIABLE ways to go. Tunning is the MAGIC to our cars.
(first) Great reply! thanks. SMIC for me (cheaper hehe). Do you mind discussing your original setup to get the mp3 up to speed level, I have a pretty good idea of what's needed but I would love to hear a first hand account.

MSP ecu is cool. seems like the easy way to go. Though like I said before emanage is cool (and I actually just found blue for $245! & ultimate $434!)

Last edited:
FI_FSDE said:
(first) Great reply! thanks. SMIC for me (cheaper hehe). Do you mind discussing your original setup to get the mp3 up to speed level, I have a pretty good idea of what's needed but I would love to hear a first hand account.

MSP ecu is cool. seems like the easy way to go. Though like I said before emanage is cool (and I actually just found blue for $245! & ultimate $434!)

Well...from experience to be honest I would go the easy route. (if you don't plan to build it.) I asked another guy, he insisted that he get a FMIC. He was doing the MSP swap and was going crazy cause he just wanted to drive the car. Solution was simple get a stock intercooler setup with radiator in all etc so you can DRIVE the car....I EVEN HAD THE PARTS HE NEEDED. It's proven that for low boost applications the upgraded SMIC is plenty. He is now driving the car without an intercooler at all. Some people are just subborn.

The best bang for your buck without plans to build is the MSP setup or a Hiboost setup since then you REALLY don't have to worry about tuning.The MSP has a handful of complications that include:

-Rear Sway bar clunk(AXR Clunk Fix)
-Blowing motor(Any form of A/F tuning)
-Broken LSD(Open Diff/Quaiffe)
-Radio issues(Get another one!?)
-Wheel Hop(AWR MM)

There are solutions to ALL of it. For my application I will go forged. I tell EVERYONE this same story. I have a buddy that hangs with the crew all the time he has a black MSP. His car was literally in ruins, it was even riding on airbags. I would take him like if he was driving a golf cart all day. Fast forward to today, he has: hardpipes, Upgraded SMIC, Vibrant exhaust, ATP actuator (8PSi) D2 Full Race Coilovers, AWR MM stock s pipe, stock ecu, no tuning and he is right on my passenger door. Mind you I dynoed at 196WHP 194WTQ just about a month ago.

Like I said, bang for your buck this is what I would do. All he needs is a Unichip and then I will be the one that needs to upgrade something to match him. For tuning I don't know about E-manage because I never have read much about it. I dealt with the MPI and had my car running for about 2 months then went the full step and went standalone with a Haltech since I wanna build it.

The Unichip is great, plug and play, no splicing wires etc and if you can, you can even get JDM Sam to tune it. From what I have read he is the best when it comes to Unichip tuning. EVERYONE is satisfied. For MPI tuning either Kooldino or Bigg_Tim are the ones to go to. There are also DSM afc that I hear work wonders, I have another local buddy Sandspeed which runs one and he is on 11PSI now and has a blast driving the car. PM any of these guys I mentioned and you can get the info you are looking for, as more me....I got class to go to!

It comes down to your choice. I like both cars. I've seen some awesome tiburons and some awesome proteges. As for which motor is stronger? No question that the Tiburons motor is the more reliable block but the protege can be done right too! I have a soft spots for Tiburons though. The main difference is 2 dr or 4 dr. Which one works best for you? Me? I love my P5. But I got love for hyundais too.

Hyundai%20Tiburon%2003-04%20-%20poison%20complete%20kit2.jpg

I say go with the msp because I own one. Kidding the msp all around is a better car. The tib is nice too, but lets be honest a V6 should put out a lot more than 170 hp. The msp is not very potent etiher for a 2 litter turbo charged car, but for what it lacks in power it compensates for in handling. The tib has a stronger block but think about the extra money that you would have to spend to add power and to strengthen the suspension. A tweak here and there and the msp would be quite the car to compete against. Oh and the mp3 is nice to but I don't know much about that car.

Why not just test drive the tib, and msp, mp3 and see how you like them.

Back