CPE performance upgrades

BadakVT said:
Car was dropped off at CPE earlier today. Should have it back sometimes Monday. I'll keep you guys updated...

Anxiously awaiting an update!! :D

We installed the Standback into Mike's car this past weekend, and everything went smoothly. We were even able to take a datalog from the car during a WOT run which I'll post later once I pretty it up a little ;)

Mike said that he was going to post an update as soon as he got the chance, but he just returned from a long trip so he's taking it easy in the mean time. Hopefully he'll chime in here with his thoughts after he gets a chance to relax.

Interestingly, the CX7 throttle doesn't act like the SPEED3 throttle in that it isn't a limitation. The throttle was wide open when we put the pedal to the floor, which is good. The bad news is that the turbo is being limited by something other than the wastegate and/or the throttle. The SPEED3/6 vehicles can maintain ~16psi to about 6000rpm without issue, but the CX7 had more trouble maintaining that pressure towards redline. It'll take some time for us to figure out exactly what's going on since this is the first CX7 in the country with any kind of engine management on it. So we're learning as we go.

But give me some time and I'll post up some graphs from the data logs...

Jordan

www.cp-e.com said:
We installed the Standback into Mike's car this past weekend, and everything went smoothly. We were even able to take a datalog from the car during a WOT run which I'll post later once I pretty it up a little ;)

Mike said that he was going to post an update as soon as he got the chance, but he just returned from a long trip so he's taking it easy in the mean time. Hopefully he'll chime in here with his thoughts after he gets a chance to relax.

Interestingly, the CX7 throttle doesn't act like the SPEED3 throttle in that it isn't a limitation. The throttle was wide open when we put the pedal to the floor, which is good. The bad news is that the turbo is being limited by something other than the wastegate and/or the throttle. The SPEED3/6 vehicles can maintain ~16psi to about 6000rpm without issue, but the CX7 had more trouble maintaining that pressure towards redline. It'll take some time for us to figure out exactly what's going on since this is the first CX7 in the country with any kind of engine management on it. So we're learning as we go.

But give me some time and I'll post up some graphs from the data logs...

Jordan

Is there a limitation or is it that the smaller turbo on the CX-7 can't maintain the boost up high?

Likely the smaller intake port is a limiting factor to the amount of air that can be pushed...

**waits anxiously for results**

Mazda3 said:
Is there a limitation or is it that the smaller turbo on the CX-7 can't maintain the boost up high?

SuperStretch18 said:
Likely the smaller intake port is a limiting factor to the amount of air that can be pushed...

**waits anxiously for results**

As much as it pains me to say it, you guys are probably right-on in your assumptions. We were hoping that the smaller inlet wasn't causing this problem, but the more we look at the data, the more it points to that inlet as being the culprit.

So I've created two graphs here. The first graph shows the boost curve from just over the boost threshold, up to near redline. This clearly shows that the turbo runs out of breath in the upper RPM's. The second graph is more of a general graph of the most important sensors during a WOT run (I'm sorry it's a little cluttered). Timing looks great, the throttle stays wide open and the MAF has plenty of room left to play (well below the ~4.9-volt cutoff). I also graphed the wastegate operation to show that even when the wastegate is slammed shut, the turbo still can't generate enough exhaust gas to maintain the commanded boost pressure.

176598.jpg

176599.jpg

Either way, it's amazing to see the differences between the three cars (SPEED3, SPEED6, CX7) despite the fact that they basically have the same darn engine!

Jordan

What's happening to the throttle position at the upper RPMs? I assume the throttle is floored. If so, then the ECU is doing funny stuff to the e-throttle.

Any idea if you can offer the Plug-n-Play version? I know Josh said if the connectors were the same as MS3 it would happen........????? If not.....then then we would be out of luck. And what did the A/F ratio look like from the factory? (assuming you hooked up a wideband)? Thanks for sharing.

Sorry I kept you guys waiting, I've been swamped at work....
Anyway, I would like to thank CPE and the crew for doing all of this for the CX-7 community. CPE handled everything professionally and I received my car back on time w/o any complications.

Ok now let's talk about the Standback itself... Mine is installed under the steering column and it's completely hidden. However, you can easily access it by popping the plastic cover under the steering wheel. It has an USB interface so you can easily plug it onto your laptop. There are a lot of things you can do with this device. Honestly, I'm not really familiar with all of the adjustable settings so maybe Jordan could chime in and help me out here.

Driving Impression:
1) No check engine light!
2) Drives just like a stock car, there's no drivability issues at all.
3) Considerable gain especially in the mid-range between 3000-5000 RPM. The car just accelerates faster than before.
4) Unfortunately, just as Jordan said, the top end is still pretty much flat. Again this is probably because of the smaller inlet port so there's nothing much we can do about this...

Overall, I think this mod is well worth the price, especially if you're planning to add additional mods later on. Jordan did say something about downpipe and exhaust are definitely possible as long as there's demand for them.
Also, we didn;t have time to dyno tune the car yet and I'll probably wait till I get more mods before I do it anyway. As for now, the boost is set at 16 psi which is just a little bit higher than stock. I'm not sure what other modifications were programmed in the Standback but the car is definitely pulling harder than before. If I have the time maybe I'll dyno it so we can compare some numbers but I can't promise anything for now. I will get some pics uploaded ASAP!

BadakVT said:
Sorry I kept you guys waiting, I've been swamped at work....
Anyway, I would like to thank CPE and the crew for doing all of this for the CX-7 community. CPE handled everything professionally and I received my car back on time w/o any complications.

Ok now let's talk about the Standback itself... Mine is installed under the steering column and it's completely hidden. However, you can easily access it by popping the plastic cover under the steering wheel. It has an USB interface so you can easily plug it onto your laptop. There are a lot of things you can do with this device. Honestly, I'm not really familiar with all of the adjustable settings so maybe Jordan could chime in and help me out here.

Driving Impression:
1) No check engine light!
2) Drives just like a stock car, there's no drivability issues at all.
3) Considerable gain especially in the mid-range between 3000-5000 RPM. The car just accelerates faster than before.
4) Unfortunately, just as Jordan said, the top end is still pretty much flat. Again this is probably because of the smaller inlet port so there's nothing much we can do about this...

Overall, I think this mod is well worth the price, especially if you're planning to add additional mods later on. Jordan did say something about downpipe and exhaust are definitely possible as long as there's demand for them.
Also, we didn;t have time to dyno tune the car yet and I'll probably wait till I get more mods before I do it anyway. As for now, the boost is set at 16 psi which is just a little bit higher than stock. I'm not sure what other modifications were programmed in the Standback but the car is definitely pulling harder than before. If I have the time maybe I'll dyno it so we can compare some numbers but I can't promise anything for now. I will get some pics uploaded ASAP!
Can't WAIT for them to release it!!!

jestermsp said:
next thing is should a ms3 turbo not bolt right on to solve the top end issue?

Yes, but it would probably create a bottom end issue. The CX-7 is heavier and has an automatic which is why they went with the smaller turbo to begin with.

Mazda3 said:
Yes, but it would probably create a bottom end issue. The CX-7 is heavier and has an automatic which is why they went with the smaller turbo to begin with.
We just can't win... The CX-7 should be available in the U.S. with a 6-speed manual, this would make us performance guys a little happier!!

benben84 said:
We just can't win... The CX-7 should be available in the U.S. with a 6-speed manual, this would make us performance guys a little happier!!

If the wife could or would drive standard I would have bought a Mazdaspeed 6. I love this CX-7, but definately would be driving the Speed 6 if I could.

With the proper adjustments to A/F, timing, boost, shift points, and shift crispness there are still some decent gains to be had here. I'm confident CPE will get us the best combination within the current set-up.

I hear you on the MS6... I would definitely be driving one if my gf didn't already own a 6s

KatDiesel said:
Any idea if you can offer the Plug-n-Play version? I know Josh said if the connectors were the same as MS3 it would happen........????? If not.....then then we would be out of luck. And what did the A/F ratio look like from the factory? (assuming you hooked up a wideband)? Thanks for sharing.

Yup, PnP is in the works (headbang)

After taking a close look at the connectors in the CX7, they are in fact identical to the connectors in the SPEED3. We're in the process of having the MS3 connectors reverse engineered, but I'm not sure when we might actually have connectors to use. We should have a better idea of the timetable shortly.

We unfortunately did not have a chance to hook a wideband up to the car. We had three different projects happening at once last weekend, so our time was very limited. However, we would like to get Mike and his CX7 to the dyno sometime soon so we can get some numbers, and then we'll have access to a tailpipe wideband. If the CX7 is anything like the SPEED3/6, it'll run pig rich after about 4000rpm.

jestermsp said:
next thing is should a ms3 turbo not bolt right on to solve the top end issue?

Actually that's not such a bad idea. A lot of the SPEED3/6 guys are upgrading to ATP's GT turbos, so you can probably find some stock stuff pretty cheap. The only problem is that we don't know if the restriction is in the manifold or in the exhaust housing. If the restriction is in the manifold then you might consider buying an upgraded exhaust manifold. If the turbo is in fact the restriction, then buying a used MS3/6 turbo would be a great upgrade.

Mazda3 said:

Though you're right, I'd imagine that some people would compromise the loss in the low-end for a nice push in the high-end. I personally think some of these guys running the ATP turbo upgrades are crazy because it increases lag time by over 1000rpm. But that's just what some people are looking for. Different strokes I guess.

169283.jpg

Luckily the MS3/6 engine has a pretty flat torque curve and even makes in excess of 200lb.ft. of torque before 3000rpm, which isn't too shabby. You're not going to be winning any tree stump pulling contests, but 297whp is a nice number for a stock K04.

Ideally we'd like to create a product that eliminates this boost bottleneck so you guys can really make some good power. The engine is exactly the same at the SPEED3/6, so there's no reason why there shoudln't be 300whp CX7 eating up the streets too!

Jordan

Back