Could really use some advice about my new CX-5 please

cswanson2

Short story => Bought a used CX-5 2016 today - Chevy AutoNation so I have an iron-clad 5 day return on it. When reviewing CarFax it said it had a transmission replaced I'm concerned about

6/29/2015 - sold
9/13/2018 - Transmission computer / module checked & Transmission replaced - miles: 38,763
9/30/2019 - Offered for sale
11/20/2019 - I bought it - miles: 52k

QUESTION =>
How concerned should I be that a transmission had to be replaced after 38k miles or about 3-ish years? I've never had to do that before.
I've googled some transmission issues, and as with anything, it sounds alarming.
How likely has that problem been fixed with that repair? Am I likely to need to hassle with that again?
I'm going to try and contact the repair place and ask why it was replaced - I dont think I can contact the previous owners any way. They kept it another year - but now I'm curious why sell a car fairly early.

I'm not asking for guarantees or anything - just does anyone know if I should be really worried or not?

Thank you! Help!

Carl

Likely you just got a vehicle with 38k miles less on the trans. If it runs fine and nothing seems off, I'd call the dealer that did it and confirm, then motor on and enjoy it if it checks out.

Really hard to answer your question. If you could speak with the previous owners, you'd possibly get the answers you're looking for.

Why not take it to a trusted transmission shop to have them drive and possibly give you their assessment?

Not sure if the older generation had sealed transmission units without a dipstick but maybe check the color of the transmission fluid for some hints to it's condition?

It is too late to request you don't worry about it - but believe you do NOT have much to worry about. I'm with unobtanium: You got a low mileage used car with even fewer miles on the transmission.
Some early 2016 builds had transmission component issues. But before that and since there are no pattern failures for the CX-5 transmissions. That doesn't mean they never fail, but it is rare. Enjoy your new car.

How is this relevant?

If the OP got a great deal on the car (relative to what similar used/new models are selling for), then it is likely worth the risk to keep it.

If he paid top dollar, then the OP should return it and buy one that didn't have a defective transmission replaced (and all of the issues that go along it).

Short story => Bought a used CX-5 2016 today - Chevy AutoNation so I have an iron-clad 5 day return on it. When reviewing CarFax it said it had a transmission replaced I'm concerned about

6/29/2015 - sold
9/13/2018 - Transmission computer / module checked & Transmission replaced - miles: 38,763

QUESTION =>
How concerned should I be that a transmission had to be replaced after 38k miles or about 3-ish years? I've never had to do that before.
I've googled some transmission issues, and as with anything, it sounds alarming.
How likely has that problem been fixed with that repair? Am I likely to need to hassle with that again?
I'm going to try and contact the repair place and ask why it was replaced - I dont think I can contact the previous owners any way. They kept it another year - but now I'm curious why sell a car fairly early.

I'm not asking for guarantees or anything - just does anyone know if I should be really worried or not?

Thank you! Help!

Carl
Can you verify the transmission was replaced by a Mazda dealer under powertrain warranty? Or was it replaced by a third party? You should feel better if the transmission was not replaced by a third party.

Generally speaking, 2016 CX-5 is a good candidate for the used car. But like all used cars, youll never know if the one you got is truly a good buy as therere too many unknowns on a used car. And its hard to verify how the car been maintained.

The transmission did have some issues for 2016 CX-5 due to a batch of bad parts been introduced into it. But usually the problem happens within the first 10,000 miles. IMO the cause of your transmission problem is something different.

I think Joe Willies question is legit. If you got a good price for your CX-5 purchase, it may be worth to keep it. Or you might consider to get something else.

I wouldnt be worried as long as Mazda did the replacement as suggested above.

How is this relevant?

It's relevant because if he overpaid for the car, then he could return it within the 5 day period and buy a similar car that did not have a replaced transmission. OTOH, if he got a good deal, then he could keep it, provided he confirms that the transmission was replaced properly

6/29/2015 - sold

QUESTION =>

Thank you! Help!

Carl

Check if the TX was replaced by Mazda under warranty - call Mazda corporate.

If the check comes out that it was Mazda then this is my answer:
There were a batch of bad Transmissions and failures had happened anywhere from 10-20-30K miles. Mazda replaced it and I have not seen anyone come back and say their second Tranny died. This is not like Jeep Cherokee Transmissions that die every 30K miles or so. This was not a basic design issue it was a batch of Transmissions that were bad. It is likely that the Transmission Mazda put it was from a salvage and refurbed and not a brand new one since car already had 38K on the clock - again this should not worry you.
Finally a word on the car itself - if its a rare trim + color that you were not finding, I would keep it. If it is a generic trim that you can find 20-30 other within 50 mile radius - you have to make a call based on price. Call AutoNation and tell them that this is your concern. If he is willing to throw some hundred bucks and sweeten it why not.

IF MAZDA did not replace it and a 3rd party did it - I would return the car. Mazda has fixed transmissions just out of warranty on few occasions and you can persuade corporate if your transmission craps out in the 60-70K mile range. If a 3rd Party did it this option is closed. So return if a local shop did it and not Mazda.

As others have said, there was a batch of early 2016 models that had transmission issues. If replaced under factory powertrain warranty, I don't think you have anything to worry about. If 3rd party replacement, there are more questions and I'd be more weary of the car unless you have more information than just "transmission replaced".

I have a 2016 CX-5 which had the transmission replaced under warranty by Mazda at around 15,000 miles. The car has close to 55,000 miles now and the transmission is still working fine.

6/29/2015 - sold

QUESTION =>

Thank you! Help!

Carl

I would not be concerned at all. The car is 4.5 years old.

Any issues with the old transmission went away when they replaced the transmission with another transmission.

Is the concern you have with the fact that the car has had a repair? Or are you concerned that replacing transmissions is a common thing on the CX5?

Last edited:
You guys are awesome, thank you so very much for your advice, I really appreciate it

- I paid $14.5k for the car, $2k less than when they listed it 50 days ago - it was an excellent deal AFAICT
- called Mazda Corp and they said it was covered under the powertrain warrantee because of "rough and noisy shifting" - it has the remaining 5yr/60k on that and I'm pretty happy with that
- Took it to a solid garage, they looked the whole thing over and urged me to do an injection cleaning, rear brake pads, and air filter (shame on the seller AutoNation) - they said the trans looked solid, the car was good and they would totally buy the car
- The garage, and all of you, said I should feel confidence, so I feel good to keep the car

Thank you very much, I appreciate it - I'll pick the car up soon with the service done for filter, injections, pads - and I'll feel confidence I have a great car

Thanks!

Carl

Np! Rear brake pads and air filter were likely needed but Ive never done an injection cleaning.

Congrats on the new ride and enjoy!

You guys are awesome, thank you so very much for your advice, I really appreciate it

- I paid $14.5k for the car, $2k less than when they listed it 50 days ago - it was an excellent deal AFAICT
- called Mazda Corp and they said it was covered under the powertrain warrantee because of "rough and noisy shifting" - it has the remaining 5yr/60k on that and I'm pretty happy with that
- Took it to a solid garage, they looked the whole thing over and urged me to do an injection cleaning, rear brake pads, and air filter (shame on the seller AutoNation) - they said the trans looked solid, the car was good and they would totally buy the car
- The garage, and all of you, said I should feel confidence, so I feel good to keep the car

Thank you very much, I appreciate it - I'll pick the car up soon with the service done for filter, injections, pads - and I'll feel confidence I have a great car

Thanks!

Carl
I echo ruthrjs comment that theres no need to do (expensive) injection cleaning. Just keep using Top-Tier gas for each fill-up.

If you need rear brake pads at 52K miles, you may need revised rear brake calipers based on a TSB as your factory rear calipers have flaws. Have the garage checking the sign of EPB dragging and uneven thickness of current inner and outer pads. Garage should be able to find the TSB and verify the problem for you.

TSB R052/16C: Noise from REAR BRAKE/Trace of Rear Brake Dragging

Thanks!

Carl

From a view of keeping my 16 CX5 till 150K miles this is what I have on my plate excluding consumables like filter and brake pads / fluid etc.
1. TX drain and fill - twice with 2k miles gap in between.
2. Coolant as needed.
3. Walnut blasting for carbon deposits.
4. Spark plugs

I have seen video of Felixd who posts great videos on YT about # 3 but I have not seen it discussed a lot over here. Also from his video the deposits were rather loose and easy to get rid of and I don't think he needed more than a wire brush and a specific carbon cleaner. I would not worry at 52K miles. And for your Transmission I would do the Transmission drain and fill at 75-85K miles.

As others have said, there was a batch of early 2016 models that had transmission issues.
This exactly. I'd feel great about it. Your car had one of those bad tranny's. And that was fixed. Enjoy your car.
OPs transmission was replaced at 38,763 miles which is not the same as those bad batch of transmissions which usually failed before 10,000 miles. Further, MNAO said OPs transmission was replaced under 5-year / 60,000-mile powertrain warranty because of "rough and noisy shifting". Those bad batch of transmissions with early failure were having delayed or slippery shifting, the worst was not engaging the gear at all. The symptoms are totally different.

The factory transmission on OPs CX-5 had different problems and it isnt the one from the bad batch.

Back