Cooling fan keeps running after turning off engine

:
2016 CX-5 AWD Touring
During the last three weeks, my CX-5 twice had the cooling fan running after I turned off the engine. The fan ran for about 1-2 minutes. I know it's normal to have the fan keeps on running if the engine is hot, but I'm talking about driving in 25-30F of Minnesota winter, my garage is not heated, usually stays about 45-50F. The trips were short, about 5-6 miles. I noticed that I might have had the heat cranking up a little too hot in the car, but that shouldn't affect the engine temp, right?

Is it something to worry about?

I wouldn't worry. Mine has run the fan when I stopped in the garage. I can't tell you what causes it other than a sensor someplace in or on the engine is hot.

Your coolant low? This was happening on my moms Lexus and we realized the radiator was 3 quarts low. There was a leak...

Check your overflow reservoir. When hot, is it near the max line?

Normal. ..now if mazda could just make an oil pump thay does the same thing for the next RX platform so thay people who don't understand machinery can be happy, too!

I wonder why some people see this and others don't. In Houston's 100 degree summers, I've never seen my fan keep running after I turn off the engine.

I wonder why some people see this and others don't. In Houston's 100 degree summers, I've never seen my fan keep running after I turn off the engine.

I've only seen this after some track laps and running it hard. Is OP sure its the fan? There's another device in there that makes some noise after shut off.

I've only seen this after some track laps and running it hard. Is OP sure its the fan? There's another device in there that makes some noise after shut off.

Yeah, it's the fans. I opened the hood and saw two white fans blowing right behind the grill. I've check the coolant when the car cooled down, the level looks good right between L and F marks, don't see any leakage neither.

I had the car since October, but didn't notice the fans keep on running until the last three weeks. And it's not consistent, only twice so far, randomly but it might relate to how I crank up the interior heat, or it might be part of the break-in process. I'll keep paying attention, maybe I'll see a pattern. Thanks all for your help.

Last edited:
The AC compressor must be on. I think if you turn it off the fan will not run when you kill the engine...

The AC compressor must be on. I think if you turn it off the fan will not run when you kill the engine...

In this freezing weather, I think I can totally tell if the heat is not on, let alone telling if it's blowing cold air :) Regardless, I'll try turning on the AC and see if I can reproduce the behavior. Thanks.

In this freezing weather, I think I can totally tell if the heat is not on, let alone telling if it's blowing cold air :) Regardless, I'll try turning on the AC and see if I can reproduce the behavior. Thanks.

The compressor will run if defrost is selected.

My compressor is always on - especially in the summer but really year round - and I don't have a fan running when I turn off the car.

^^ What does that have anything to do with it?

On most systems if the AC compressor is on the fan comes on to force air through the condenser so it will cool the hot discharge out of the compressor and it stays on for a bit after shutdown to cool the discharge...

Robertmazda: In the summer we're to busy running to get into the a/c building to notice.(thumb)

This to keep remaining oil in the turbo from coking up due to the high heat

On most systems if the AC compressor is on the fan comes on to force air through the condenser so it will cool the hot discharge out of the compressor and it stays on for a bit after shutdown to cool the discharge...

I have never heard of that before. My fan stays on after shut down after a spirited drive.

I have never heard of that before. My fan stays on after shut down after a spirited drive.

If by "spirited drive" you mean passing cars one after another and staying at 80+mph, I think that's what I did when I had the fan stayed on afterward.

Back