coolant spraying onto motor

Jordysoso

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
Headgasket was swapped and everything checks out as well as waterpump swapped. My coolant overflow tank for some reason isn't letting coolant in. Hose isn't blocked nor is the nipples on both the radiator and overflow tank. Put a new radiator cap on this morning. But what could cause this?

A bad radiator cap. Has it done this since you replaced the cap? When you say it is "spraying onto the motor"...spraying from what?

Just replaced it this morning, both times its been a Stant radiator cap, 16psi rating, maybe stock is lower? And I'm guessing it's coming from the cap itself. When I get home later tonite I'm gonna take a look at the overflow tank hose, maybe it needs shortened? I moved the OF tank to the bolt on the radiator by the headlights. I'm baffled as to why it's spraying from the cap, you would think if it's gonna spray from the cap it would just go to the overflow tank.

Sounds like bad cap (i know you replaced it) so inspect the radiator for dings, old gasket material, etc...

Inspect the overflow tube for obstructions. Take it off at the radiator and blow into it!

Took it completely off and put the hose on the jet setting and sprayed through it lol. If this one fails, Stant gives a warranty on them, I'm returning both and just gonna get an oem one from a Mazda stealership. But keep the responses coming everyone, more ideas the better.

my did this too... it come to be my cap and i tryed 3 diffrent caps and nothing? so a honda cap happend to work! now no more leak....

I think the stock cap is lower...maybe 13 bar? If i were you, I would order a stock one from onlinemazdaparts.

Yup and it was fine. The thing that caused the gasket to fail in the first place was that the motor was missing a dowel pin causing it to shift a bit and giving me a leak in the exhaust side.

Back