Considerations when shopping

New member, first post. I’m currently shopping for a CX-5 Signature trim. This would be my first Mazda purchase after owning a few Toyotas. Curious about anything to look for, look out for, avoid, etc when shopping new Mazdas. Any must have accessories?

Mazda lists the hitch as an accessory. Is that something a Mazda dealer can add-on or is there a hitch package required to be on the vehicle from the factory?

I read through the thread about the items everyone wished their CX-5 had and didn’t see any deal breakers for me. I do wish the seat memory was tied to the mirror setting.

Can someone with a Signature trim comment on the interior lighting? Are they LEDs? Do the buttons (door lock/unlock, window up/down) light up?

New member, first post. I’m currently shopping for a CX-5 Signature trim. This would be my first Mazda purchase after owning a few Toyotas. Curious about anything to look for, look out for, avoid, etc when shopping new Mazdas. Any must have accessories?

Mazda lists the hitch as an accessory. Is that something a Mazda dealer can add-on or is there a hitch package required to be on the vehicle from the factory?

I read through the thread about the items everyone wished their CX-5 had and didn’t see any deal breakers for me. I do wish the seat memory was tied to the mirror setting.

Can someone with a Signature trim comment on the interior lighting? Are they LEDs? Do the buttons (door lock/unlock, window up/down) light up?
All window and door lock/unlock buttons are illuminated. Not 100% sure about the interior lights but I believe on the Signature, they are LED.

The hitch can be installed at the port or at your dealer. I consider it a must have addition. Second to that, the Mazda OEM rubber cargo mats and floor mats are very good quality and prevent things from sliding around, and add a little extra sound insulation. If you get the factory hitch installed at the dealer, pick a highly rated one and make sure they use the cutting template included with the tow package. I also came from Lexus/Toyota and this is my first Mazda. Last thing to look out for, check your tire pressures upon delivery as they are overpressurized to prevent flatspotting during transport.

The hitch is entirely an add on. Whether dealer or Uhaul none come from the factory but all have the required threaded bolt receptacles in the frame.

There have been a lot of CX5 s sold and thus a good variety of aftermarket accessories.

I would probably consider using U-Haul or any other reputable Hitch installer Vs. having the dealer do it. The cost for the Mazda accessory one is extremely high. The Draw-Tite and the Curt are both excellent choices. I had the Curt on my 2016 and just this past weekend installed it on my 2020 Sig. I bought it from Amazon for #129 for the Class 3. I did it myself, its not that hard if you are used to working on cars and have at the minimum a floor jack and jack stands, otherwise you would be better off having it installed.
I can confirm that the interior lights on the Signature are LED.

As for must have accessories, I think the retractable cargo cover is a must.

Back when I had the '05 CX9, I installed the 2" Draw-Tie myself.
Factory one is 11/4" ad sits higher into the bumper cut-out. 2" one needs to sit below bumper.

Your call, depending on what you plan to use it for. Bike racks? or Towing? They might have different rating. Installation is not difficult. Might need someone to help you hold it up when installing the bolts.

My used '17 came with the Mazda hitch, but not the trailer wiring. Installing the Mazda trailer wiring kit was pretty easy - it comes with good instructions and everything you need for an OEM-like install. Can save yourself some money if you DIY. Part number is 0000-8E-R07A, it's around $50. With the OEM hitch, I wouldn't bother with the Mazda draw bar. It has a 1" or so rise, and can't be flipped over for a drop. It sits a little high, I think, for most trailers that you'd be pulling with a CX-5. You really need one with a approx. 1" drop. Given that the CX-5 is only rated for towing 2,000 lbs., the OEM Class I hitch is adequate. But a 2" receiver may give you more options for accessories if you don't want to use an adapter.

With the OEM hitch, I wouldn't bother with the Mazda draw bar. It has a 1" or so rise, and can't be flipped over for a drop. It sits a little high, I think, for most trailers that you'd be pulling with a CX-5. You really need one with a approx. 1" drop. Given that the CX-5 is only rated for towing 2,000 lbs., the OEM Class I hitch is adequate. But a 2" receiver may give you more options for accessories if you don't want to use an adapter.

I had to get a 2" drop and turn it upside down for my Utility trailer but I had an aftermarket Curt hitch.

l936TMS.jpg

I would probably consider using U-Haul or any other reputable Hitch installer Vs. having the dealer do it. The cost for the Mazda accessory one is extremely high. The Draw-Tite and the Curt are both excellent choices. I had the Curt on my 2016 and just this past weekend installed it on my 2020 Sig. I bought it from Amazon for #129 for the Class 3. I did it myself, its not that hard if you are used to working on cars and have at the minimum a floor jack and jack stands, otherwise you would be better off having it installed.
I can confirm that the interior lights on the Signature are LED.

As for must have accessories, I think the retractable cargo cover is a must.
Did you get the Curt #13315? I see Amazon has if on sale for $106 now. I just got a 2020 Sig as well. Can't find anyone in Minneapolis who can get me in anytime soon (UHaul, etc.) to sell and install one for me. I'm fairly handy but am in a condo with no tools/stands, so would prefer to find someone to install it.

I think the Drawtite hitch is superior to the Mazda OEM and doesn't require cutting. I thought I needed the cargo cover, but didn't get it right away and now realize it wouldn't work well for me. I think the rear tinting is sufficient to make cargo difficult to see and the cover would get in the way of taller cargo. I haul our garbage can 1/4 mile up and down our drive each week. I'd have to detach the cover each time. The Canadian all weather mats are the best I have seen. You can get them shipped to the US

I had to get a 2" drop and turn it upside down for my Utility trailer but I had an aftermarket Curt hitch.

l936TMS.jpg
Guess I spoke too soon! :) Yeah, really gonna depend on the trailer tongue height, and obviously the location of the receiver. The center of my OEM hitch is 14.25" off the ground (AWD w/ 19" wheels)

Did you get the Curt #13315? I see Amazon has if on sale for $106 now. I just got a 2020 Sig as well. Can't find anyone in Minneapolis who can get me in anytime soon (UHaul, etc.) to sell and install one for me. I'm fairly handy but am in a condo with no tools/stands, so would prefer to find someone to install it.

Yes, that is the one that I got. $106 is a great price as it is a quality piece. Anyone with a bit a mechanical ability and the proper tools should have no problem installing it.

I just installed that curt hitch today. The only tools I needed were a flathead screwdriver, WD40, a pocket knife, and a socket wrench - all stuff you probably already have. I didn’t use a jack or stands - not ideal to do it flat but doable if you need it done now and want to save some money.

I have looked at a few you tube videos it seems easy install tow hitch as stated , the video also shows step by step how install wire harness.

Latest posts

Back