2017~2024 confused between Advanced SCBS and SBS

razlapi

:
CX-5
I have a new upgraded CX-5. Its owner's manual mentions 2 support systems: Advanced Smart City Brake Support that use the front shield camera that works in speeds up to 50mph, and detects (and brake if needed) vehicles and pedestrians, and another system Smart Brake Support, that uses both the camera and the front radar, to determine if there is a possibility for collision, and works from 10mph.
My question is: in cars that has both systems, what happens in speeds from 10 to 50 mph? which system wins? The SCBS is less safer since it counts on one sensor only

You're not the only one who's confused about the interaction between the two!

SCBS works up to 19 I thought. After that it's SBS. I think. I was wrong about this once before.

In addition, what's the difference between SCBS and Advanced SCBS? I see both mentioned in the owner's manual, but only SCBS listed in the specs for any of the trim levels.

Ya same here, my manual talks about both but nowhere does it indicate anywhere if I have advanced scbs.

Not positive but I think the ADVANCED part = Pedestrian Detection?!?

Advanced also works up to 80km says the manual. I had my warning go off when I was driving around 45km and someone turned off in front of me. Makes me think I may have it ? As normal scbs works up to 30km. Strange it doesn*t say in my options I have it either but no idea?

Not positive but I think the ADVANCED part = Pedestrian Detection?!?

That's the only significant difference that I noticed when comparing the two descriptions. But which CX-5s have it? When I look at the specs for all of the trim levels, they all indicate the same thing: SCBS - no mention of Advanced SCBS.

Not the first confusing thing I've found in the owner's manual....

Smart City Braking uses the camera from the windshield. Advanced braking uses a laser from the emblem in the grill, same with the smart cruise control. The emblem is shiney if you have it, and plain plastic if you don't have it.

The non-advanced SCBS uses a laser and the Advanced SCBS uses the front camera. Using the front camera also increases the speed at which it works (up from 30 kmh to 80 kmh and it can now detect pedestrians).
SBS uses the radar hidden behind the front Mazda logo (which is also used by the Mazda Radar Cruise Control)., works from 30 kmh to either 145 kmh (North America) or 200 kmh (Europe).

How do I know if I have the advanced scbs? I*m pretty sure I was going over 30 when a car turned off in front of me and it beeped red quickly. So maybe I have the advanced? Nowhere does it say I do though.

How do I know if I have the advanced scbs? I*m pretty sure I was going over 30 when a car turned off in front of me and it beeped red quickly. So maybe I have the advanced? Nowhere does it say I do though.

That's the problem, because SBS also gives you warnings.
I know I have SCBS (up to 30 kmh) but that's because my CX-3 is from 2015.
I'm not sure when they upgraded to Advanced SCBS. I think here in Europe, they did it around 2017-18.

Easy to get confused, they are all variations on a theme and all work together rather than in isolation. There are F&R specific variations too. Its probably best that you have a read.........

Attachments

• SBS.pdf
    796.1 KB · Views: 407
  • SCBS.pdf
    958.1 KB · Views: 338
  • SCBS F.pdf
    668.1 KB · Views: 257
  • SCBS R.pdf
    945.1 KB · Views: 457
Thanks for the pdfs as always, Anchorman. They're invaluable.

That's the problem, because SBS also gives you warnings.
I know I have SCBS (up to 30 kmh) but that's because my CX-3 is from 2015.
I'm not sure when they upgraded to Advanced SCBS. I think here in Europe, they did it around 2017-18.
Mine doesn*t have sbs though. That*s the weird thing I*m pretty sure I was going at least 40km a hour

You tell by the type of emblem you have in your grill. If it is glassy you have Advanced SCBS. If it is dull plain old plastic you have SCBS that uses only the camera in the windshield. Since yours went off while driving fast you probably have the glassy emblem and Advanced SCBS using infrared and the windshield camera. I have the plain plastic emblem and I have SCBS that only works at slow speed using the windshield camera.
I am assuming you have a 2018 or 2019 model year.

Last edited:
Not true if you have the glassy emblem that does not indicate "Advanced". That SBS.

Emailed Mazda Canada. So north America does not have advanced scbs. Just scbs and smart brake support.
Mine has the regular emblem so just scbs.

Back