Compressor Surge With HKS BOV on MSP

:
Mazda, Speed protege, 2003, orange
So this las summer I installed an HKS BOV on the hot pipe coming off the turbo. I have the corksport FMIC and cold air intake kit. The valve opens and releases pressure when boosting but after the vent it has a undertone of compessor surge like not all the pressure was released. When not boosting hard it does it surges a bit more. I have the valve hooked up to a t in the vacume line that comes straight off the Intake manifold. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this?

Are you sure it's compressor surge? You may just be hearing the valve opening at low speed, it will make a fluttering sound.

Its definatly compressor surge The valve makes a really high pitched dump. The sound that follows it is the turkey that eveyone hates with our cars. That noise resonates all the way back through the air filter. Its almost like the valve isnt open long enough to get rid of all th pressure. Like I said it opens every time but I always get the last little bit of surge

Last edited:
Try giving the valve it's own vacuum reference line instead of T'ing off another line.

Ill Try that as well as check the rest of the vacuum lines. I See other people suggest the brake booster a lot too. I Don't know where that is on the protege but if someone can tell me I could give that a shot too.

The brake booster line is a good place to run a vacuum block, just place it on the Intake manifold side of the check valve imbedded in the line.
My setup: You can see the red block in the top of the pic.

Thanks for the picture That helps alot I can't do to much till I get her back out of storage but ill try those few things and see what happens

Back