College Student First Car Build

Well, yesterday I finally started the long awaited gauge install (@323 will be so happy with me). Got the car in the air and the front bumper off. Work has been super busy with the Rona. They closed the automotive part of my job so its just stocking and cleaning and a bunch of random tasks. Sedan sat on the stands for like 2 weeks for wheel bearings lol but I have a few things I want to get done while the wagon is under the knife

• Install gauges (duh)
  • Trim the bumper some more so it isn't hitting on the FMIC and making the bumper not fit flush
  • Install the vacuum block
  • Fix my fan wiring (done jankly at 3am trying to get the car ready to drive down to Williamsburg to meet with 323)
  • Swap my headlights
    • haven't decided if I want to go with the OEM or the black housing ones I have
  • Maybe install my catch can
  • Install my fire extinguisher (halfway just to have and I want to track the car eventually halfway cause I don't trust my wiring lol)
  • Finally, clean and put in my Mazdaspeed floor mats
I will try to update with nightly progress but we shall see

Ran into my first snafu. "measure twice cut once" has never been more relevant. Like an idiot and after a few minutes of research and not being able to feel the booster hose, I decided f it. ima cut and see what happens. as soon as I cut it and looked at the hose I realized I was staring at the check valve. So run to pick a part one day I'm off in order to grab one. Got the JB PLastic Weld drying overnight and then I'm going to sand and paint it within the next few days. I also got the vacuum block ready to put in. I'm debating zip tieing it to one of the lines that run along the firewall or actually screwing it into the firewall. Leaning more towards zip ties honestly.
fKpvkaY.jpg
the check valve I was hoping wouldn't be staring back at me lol
IeIHp8f.jpg

bGX7LqL.jpg

DSElMpQ.jpg

MQ5sPry.jpg

Well, I finally got the day off and made a run to pick a part. Grabbed some more brake booster hoses, fixed vacuum block and got all the lines run, Working on the car got cut short due to impending storms coming in tonight. I am off a lot of days next week due to taking off for a bunch of canceled events lol hoping to get gauges done at that time. Also been working on lowering an FRS for a friend the past few days, and everything that could go wrong did. Oh well, back to tinkering on the MSP5 :)

Reactions: 323
Murphy's Law!

That gauge mount should come up pretty nicely too
It came out decent. I decided to get very drunk and try to finish it so it looks rough. At this point, I just want the car together again. I can always go back and fox it

Got a few more things done this morning, dash cam run through the passenger a pillar, vacuum hoses installed and run, and removed my broken, cracked headlights. Gonna clean up the garage and work a lil more

I have a hardwire kit that will kill power if the battery gets below a certain point and then it doesn't take up a cigarette lighter either.

Out of curiosity what dash cam did you get? I've got https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) waiting to go into my Jeep. I've been hit twice, one uninsured and one hit and run. I've put too much time and money into my Jeep to not try and protect it. I may end up getting another for the Mazda.
I got this one https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)
Fiance has the older version and I love mine. We've been in (not an exaggeration) 6 not at fault accidents in the past year and a half (her poor Sonata) and the videos have saved our asses a few times. It eliminates all "he said she said". I had one where a lady turned into us changing lanes at an intersection and she tried to make a claim against my finance's insurance. We sent them the video and got a call back 5 minutes later saying they weren't taking responsibility lol

Keep this in mind with that dashcam...
If your vehicle is parked for a long period, it can drain the battery or power down and stop recording.

hm.. I thought our cigarette lighter plugs turned off with the car? Unless its a parasitic draw. Maybe I'll wire it into the radio switched one day

hm.. I thought our cigarette lighter plugs turned off with the car? Unless its a parasitic draw. Maybe I'll wire it into the radio switched one day

You are correct!!
I just went and tried to try and light my cigarette and the cigarette lighter is off with the ignition off.

Spencer is having problems with his car being hit when it's parked, so he needs to have his camera recording with the engine off and not charging the battery.

The camera needs 2 amps at 5 volts and I wonder how long the camera can record before the hardware kit shuts off the camera.

Spencer is having problems with his car being hit when it's parked, so he needs to have his camera recording with the engine off and not charging the battery.
Actually not yet lol. But the hard wire kit was like $10 and it eliminates two problems so I got it. The first one someone changed lanes into me and said "did you not see my blincker?"... he was found at fault but no insurance so I was screwed there. Then back in November I was pulling into my driveway and this guy blew the stop sign and was coming head on with me, I swerved but he still hit the quarter panel. I turned around and got his licence plate but he left. He lives at the end of my street and I see his truck everyday but he won't answer the door for the police and it wasn't enough damage for the police to really try too hard...

The biggest reason bought the hard wire kit was for a cleaner install and to not take up my cigarette lighter. Since the lighter isn't powered while the engine is off in my Jeep, recording while parked was a bonus.

That doesn't have a rear camera which is unfortunate but the price is more fitting for the Mazda lol. I'll add it to my cart.

Back