Cold Air Intake

:
Honda Pilot
Has anyone installed a cold air intake on their CX-9? I have a 2018 GT and was considering it. if you have, what brand did you install? General thoughts on doing it? Worth the time and effort or just a "cool" thing to have?

Check out Cork Sport. Very easy install. It helps a little but once someone comes up with a tune it is a must to have.

We've been looking around for a local Mazda 2.5T to work on JB4 development. The electornics look similar to several of our other applications so should be a piece of cake. If anyone has one and is in our area, 93065, drop me an email. We'll make it worth your while. :) terry@burgertuning.com

I like cold air intakes, but a tune offers the most bang for the buck. Burger Tuning is located in Simi Valley which is near L.A.

I've had great experiences with their JB4 tuners on my 335ix and Cooper S. I'm hoping someone takes Terry up on his offer once the dust settles and we'll see the first 2.5t tune on the market. Worst case scenario, I'll buy my new CX-5 in California and drop it off at his shop for a couple days before shipping it back to IL.

I'm not aware of any companies producing a cold air intake for the 2.5T engine yet. CorkSport makes a short ram intake, which I do have installed. Their dyno graph and advertised HP/TQ increases are better than I've seen on other cars I've purchased intakes for, but all of my previous cars have been N/A.

In my opinion its worth the time and effort if you let the car stretch its legs (ie. if you're above the 3k range every now and then). If you're just putting around the city, you'll never fully take advantage of what it offers aside from the extra turbo spooling noise from the engine bay (which is pretty cool on its own if you're into that kind of thing).

What's cold about it? It's taking warm air from behind the radiator. Tuning the intake has about half the benefit of tuning the exhaust, and tuning the exhaust leaving the turbocharger doesn't have the benefit of tuning exhaust on a n/a engine. The tuning, if actually done, not just something squeezed into the engine compartment, uses length and diameter to optimize wide open airflow at certain rpms. Smoother passages for easier airflow...at wide open throttle...is beneficial. At part throttle it's a moot point.
1586285398834.png

These are the two that i have seen...so far.

Basically the same except the K & N uses an aluminum tube and has an actual "air box".

Those are both "short ram intakes". A cold air intake, at least in the traditional sense, has a longer tube that extends further from the engine bay (usually down to the bumper where the ambient air is slightly cooler).

According to Unobtanium's communications with CorkSport (he installed the intake on his CX-5 GT Reserve), they determined that the "air box" was not necessary and provided no measurable benefit. Without a dyno graph from K&N to compare with, I guess we'll never know.

The K&N does reuse the OEM fresh air scoop, but it doesn't matter since the "box" isn't fully sealed. If it were, the intake would be pulling all of the air from the scoop, which pulls the air that flows over the radiator (just like the way the OEM airbox works). That's what I would like to see made, as that is, for all intents and purposes, a cold air intake.

Last edited:
This turned into an interesting discussion about cold air intake vs short ram intake. Which is very commonly misunderstood.

The funny thing about the CX-9 OEM intake as eluded by sm1ke is that it is technically a cold air intake. But it is very restrictive by design (like most OEM intake are). I agree with PT Guy that too often these mods are not well tuned and causes more tuning losses and barely any gains. But sm1ke and others have had good results with the CorkSport intake, so they may have done it right.

Why change the air intake? Because it is an easy to do low cost and low risk mod, and often improves (or lets say change) the intake sound of the engine (as is the case of the CX-9.) Now you have to decide if you like the sound or not. :)

You are right. Cork Sport only makes a short run intake. I guess my mind just going crazy with being locked up in my house. I will have to check out Burger Tuning since I live 2 hours away from Simi Valley. Daniel at DR Tuning who has been tuning the Skyactive motors for years said there are about 4000 tables to deal with. I can do anything with an engine but I leave the computers to the young guys. Does Burger Tuning have any experience with Mazda tuning?

Does Burger Tuning have any experience with Mazda tuning?

They just started to look at Mazda. They began as a turbo BMW tuner in '07, then branched out into to other performance related brands. They have a very large following in the BMW community. I speak from experience when I say their results are impressive and reliable.

If I lived in the area, I'd have a CX-5 2.5t in their shop for them to log some data and help develop a JB4 for the Mazda 2.5t. I hope I'm not overstepping, but I'll share what Terry from Burger Tuning said when we exchanged emails. Terry said they would only need the car for a couple days to log a few full throttle runs and to check the physical ECU connections to help devolop the proper connectors to interface with their tuner. In exchange he offered a free JB4 when it's available, or a loaner car. The JB4 is probably a $500 value. Not a bad deal for letting them borrow the car for a couple days. Feel free to email them if you have any questions.

It will not void the warranty.

I would caution on bring your vehicle in for warranty or routine maintenance work with the intake on. It can vary from one dealer to another on what is consider "voidable". To be safe I would swap it back to stock before taking it in.
Also as a side note the Corksport intake which I also have installed is not Carb EO approved. Which means in CA or any other state with similar smog regulations it will not pass the emission inspection.

I would caution on bring your vehicle in for warranty or routine maintenance work with the intake on. It can vary from one dealer to another on what is consider "voidable". To be safe I would swap it back to stock before taking it in.

This is what I would do, just to avoid having to deal with the headache. The intake box is actually really easy to remove/install. Probably gets easier every time you do it.

New 2020 cx9 fwd user here. I want to confirm again before I buy and installing the cs sri. I saw on their dyno graph that it is actually loosing a few no on low end torque and hp. Is it because it also suck hot air from engine? Without ecu tuning, can you have max gain from the sri it self?

New 2020 cx9 fwd user here. I want to confirm again before I buy and installing the cs sri. I saw on their dyno graph that it is actually loosing a few no on low end torque and hp. Is it because it also suck hot air from engine? Without ecu tuning, can you have max gain from the sri it self?

On their blog post, right before the image of the graph, they wrote this note:

Note: the variance in low RPM (2800 and lower) is due to difficulties associated with dyno testing an automatic vehicle.

On their blog post, right before the image of the graph, they wrote this note:

Note: the variance in low RPM (2800 and lower) is due to difficulties associated with dyno testing an automatic vehicle.

Thanks for bringing this up. But do you personally feel any difference with cs sri and stock intake? And also for a daily city driving would you recommend this intake?

Btw do you know whether cs intercooler piping compatible with the stock intercooler? I planning to switch it as I do feel the difference in my diesel truck. I just put 1000+ km to my odo. Is it better to put more km before changing the intake and intercooler piping or is it not a problem swithing it now. Sorry for the lot of question.

Thanks for bringing this up. But do you personally feel any difference with cs sri and stock intake? And also for a daily city driving would you recommend this intake?

Btw do you know whether cs intercooler piping compatible with the stock intercooler? I planning to switch it as I do feel the difference in my diesel truck. I just put 1000+ km to my odo. Is it better to put more km before changing the intake and intercooler piping or is it not a problem swithing it now. Sorry for the lot of question.

Personally I do feel the difference, but it is very slight. One other user has actually timed his acceleration with the stock system vs the CS intake, and reported an increase in performance that seemed to be in line with what Corksport has claimed.

For city driving, I guess it depends on how aggressively you drive. If you find yourself upwards of 4k RPM often, it might be worth it. If not, the benefit is really just the sound, honestly.

Referring to this link, they say that the intercooler piping upgrade is not designed to work with the OEM intercooler, so I think it would be best to get the FMIC upgrade and piping upgrade done together.

Personally I do feel the difference, but it is very slight. One other user has actually timed his acceleration with the stock system vs the CS intake, and reported an increase in performance that seemed to be in line with what Corksport has claimed.

For city driving, I guess it depends on how aggressively you drive. If you find yourself upwards of 4k RPM often, it might be worth it. If not, the benefit is really just the sound, honestly.

Referring to this link, they say that the intercooler piping upgrade is not designed to work with the OEM intercooler, so I think it would be best to get the FMIC upgrade and piping upgrade done together.

Thanks for the advice sm1ke and also the information on the intercooler piping. Will keep an eye on the forum!

Back