Cold Air Intake / 2016-2019 CX-9, same engine bay?

@sm1ke - Any issues yet with the exhaust? Do you still like the sound (even on the highway)? Hangers or other parts etc? I'm about to pull the trigger...did you have any second thoughts about warranty etc... My wallet wants you to talk me out of it, but my heart and ears want that cold start, deep, throat clearing, higher idle growl. Is my brain correct on what I imagine the sound to be in person?

Sorry but I don't have the exhaust installed. I know @speed3chris1 had the cat-back exhaust installed, but removed the midpipe because it was too loud. @Cx-9 Guy has the axleback installed. Maybe they could chime in?

@SnowflakeS - Thanks for getting back mate. I just realised CorkSport has a heat shield. https://corksport.com/2018-mazda-6-turbo-2.5l-and-2016-cx-9-2018-cx-5-turbo-sri-heat-shield.html

Its not fully covered as the AEM intake. AEM will not accept the return since 2017 CX-9 is not listed in their compatibility list.

When you compare the prices in Australia, buying AEM one on Amazon is cheaper than the CorkSport version. Check this out;

AEM - Amazon Australia: https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)
CorkSport Australian re-seller - https://wolfracingproducts.com.au/checkout/cart/configure/id/24154/product_id/12074/

If AEM one fits my 2017 CX-9 without any issue / CELs, I can save few bucks :p

Corksport's heat shield doesn't do anything for power, but it does keep IATs down, which means the turbo system doesn't have to work as hard on really hot days. @CorkSport does a great job of explaining everything here. They have dynoed their test vehicle with and without the heat shield, and provided a chart showing the difference in IATs. I assume that K&N and AEM's intake heat shields would have a similar effect, but I don't know for sure because they haven't provided the data to the public like Corksport has. Personally, I choose to support Corksport because they're pretty up front about a lot of their products, and they provide data that supports what they claim in their product descriptions.

The AEM intake should fit the 2017 just fine - everything under the hood (regarding the air intake system) should be the exact same from 2016-current models.

I personally have had the Corksport intake installed for just over 22000 kms (about 13600 miles) now. It's been through a couple of heavy rainstorms (see video below), some hot days (40c) and some really, really cold days (-50c). I've been lazy with cleaning the engine bay.. I have yet to clean it since taking delivery in 2018 😬 lol. Pic posted below the video to show the current state of my engine bay..

At the 1:35 mark, the wind blows some water that the car is kicking up back onto the windshield and I lose visibility for a few seconds. I am going about 15km/h below the posted speed limit, so if it looks like I'm speeding, its just because everyone else is going really slow. If I was stomping on the gas, the risk of hydrolocking the engine is a little higher, but with light to moderate throttle there were no issues.

IMG_20200910_110443.jpg

Hey @OzzyDroid yes, the heat shield wasn’t available when I ordered mine and seems expensive for some metal bits (I am sure a lot of work and design went into it- not knocking Cork by any means) but until I experience any issues I’ll keep running no shield.

I really think the AEM will fit (might take a little dremmeling/elbow grease) and it’s cheaper in AUS- go for it bud and let us know!

@SnowflakeS @sm1ke - I did further bit of research. I think the key factor is size of the MAF Housing / Intake tube diameter. CorkSport is 76mm = 3 inches. And I picked up from the AEM installation instructions that the intake tube diameter is also 3 inches. See here and look for Part List - Item 'D'. :) ..Therefore, it should work.

Interestingly, CorkSport is also using the AEM Dry Flow filter. Check it out here.

Here is a photo of my 2017 CX-9 Engine bay. The only difference is the location of the brake fluid reservoir location. Mine is on the right compared to photos posted by @SnowflakeS @sm1ke and @ntdouglas. I am guessing it is because of mine is Right Hand Side driving compared. In US, its Left Hand Side driving as far as I know.

Also, I just noticed that Amazon has jacked the Price of AEM Intake system by $61 :oops:
Gotta wait till the price goes down before I click on the 'Buy' button :p

IMG_20200910_175547.jpg

Sorry but I don't have the exhaust installed. I know @speed3chris1 had the cat-back exhaust installed, but removed the midpipe because it was too loud. @Cx-9 Guy has the axleback installed. Maybe they could chime in?

Corksport's heat shield doesn't do anything for power, but it does keep IATs down, which means the turbo system doesn't have to work as hard on really hot days. @CorkSport does a great job of explaining everything here. They have dynoed their test vehicle with and without the heat shield, and provided a chart showing the difference in IATs. I assume that K&N and AEM's intake heat shields would have a similar effect, but I don't know for sure because they haven't provided the data to the public like Corksport has. Personally, I choose to support Corksport because they're pretty up front about a lot of their products, and they provide data that supports what they claim in their product descriptions.

The AEM intake should fit the 2017 just fine - everything under the hood (regarding the air intake system) should be the exact same from 2016-current models.

I personally have had the Corksport intake installed for just over 22000 kms (about 13600 miles) now. It's been through a couple of heavy rainstorms (see video below), some hot days (40c) and some really, really cold days (-50c). I've been lazy with cleaning the engine bay.. I have yet to clean it since taking delivery in 2018 😬 lol. Pic posted below the video to show the current state of my engine bay..

At the 1:35 mark, the wind blows some water that the car is kicking up back onto the windshield and I lose visibility for a few seconds. I am going about 15km/h below the posted speed limit, so if it looks like I'm speeding, its just because everyone else is going really slow. If I was stomping on the gas, the risk of hydrolocking the engine is a little higher, but with light to moderate throttle there were no issues.

View attachment 226929
You could have used a hydrophobic filter cover like @SnowflakeS :)

You could have used a hydrophobic filter cover like @SnowflakeS :)

Oh definitely. If I lived in an area with roadways that were prone to flooding, I'd get one just for the extra peace of mind. As it is, flooding roadways are pretty rare here, and even if there was one, I'd just find an alternate route where possible. Nice to know they're still available though.

Hellllllooooo my CX-9 familia!

Just rec'd & installed the Cork SRI heat shield (ordered the Cat back exhaust also, but was told that part is currently OOS and will take 3ish weeks to get more..dang!).

Heat shield is slick - it took a bit of canoodling to get everything lined up but HATS OFF to Cork for this one! Uses the stock intake and mounting points. Nice, heavy duty material which all fits flush with stock parts. 5 stars!

Any updates @OzzyDroid?

Thanks all. I read the thread, and took the plunge. Looks factory, but better! Improved acoustics for sure, can actually tell there is a turbo in there somewhere now lol

Attachments

• 20201213_163959.jpg
    20201213_163959.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 245
@SnowflakeS @sm1ke - I did further bit of research. I think the key factor is size of the MAF Housing / Intake tube diameter. CorkSport is 76mm = 3 inches. And I picked up from the AEM installation instructions that the intake tube diameter is also 3 inches. See here and look for Part List - Item 'D'. :) ..Therefore, it should work.

Interestingly, CorkSport is also using the AEM Dry Flow filter. Check it out here.

Here is a photo of my 2017 CX-9 Engine bay. The only difference is the location of the brake fluid reservoir location. Mine is on the right compared to photos posted by @SnowflakeS @sm1ke and @ntdouglas. I am guessing it is because of mine is Right Hand Side driving compared. In US, its Left Hand Side driving as far as I know.

Also, I just noticed that Amazon has jacked the Price of AEM Intake system by $61 :oops:
Gotta wait till the price goes down before I click on the 'Buy' button :p

View attachment 227000
@OzzyDroid sad to say mate, the AEM intake will not fit in your CX9. I have the 2019 Azami and thought it will fit too but unfortunately mine has this device beside the battery (not really sure what it is) which you also have in yours and it doesnt allow too fit the AEM intake heatshield. The US/Can versions doesnt appear to have this but when you try to fit the intake heatshield, the grommet locations will be atleast 5mm off to the stock pins.

Attachments

• 58B6C924-0A84-44A0-B4C5-14FA039B0246.jpeg
    58B6C924-0A84-44A0-B4C5-14FA039B0246.jpeg
    207.6 KB · Views: 192
@geh14 .. Mate, I didn't see your comment earlier. Thanks a bunch for letting me know 🙏. I just came in to post the same information here.

However, I still managed to install it by adding few simple mods. I didn't feel like giving up after waiting for months to get it imported from US. I used three 4 inch fuel line hose to extend those 3 pins. After installing the stock air scoop, the gap between the ECU looking thing that stands in the way between AEM heat shield and the battery is very slim. To avoid any grazing between the two, I pasted a little piece of 2-3mm insulation foam (like a sticker) on the surface of the AEM heat shield. Also, I replaced the AEM connecting hump (3inch to 2.5inch) reducer as the AEM hump is bit short. See images for the end result. 1 Win 💪for me 0 for Mazda 💩. I drove today after installing the intake and the induction noises sounds great 😌. Please let me know if you need further information. Happy to help.

Attachments

• IMG_20201215_213403.jpg
    IMG_20201215_213403.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_20201215_213354.jpg
    IMG_20201215_213354.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
I am about to pull the trigger on one too. Still debating between the 3... the K&N is Cheaper by $60 through amazon than the other two shipped to me right now. I am looking for more "FUN" noises. and I think I can do that cheaper with the Corksport without the shield. Is the shield worth it?

Last edited:
I am about to pull the trigger on one too. Still debating between the 3... the K&N is Cheaper by $60 through amazon than the other two shipped to me right now. I am looking for more "FUN" noises. and I think I can do that cheaper with the Corksport without the shield. Is the shield worth it?
@r1080 mate, AEM is also another brand from the K&N family. Corksport also uses the AEM filter. AEM / CorkSport has a dry filter compared to the K&N oil based filter. IMO..AEM heat shield is the best compared to K&N and CorkSport. CorkSport team says that their heat shield lowered the intake air temperature. So it's worth it I guess ☺️

@geh14 .. Mate, I didn't see your comment earlier. Thanks a bunch for letting me know 🙏. I just came in to post the same information here.

However, I still managed to install it by adding few simple mods. I didn't feel like giving up after waiting for months to get it imported from US. I used three 4 inch fuel line tubes to extend those 3 pins. After installing the stock air scoop, the gap between the ECU looking thing that stands in the way between AEM heat shield and the battery is very slim. To avoid any grazing between the two, I pasted a little piece of 2-3mm insulation foam (like a sticker) on the surface of the AEM heat shield. Also, I replaced the AEM connecting hump (3inch to 2.5inch) reducer as the AEM hump is bit short. See images for the end result. 1 Win 💪for me 0 for Mazda 💩. I drove today after installing the intake and the induction noises sounds great 😌. Please let me know if you need further information. Happy to help.
@OzzyDroid Thanks mate for sharing. I am planning to do something different to fit it but might try your suggestion. I am on the same boat, a bit frustrating that it didn't fit after waiting months. Anyway, can you share the fuel line you've used to extend the pins? The link you've provided shows the reducer as well. Appreciate if you can show some photos on how the heatshield seats on the extended pins. I kinda remember that it is really a tight fit and seems like I can't even put the stock air scoop back. Thanks again. Your bay looking sweet now. :)

Last edited:
@OzzyDroid Thanks mate for sharing. I am planning to do something different to fit it but might try your suggestion. I am on the same boat, a bit frustrating that it didn't fit after waiting months. Anyway, can you share the fuel line you've used to extend the pins? The link you've provided shows the reducer as well. Appreciate if you can show some photos on how the heatshield seats on the extended pins. I kinda remember that it is really a tight fit and seems like I can't even put the stock air scoop back. Thanks again. Your bay looking sweet now. :)
@geh14 sorry mate. I fixed the bad url on my earlier post. Click here. The heat shield is simply sitting on the fuel line extenders. I'll try to post a photo tomorrow. Remove those 3 rubber bushes from the heat shield. Let the fuel line extenders to come through the 3 holes (about 1.5 inches of it will come inside of the heat shield) of the heat shield. You can also fit the scoop. It's a bit of a wiggle...but can do. It will be a tight fit. Btw, which state, suburb you're from? DM me

@geh14 sorry mate. I fixed the bad url on my earlier post. Click here. The heat shield is simply sitting on the fuel line extenders. I'll try to post a photo tomorrow. Remove those 3 rubber bushes from the heat shield. Let the fuel line extenders to come through the 3 holes (about 1.5 inches of it will come inside of the heat shield) of the heat shield. You can also fit the scoop. It's a bit of a wiggle...but can do. It will be a tight fit. Btw, which state, suburb you're from? DM me
@OzzyDroid you're a legend mate, appreciate it a lot. Definitely I will try this solution. Thanks again. DMed you as well. cheers.

Do it, get the AEM, you wont regret it

Does anyone know if the AEM gets rid of the bypass valve noise. I have a Cork Sport SRI that I took off my 2016 but my wife would like something quieter for the new 2021.

Does anyone know if the AEM gets rid of the bypass valve noise. I have a Cork Sport SRI that I took off my 2016 but my wife would like something quieter for the new 2021.
Nope...it doesn't. If you install anything else except the stock air box, you will hear those noises. Maybe your wife should drive a different car 🤪

Latest posts

Back