Cold Air Intake / 2016-2019 CX-9, same engine bay?

sm1ke

Work In Progress..
Contributor
:
Canada
:
'18 CX-9 Signature
@sm1ke - Any issues yet with the exhaust? Do you still like the sound (even on the highway)? Hangers or other parts etc? I'm about to pull the trigger...did you have any second thoughts about warranty etc... My wallet wants you to talk me out of it, but my heart and ears want that cold start, deep, throat clearing, higher idle growl. Is my brain correct on what I imagine the sound to be in person?
Sorry but I don't have the exhaust installed. I know @speed3chris1 had the cat-back exhaust installed, but removed the midpipe because it was too loud. @Cx-9 Guy has the axleback installed. Maybe they could chime in?

@SnowflakeS - Thanks for getting back mate. I just realised CorkSport has a heat shield. https://corksport.com/2018-mazda-6-turbo-2.5l-and-2016-cx-9-2018-cx-5-turbo-sri-heat-shield.html

Its not fully covered as the AEM intake. AEM will not accept the return since 2017 CX-9 is not listed in their compatibility list.

When you compare the prices in Australia, buying AEM one on Amazon is cheaper than the CorkSport version. Check this out;

AEM - Amazon Australia: https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B07YXNRYQ3/
CorkSport Australian re-seller - https://wolfracingproducts.com.au/checkout/cart/configure/id/24154/product_id/12074/

If AEM one fits my 2017 CX-9 without any issue / CELs, I can save few bucks :p
Corksport's heat shield doesn't do anything for power, but it does keep IATs down, which means the turbo system doesn't have to work as hard on really hot days. @CorkSport does a great job of explaining everything here. They have dynoed their test vehicle with and without the heat shield, and provided a chart showing the difference in IATs. I assume that K&N and AEM's intake heat shields would have a similar effect, but I don't know for sure because they haven't provided the data to the public like Corksport has. Personally, I choose to support Corksport because they're pretty up front about a lot of their products, and they provide data that supports what they claim in their product descriptions.

The AEM intake should fit the 2017 just fine - everything under the hood (regarding the air intake system) should be the exact same from 2016-current models.

I personally have had the Corksport intake installed for just over 22000 kms (about 13600 miles) now. It's been through a couple of heavy rainstorms (see video below), some hot days (40c) and some really, really cold days (-50c). I've been lazy with cleaning the engine bay.. I have yet to clean it since taking delivery in 2018 😬 lol. Pic posted below the video to show the current state of my engine bay..

At the 1:35 mark, the wind blows some water that the car is kicking up back onto the windshield and I lose visibility for a few seconds. I am going about 15km/h below the posted speed limit, so if it looks like I'm speeding, its just because everyone else is going really slow. If I was stomping on the gas, the risk of hydrolocking the engine is a little higher, but with light to moderate throttle there were no issues.

IMG_20200910_110443.jpg

:
South Florida
:
2016 GT
Hey @OzzyDroid yes, the heat shield wasn’t available when I ordered mine and seems expensive for some metal bits (I am sure a lot of work and design went into it- not knocking Cork by any means) but until I experience any issues I’ll keep running no shield.

I really think the AEM will fit (might take a little dremmeling/elbow grease) and it’s cheaper in AUS- go for it bud and let us know!

OzzyDroid

Australia
:
17'CX-9 & 19'Maz 3
@SnowflakeS @sm1ke - I did further bit of research. I think the key factor is size of the MAF Housing / Intake tube diameter. CorkSport is 76mm = 3 inches. And I picked up from the AEM installation instructions that the intake tube diameter is also 3 inches. See here and look for Part List - Item 'D'. :) ..Therefore, it should work.

Interestingly, CorkSport is also using the AEM Dry Flow filter. Check it out here.

Here is a photo of my 2017 CX-9 Engine bay. The only difference is the location of the brake fluid reservoir location. Mine is on the right compared to photos posted by @SnowflakeS @sm1ke and @ntdouglas. I am guessing it is because of mine is Right Hand Side driving compared. In US, its Left Hand Side driving as far as I know.

Also, I just noticed that Amazon has jacked the Price of AEM Intake system by $61 :oops:
Gotta wait till the price goes down before I click on the 'Buy' button :p

IMG_20200910_175547.jpg

OzzyDroid

Australia
:
17'CX-9 & 19'Maz 3
Sorry but I don't have the exhaust installed. I know @speed3chris1 had the cat-back exhaust installed, but removed the midpipe because it was too loud. @Cx-9 Guy has the axleback installed. Maybe they could chime in?

Corksport's heat shield doesn't do anything for power, but it does keep IATs down, which means the turbo system doesn't have to work as hard on really hot days. @CorkSport does a great job of explaining everything here. They have dynoed their test vehicle with and without the heat shield, and provided a chart showing the difference in IATs. I assume that K&N and AEM's intake heat shields would have a similar effect, but I don't know for sure because they haven't provided the data to the public like Corksport has. Personally, I choose to support Corksport because they're pretty up front about a lot of their products, and they provide data that supports what they claim in their product descriptions.

The AEM intake should fit the 2017 just fine - everything under the hood (regarding the air intake system) should be the exact same from 2016-current models.

I personally have had the Corksport intake installed for just over 22000 kms (about 13600 miles) now. It's been through a couple of heavy rainstorms (see video below), some hot days (40c) and some really, really cold days (-50c). I've been lazy with cleaning the engine bay.. I have yet to clean it since taking delivery in 2018 😬 lol. Pic posted below the video to show the current state of my engine bay..

At the 1:35 mark, the wind blows some water that the car is kicking up back onto the windshield and I lose visibility for a few seconds. I am going about 15km/h below the posted speed limit, so if it looks like I'm speeding, its just because everyone else is going really slow. If I was stomping on the gas, the risk of hydrolocking the engine is a little higher, but with light to moderate throttle there were no issues.

View attachment 226929
You could have used a hydrophobic filter cover like @SnowflakeS :)

sm1ke

Work In Progress..
Contributor
:
Canada
:
'18 CX-9 Signature
You could have used a hydrophobic filter cover like @SnowflakeS :)
Oh definitely. If I lived in an area with roadways that were prone to flooding, I'd get one just for the extra peace of mind. As it is, flooding roadways are pretty rare here, and even if there was one, I'd just find an alternate route where possible. Nice to know they're still available though.