Cold Air Intake / 2016-2019 CX-9, same engine bay?

So I did it. Spent the extra money on the AEM. Extremely quick and easy instal. Still feel like the “box” isn’t sealed well enough to avoid warm air from the bay but definitely think it’s better than stock! Got my fun noises.

Attachments

• DFA25C7F-CCAD-4B42-9F15-F0DF32FF3216.jpeg
    DFA25C7F-CCAD-4B42-9F15-F0DF32FF3216.jpeg
    324.9 KB · Views: 287
  • DBB5F965-1263-4827-89B8-2AE8CB346FEB.jpeg
    DBB5F965-1263-4827-89B8-2AE8CB346FEB.jpeg
    302.6 KB · Views: 282
  • 04D1BAF2-4425-41E3-9C0E-66B78FF6AE92.jpeg
    04D1BAF2-4425-41E3-9C0E-66B78FF6AE92.jpeg
    311.7 KB · Views: 286
So I did it. Spent the extra money on the AEM. Extremely quick and easy instal. Still feel like the “box” isn’t sealed well enough to avoid warm air from the bay but definitely think it’s better than stock! Got my fun noises.
Mate, that aluminium plate goes behind the airbox (it's sandwiched between the airbox metal and the polycarbonate AEM plate) 😌. Looking good 👍

Can someone please clarify, is the corksport less restrictive than the other 2? It sounds like the other 2 reuse more of the stock intake system than the corksport does. I wanted to know what you guys meant by reusing the stock snorkel. I’m picking up my CX9 on Tuesday so i haven’t been able to look under the hood yet

Can someone please clarify, is the corksport less restrictive than the other 2? It sounds like the other 2 reuse more of the stock intake system than the corksport does. I wanted to know what you guys meant by reusing the stock snorkel. I’m picking up my CX9 on Tuesday so i haven’t been able to look under the hood yet
CorkSport SRI heat shield uses the stock scoop as well. Check the CorkSport installation manual for details.

Any of these intakes will be less restrictive. If you sit in traffic, idling, especially when it's hot outside, you'll want one of the systems that reuse the stock snorkel. I rarely ever sit in traffic especially with my commute so for now, I have just the corksport sr intake, no heat shield. As long as you're moving, the intercooler will take care of the aits.

The snorkel is a part that bolts to the OEM filter box. It pulls air from the front grille area through the hood latch area.

All of the other aftermarket intakes may reuse the snorkel in their installation, but it isn't really for function because the box/shield isn't sealed, so you aren't actually pulling much more air in with the snorkel than you would be without it. With that said, the OEM intake does have some restrictions, namely the intake tubing, the extra bends in the snorkel and the filter element itself. The aftermarket shield does reduce IATs when you're in traffic as @The ManLaw mentioned, and the less restrictive filters improve air flow which results in a slight bump in hp/tq. The only thing you'd need to be wary of with an aftermarket filter is driving in very dusty conditions, as the less restrictive filter means more dust gets through.

Back